I want to build a single axle dump and have a few questions. I have been looking at road tractors. Mainly international 8500 and 8600 or similar My main question is can I go with air ride suspension? I have always had spring and I just don't know about air ride. Plus it's hard to find tractors with spring suspension. Most are air ride. Also will I hate 10 speed trans. The truck will mainly be on road pulling a 20 ton tag along. Moving some stone etc. won't be running to quarry. Also in terms of mileage on the tractor what range should I look to for used? Is 400k too much? The current truck I have I have out a mere 60k in 10 yrs so I don't really go anywhere. Any feedback would be helpful Thanks
Depends how large of bed your going to put on it, and what kind of air ride it is, what's the front axle etc. for the most part you can just blow the bags off and be ok but I guarantee your ass will pluck the cotton out of the seat the first time you come around a corner a little heavy and running a little too fast lol, after you get used to it it's not that bad. 20t on a tag behind a single axle dump would scare me more than anything though...... But if you've already been doing it I guess you know what your doing. The 10spd is fine, wether its a straight 10 or a super 10 they are easy enough to drive My opinion is that 400k is no too many miles if the truck has been cared for......on the same token I have seen trucks that were ragged out pos junk at 200k so each truck is different. Pj