Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Building my own PE250x400 Tracked Jaw Crusher Build – Need Advice on Hydraulic Drive vs Separate Diesel & Yanmar Engine Options

naved · 2026-08-16 23:22

I've recently bought an old Morooka YFW40R tracked carrier and a Chinese PE250x400 jaw crusher, with the plan of building my own small tracked crusher. The Morooka came with a Yanmar 4T95L-FW, but unfortunately the engine has had water sitting in it and is currently seized. I'm trying to decide which direction to go from here and thought some of you guys might have experience with these older machines. Firstly, does anyone know a good source for parts or rebuild kits for the Yanmar 4T95L-FW? I've been struggling to find much for this particular engine. Alternatively, does anyone know of a reasonably common replacement engine that will suit the SAE 4 bellhousing setup without having to completely reinvent everything? I'm also trying to decide whether to run the crusher from the Morooka's hydraulic system, or fit a small additional diesel engine dedicated to driving the crusher. I'd be interested to hear the pros and cons of each setup from anyone who's done something similar. If I go hydraulic, I'd also be interested to know what sort of hydraulic motor/pump setups people have used for jaw crushers of this size, what pressure and flow you're running, and how well hydraulic drive handles the shock loading from the crusher. I'm documenting the whole project as I go. This first video shows what I've started with and what I'm planning: Any advice on the Yanmar, suitable replacement engines, or the best way to drive the crusher would be appreciated.

Replies47
  1. #1JRK2026-08-17 04:36

    Did you ask the manufacturer of the crusher how much power the crusher needs to operate? How much rpm? With information you can calculate backwards if the hydraulic power of the Motorola is sufficient.

  2. #2JRK2026-08-17 04:41

    If I were in your shoes I would try to stick as much as possible with prefabricated solutions as possible. I did an engine swap a few years ago and building from scratch costs time and money. This thread gives a little insight, it's about a forklift but the thoughts behind it are almost the same HeavyEquipmentForums

  3. #3naved2026-08-17 04:41

    Needs 15kw to run the crusher. Rpm needs to be approximately 300 rpm has a 800mm flywheel pulley on the crusher. Yanmar engine is 64hp so has the power but im not sure how to spec pumps and motors yet. Need to do more research. There are 2 gear pumps unused on the marooka that were for the lift cylinder but with no part number im not sure the specs on them.. how worried should I be about oil heat?

  4. #4JRK2026-08-17 04:42

    Does it make sense to have an overload clutch before the crusher in case some material blocks it?

  5. #5JRK2026-08-17 04:44

    300rpm for which shaft? The flywheel or the drive shaft of the drive motor?

  6. #6naved2026-08-17 04:45

    I guessed thats what the belts were for bust could add an extra bit of security.

  7. #7naved2026-08-17 04:49

    Flywheel

  8. #8JRK2026-08-17 05:00

    Do you some numbers or typeplates on the pumps? Post the serial number of the machine maybe somebody can provide a manual

  9. #9naved2026-08-17 05:05

    There are numbers on the pumps but can't match them to anything I'll attach them here. And all the cab and everything was removed from the marooka frame so I dont have a serial number but it is a YFW40R.

  10. #10JRK2026-08-17 05:39

    Ok I thought just the engine has to be replaced. Do you have the parts for operating the drivetrain ? I would think about getting the Mooroka running first. Pumps : look for pump shops supplying Japanese pumps if you can make any sense of the numbers Cooling: I assume the engineers at mooroka did the work already for you . At least when you use the main pumps

  11. #11JRK2026-08-17 05:42

    I try to find the pump manufacturer of my Toyotas in the afternoon maybe it is easier to Google with a name and rhe numbers. I assume the number with the letters is the type

  12. #12naved2026-08-17 05:43

    Engine hasn't been replaced yet just looking to rebuild the one I have just need to find the rebuild parts. Cooling i mean using a pump to running the crusher will generate more heat then the tip cylinder would ever use so my thought is the stock morroka cooling system may not be sufficient?

  13. #13JRK2026-08-17 05:46

    The Hydraulic drive train has the same load when you think of going uphill full loaded 8 hours a day imho

  14. #14naved2026-08-17 05:48

    That is true

  15. #15JRK2026-08-17 05:58

    I didn't fully get it. Do you have the control lever for forward and reverse from the cabin?do you have all the electronics to control the hydraulics ? Probably this is harder to get than a used yanmar engine or parts for the engine

  16. #16naved2026-08-17 06:01

    Its an older machine with large pumps with internal valuing using linkage so no electricrontic hydraulics are all manual. Not much left of the machine but enough to use it. Have a quick look through my video you will see.

  17. #17JRK2026-08-17 06:13

    Ok so you think you get it working once the engine is working ?

  18. #18naved2026-08-17 06:15

    Yes the rest all looks ok

  19. #19JRK2026-08-17 06:22

    Ok when you stick with Hydraulic motor you have to think about an similar application for example a concrete mixer drive motor from a truck. Try to get spec and check if it fits to the main or auxiliary pump.

  20. #20JRK2026-08-17 06:23

    When you think about a second diesel engine i think about some kind of clutch cause it has to start with no load

  21. #21naved2026-08-17 06:27

    Yes I can fit a different aux pump to the back of the track pumps if i need to, so I dont have to use the small gear pumps if they are not suitable. I will have a look at what the mixers use.

  22. #22naved2026-08-17 06:29

    That is also true. You can get a diesel engine with the crusher but its still only connected by belts so starter motor also has to turn the weight of the flywheel. But I could use a belt tensioner to release and apply drive.

  23. #23JRK2026-08-17 06:59

    Does that work without the belts slipping over the groove while engaging ? I only know that from very old flat belts

  24. #24JRK2026-08-17 07:52

    Pump gears 1L*DL26B Roquet Distributors of products Roquet. Axis L-type outputs flange cover 26 www.hidraflex.com

  25. #25JRK2026-08-17 08:12

    PEDRO ROQUET PUMPE 1L35DE10B, WP09A1B230R06NB160N PEDRO ROQUET PUMPE 1L35DE10B, WP09A1B230R06NB160N www.lutz-hydraulik.biz

  26. #26HarleyHappy2026-08-17 11:05

    I have built a couple of crusher’s, you will be having fun. Best way for a feed is to use a 2 yard dumpster. Pre made, reasonably cheap and easy to reinforce. the main hydraulic drive pump could be used for the crusher and then use the smaller one for the drive motors as it will never move as much as originally. Fun project. One I built has a Cat 3306 for the mill and neither mill I built were mobile. Just rigged up sled frames with H beams, so it could be dragged around.

  27. #27JRK2026-08-17 11:57

    I had the time watch your video. Interesting work. Brave to start even with no Hydraulic fluid in the pumps and the main drive motors. Would be my biggest concern.

  28. #28naved2026-08-17 14:36

    when i disconnected the hoses a lot of hydraulic fluid came out so wasn't sitting dry. i tend to punish my self on these projects. but i like a good challenge.

  29. #29naved2026-08-17 14:40

    Oh yeah love building things and im quite excited about this one. i cant use the main hydraulic pump as they have built in valving so without disconnecting or bypassing the final drive it will also spin the tracks. i have to make mine mobile as i only have a 5.5ton excavator so it would not be able to pull the skid but that would have been much easier to build if i had a bigger excavator.

  30. #30John C.2026-08-18 12:04

    Who is the manufacturer of the hydraulic system? I've done inspections on Marooka tracked dumps that used Komatsu engines and hydraulic systems. The Komatsu valves had an extra or auxiliary valve that might be used to power your crusher. Komatsu also made small tracked crushers that I've worked on and appraised that you might be able to model on.

  31. #31naved2026-08-18 16:59

    not sure who makes the hydraulic system ill clean the pumps and see if i can find any makers codes, what manufacture years were the ones you worked on? do you have a couple pictures? thanks

  32. #32JRK2026-08-19 02:58

    The 2 links above are probably your two auxiliary pumps.

  33. #33JRK2026-08-19 03:00

    Search for "pump 1L35DE10B" manufacturer seems to be roquet from Spain

  34. #34JRK2026-08-19 03:09

    Did you find any numbers on the main pump?

  35. #35naved2026-08-19 04:39

    No I have not looked yet. Will have to wait till the weekend. Thanks for the links

  36. #36Welder Dave2026-09-09 14:48

    I'm not sure it's a good idea to use the Marooka hydraulics to power it. Cooling could be an issue and if you had a component failure could wipe out the entire system from contamination. I think a separate independent hydraulic system would be better.

  37. #37ianjoub2026-09-09 16:43

    Try messaging these sellers and asking them for what you need. Amazon.com: SCuteitus 3T75 Overhaul Rebuild Kit Compatible for Yanmar 3T75 3T75HA Engine YM220D YM250D YM226 YM226D Tractor Piston 121550-22020 12155022020 : Automotive Buy SCuteitus 3T75 Overhaul Rebuild Kit Compatible for Yanmar 3T75 3T75HA Engine YM220D YM250D YM226 YM226D Tractor Piston 121550-22020 12155022020: Engine Kits - Amazon.com ✓ FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases www.amazon.com Amazon.com: Overhaul Rebuild Kit for Yanmar Engine 4TNV84T (Bearing Size:Standard) : Automotive Buy Overhaul Rebuild Kit for Yanmar Engine 4TNV84T (Bearing Size:Standard): Pistons & Pins - Amazon.com ✓ FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases www.amazon.com

  38. #38Tones2026-09-09 17:23

    I'm also in the separate engine camp for all the reasons already mentioned. It also gives you 2 options on driving the jaw, mechanical or hydraulic. Going down the hydraulic road IMHO a hydraulic transmission pump on a closed loop curcuit to drive the jaw would be the best option with another pump to drive the rest. Both pumps should not be electricity operated just to keep it simple Most concrete agitators I've seen use hydraulic transmission pumps to drive the bowl.

  39. #39ianjoub2026-09-09 17:36

    I skimmed more than read, but generator and electric drive for crusher an option? I had priced out a tracked unit from China 4 or 5 years ago. Their design included a big diesel genny to power everything electrically instead of hydraulics.

  40. #40crane operator2026-09-09 17:45

    Most of the older quarry jaws had diesel engines mounted, and belt drive systems. Remote quarries still run gensets, but most have electricity run to site. I don't see near as much diesel equipment as I used to.

  41. #41John C.2026-09-10 22:31

    Here is a drawing of a Komatsu tracked jaw crusher. Powered by a 4D95 Komatsu diesel engine.

  42. #42naved2026-09-23 05:52

    That sounds like a good idea use the back smaller pumps but draw its own oil.

  43. #43naved2026-09-23 05:53

    Yes I think you right one circuit for driving the tracks another with a bigger cooler for the crusher.

  44. #44naved2026-09-23 05:55

    Yeah that would be ok to do but then I need to buy an expensive generator and motors.

  45. #45naved2026-09-23 05:55

    Looks pretty similar to what is in my head.

  46. #46naved2026-09-23 05:56

    Do you think I need rubber isolators between the rusher and the marooka frame or solid mounting should be ok?

  47. #47John C.2026-09-23 11:46

    The Komatsu stuff is all solid mounted. The vibrations work their way through the frame and the undercarriage. The whole machine will move when something big hits. The crusher is belt driven from a big hydraulic motor as I recall.