Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

bushing clearance

geminijo ยท 2018-08-13 11:41

I'm in the middle of a shuttle rebuild on a 1989 John Deere 310c.The brass bushing that came with the rebuild kit is about .010" too small and needs to be bored to fit the input shaft.Can anyone tell me what the recommended clearance should be? I have a complete shop manual for the hoe but can't find that info.in there.Thanks

Replies8
  1. #1thepumpguysc2018-08-13 18:42

    You said, "the input shaft"?? Measure the outside of the shaft & add no more than .003"-.005".. just a guess on my part using fuel injection as experience.. Why not measure the old one?

  2. #2JL Sargent2018-08-13 20:03

    If it would help, I believe I can look that info up on a 310E ?

  3. #3geminijo2018-08-13 22:18

    I damaged the original bushing when I removed it from the front cover assembly and did not measure it before hand,not thinking that the new one in the rebuild kit would have to be resized. A local automotive transmission shop also said around .005 but I spoke with a very young local John Deere mechanic who said no more than .001 because the bushing is brass and considered self lubricating, so I really don't know what to think.As far as using the specs for a 310E I don"t know what you have for a shuttle in that model but I would think it would be similar engineering so it would be great to know that.Thanks alot for the replies gentlemen.Sometimes it seems the simple information is the most difficult to find

  4. #4thepumpguysc2018-08-14 05:53

    I know in my industry, anything that NEEDS to be reamed, has a special tool/reamer.. Prob. the same w/ your bushing.. everybody just grabs "the tool" & gets the job done.?? I never thought about measuring "the tool".. I do know that when I get done, I cant move the shafts.. but they spin.. SO its gotta be less than a couple thou..?? I think you might be asking the wrong question?? How about, "does anyone have the reamer to ream the input shaft bushing"?? {google} Do they even mention a reamer/tool in the book?? What about any other special tools you may need..?? Might just be a crappy book..

  5. #5JL Sargent2018-08-14 10:26
  6. #6geminijo2018-08-14 10:36
  7. #7geminijo2018-08-14 11:16

    Pump guy,I couldn't agree more about the lack of detailed info in the service /shop manual and it's the original John Deere manual.It doesn't cover many things related to disassembly/reassembly for instance the manual doesn't even mention the needle bearing in the planetary hub assembly.Well that bearing requires a pilot bearing puller and a slide hammer to get out.Fortunately I have a local O'Rielys auto parts store that has specialty tools that a person can sign out at no charge There is also a couple of local machine shops that will do the bushing work so I'll probably bring it to one of them because I have no experience with this type of thing and would hate to start practicing on this project. JL,Perhaps there are some significant differences between our 310's.What I need to know is the ID of the brass bushing (located in the front cover of the shuttle) in relationship to the OD of the shuttle input shaft. (the shaft that connects the output of the torque converter to the input of the shuttle).Thanks once again.

  8. #8JL Sargent2018-08-14 11:29

    Apparently so. Sorry that didn't help.