Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bushing removal

jack345 ยท 2012-11-17 11:33

My winter project will be starting in next few months, I plan on replacing swing bracket bushings and pins on my Kubota ex all the bushings are pressed type and are NOT welded what type of hand tools will I need ? I do have a hand press used for working on pickups etc. Thanks

Replies7
  1. #1Permafrost-ed2012-11-17 15:33

    Ive done this in the bush a few times on 200 and 300 size machines. You didn't mention the size of the machine but I doubt its rocket science either way. I run a weld around the bushing while its in the machine, quench it with H2o then hit it with a drift (punch) from the other side. They usually fall out easily. Install the new one carefully with a big seal driver. Its a bit of a grunt job but not difficult.

  2. #2OzDozer2012-11-17 20:42

    If you can source some dry ice or liquid nitrogen, then freezing the bushings will enable you to tap them them out (you gotta work fast!). A few squirts of this stuff would probably work fine, too ... http://www.techspray.com/product-info.php?pId=37&bId=16

  3. #3lumberjack2012-11-17 20:54

    Yeah run a weld around the bushing, the water isn't required but it makes it faster. Freezing the new bushings will shrink them and make them go in easier.

  4. #4jack3452012-11-17 23:39

    Great info from all, Thanks, Jack

  5. #5RayF2012-11-18 08:33

    Nice to see no one has mentioned hacking them out with a torch or arc air torch. I reckon half the money I've made over 25 years of line boring has been from repairing good bores that have been snaggered removing bearings. The easy way is to get a torch and heat a spot on the end of the bearing. When the surface starts to melt move the torch through the bore just fast enough to get that melt line. If its a bearing with lots of crush on it like an Hitachi you may need another melt line on the other side.Let it cool a bit and it will tap out.If you got the bore vertical go for a coffee and it will be on the ground when you come back.

  6. #6jack3452013-01-03 23:14

    Job completed, I did weld around the inside of bushing for removing and used dry ice to install. They came out a lot easier than putting new ones back in. When all is said & done no too bad of job . Thanks for your help.

  7. #7Permafrost-ed2013-01-04 15:20

    Well done! Yeah its a bit of a grunty, messy job but not to bad so long as the pins have seen regular greasing and aren't to pounded. The day my co-worker has to change his pins and bushings in his 200 Ill be far far away.... his machine gets about one "annual greasing". LOL.