Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bushings/Shims to convert a bucket with Cat CB-linkage to C-linkage

LCA078 ยท 2022-04-19 13:35

I'm getting frustrated trying to find C-linkage attachments for my Cat 325BL but I do find a lot more C- linkage attachments. The CB linkage uses 90mm pins (vs. 80mm for the C) and has internal ear spacing of 388mm (vs. 351mm for C). The good news is CB linkage has the same 485mm pin center-to-center spacing of C linkage so I'm hoping to bush/shim 80mm pins into a CB attachment so I can use my Hendrix quick coupler without issue. I just don't know if there are CB-to-C linkage bushing/shim inserts available or if I have to fab my own. Does anyone know of a source of such inserts? Side note: My dad (a retired machinist) offered to turn down 90mm pins into 80mm pins where the coupler would grab but I figured that would weaken a pin as we'd be removing a decent amount of the hardened surface.

Replies5
  1. #1heymccall2022-04-19 15:11

    CB linkage is 351mm between the hinges, same as the C linkage. Heck, I had the pins centers turned down on most of my larger hammers so that the fit my B, S, CB, C, D, and DB. Ain't broke one yet. And I had top hat style bushings made for all my plate compactors to yield the same results. And, certainly I did top hat bushings on some buckets. If the width is correct, I put the bushing in from the outside. If it's too wide, I put them in from the inside. The "brim" on the top hat style allows a perimeter weld, as sleeve only bushings tend to walk out. From here https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...MQFnoECCEQAQ&usg=AOvVaw3ory1sHMmrAsg5pGaB6mNV for the linkage specs (except for the "C" of course.)

  2. #2heymccall2022-04-19 15:13

    Let me rephrase that...we've had pins made where the center is turned down to 80mm. Never tried to machine a Caterpillar stock pin.

  3. #3LCA0782022-04-19 20:41

    Hmmm. Here's what I'm tracking from the spreadsheet posted somewhere here on HEF. The 'spread' is 388mm for CB compared to 351mm for C. If the spread for CB and C are the same, then yeah, turning down a 90mm pin to 80mm in the middle is pretty straightforward. Even if I made my own pins, I think 3 1/2" 4130/4140 pre-heat treat or similar round stock pretty close to 90mm pins. Granted it won't be near as strong as a factory cat pin but I'm just using my excadigger (that's what my 4 yr old son calls it) to rip up cedar brush. Nothing critical or too stressful. Sometimes I overthink stuff which is why I post here for common sense feedback. Even if I needed to turn down a cat pin, I'm pretty certain I can easily take off the 190 thousandths off each side in a few passes with a good insert toolbit.

  4. #4heymccall2022-04-19 22:58

    The Hendrix coupler is a pin grabber, but not a multi fit. So, yes, CB buckets can be used, once the pin diameter is reduced. IIRC, I still have a new cylinder from a JBHendrix coupler from either an "S" or "D" linkage.

  5. #5LCA0782022-04-20 07:21

    Yup- i'm fairly limited with the Hendrix but I'll make it work. Thanks for the advice.