Just another day at the office. Here's the problem cylinder, but it could happen to either side. Appears that a rock or something hard got lodged between loader frame and track, when operator lowered arms, it crushed the steel pipe that goes to rod end of cylinder. The only way I could see to gain access to internal pipe connection is removal of fuel tank. This is the pipe connections you have to get to, neatly tucked behind side of fuel tank. I don't know if this is a common failure on these machines, but it seems one should pay attention to what gets piled up between machine frame and track.
Willie - I thought you were too old to be carring out muddy, on-site work of that nature ...........
Only too old when you pry my wrenches from my cold, dead fingers alrman. LoL
Thanks Willie for that info. I have a 953C and we will be watching for that issue alot closer.
I'm not a Cat wrench for sure JBGASH, but I certainly help this helps someone.
This is to funny i just replaced the same line on a 943 today. it has a steel tank and if you try really hard you can do it with the tank on. but the metal lines for the 943 have been discontinued . our just had a wear hole so we welded it up and are hoping for the best. we have a 953b also and with that poly tank you have to pull it cause it swells out and you can't get to it. i feel for you that is a horrible line to get to!!!!
Actually, not as bad to do the repair as what I was expecting lgammon, just a bunch of disassembly just to get to a pipe connection :Banghead, and one better have a couple of 55 gal drums and a pump if that fuel tank is full. And although I emptied the tank, and it is poly, it's still a load to work with for a scrawny 135 lb runt like me, but I managed to grunt and growl and kick the bi-itch back in there. :guns I did dig around in the pile of dirt (clay) that was under the area of the cylinder, and by golly I found the hard crystalline type rock that took a bite outa that hard line, even still had a small flake of Cat yellow paint still on it. The type of clay they're running this machine in is wet but not runny, like pottery clay. That stuff could grab a hold of a rock and hang on to it, yet still hide the rock so that an operator wouldn't even know it's there, until the oil shower takes place. :yup