My friend bought a Case MC1150E. It has 80 hours. 1988 or 1989 model. EROPS. I am looking for a non computer/EPA/sensor free/good condition dozer with VPAT blade, NOT overwidth(insurance), in like new condition. I am thinking about buying one at auction. About my friend dozer: Many hoses blew when they first started using it. I would assume the military inspected hoses and would replace if they saw dry rot or due to age? Machine is brand new and tight. End bits on blade or stubby so it is not over width. Can regular 1150e end bits be installed and just angle the blade when on a lowboy to surpass the over width law? The dozer has a VPAT blade with winch on rear. The machine was purchased for $38k. I am generally a CAT dozer fan. I generally like the 1975-2000 model Cat stuff. I own D6D's currently, d5b, 450 Deere, with a whole slew of other machines such as excavators, CTL, backhoes, on and on...... I recently ran my friends Case 1150e dozer for a week or two. It took me some time to adjust to the ACCELERATOR pedal. Opposite of a CAT DECELERATION pedal. In my mind it's more work to keep my foot ON the gas than to use the pedal to let off the gas. That right foot could be doing other things while in the resting phase of pushing dirt. It also took time for me to adjust to not being able reach over and pedal steer with the right foot as the center stall and arrangement of floorboard and stuff prevents the right foot from reaching knee pad the center main brake pedal. I once had a pedal steer d3b Cat dozer and I could steer left or tight using either leg like a stereo radio. It wasn't too bad. The CASE forces my left foot to bounce back and forth to pedal steer right or left. On a slope doing slope shaping up when k hit reverse it's almost panic mode to hit the brake with the right foot and not use the left to touch pedal cause then you'll mash one side and spin sideways or hit clutches and machine will run away. It's a gymnastic game. Ok, I skipped something. I run this machine like CAT steering clutch dozer. I steer the two pedals with my left feet. I saw somewhere online where an Australian said that the Case 1150e is OK to pedal steer as the 850 and below will blow some kind of seals if pedals are used. Is this true? Why do! Is this a design flaw? But not a flaw in the 1150e? In my mind it seems CASE made this dozer so a CAT steering clutch guy could sneak by and run it with pedal steer? Any input on this would great? If using the levers to steer? I don't see how that can be smooth? Seems to be some herky jerky overpowered gear based setup that hammers the machine? But apparently it's not on a CASE? CASE dozers have always seemed weird to me. Too many hoses under the floorboards and all over. Too many gears, valve bodies and pumps. And I wrong? Sprockets. Ok. So CASE didn't want to lay for the patent or maybe the patent doesn't exist and they cheapened out d why aren't the sprockets segmented like CAT? Do you have to disassemble the tracks and some roller frame components to swap sprockets? Rent a puller? Ok. So. No electronics. I liked that. A new but old dozer. The blade handle could use a knob instead of black king handle. My arm is sore from cutting tight grade with the long joystick but it's older design. Does the cummins engine have liners? It ran really well. Really strong? Is the 5.9 up to snuff of what a comparable Cat engine of the era would be? What is comparable? A 3306? In trucks, a 3306 is a bit bigger and more robust than a dodge pickup 5.9. Cost of rebuild? There are lots of 3204 and 3306 aftermarket parts and lots worldwide. The same price and availability for the machine 5.9? The CASE looks to be a little bit harder to work on? The cab would be big to take off. Panels. Hoses everywhere. What's the opinion on this? Do mechanics get pissed when you call them to fix a Case dozer? The steering system. Ok, so when it goes...am I looking at spending more money than a steering clutch CAT dozer? All those pumps and gears for the Case unit?? I am thinking of buying something the size of a d5k but no smaller as I have a CTL for the small stuff. I'm CAT I really love the d4h but I have never done a cost analysis of ownership. A d5m puts me in to weird stuff like no liner engine, finger tip steering with sensors right? A used worn out d4h or d5m is higher than a brand new but old design military mc1150e case dozer! I am pissed at Deere. Really pissed. A 650H really got to me. As well as some other Deere machines I have. I don't have a lot of experience with Komatsu dozers. I know they make a good excavator but I don't want some crazy Komatsu with parts being shipped from Pakistan 7 months too late. I know everyone loves the new rear radiator machines. But that's too new and computerized for me. I've seen some pretty d39 machines. Can I get an operator to work for me and it complain that "it's a CASE". Undercarriage cost? My nearest possible place to get parts in regards to case would be based around the fact that I'm central to: ATLANTA, CHATTANOOGA, KNOXVILLE, ASHEVILLE, and GREENVILLE. Oh. The paint. The military green has turned to chalk. I'd eventually have to paint the dozer to make it look decent so someone would pay me for the work it does. That is an expense. Anyways, what is the thoughts on the CASE dozers if in new condition versus CAT and KOMATSU machine that would not be new. $30-$40k for a brand new machine would get a lot of work done vs more money for a worn out brand name. I work in the mountains. So far I have been able to escape GPS machine control. I've only dabbled with receivers on a blade mast. Any thoughts of a CaSe mc1150e would be appreciated. Sorry to have rambled and it organized my post better. I'm typing on a broken iPhone screen.
Well Bill, just like your either an Iphone guy or an Android guy ..... you are either a CAT guy or CASE guy. The two machines are very different. A few of my customers here would love to get their hands on those low hour US military machines. The 1150E is probably the best dozer CASE made. Over here, depending when you purchased, they came with both the 5.9T or 8.3NA Cummins engines - both had remarkable fuel economy in relation to previous 1150 models using the CASE 504 engines. Yes, they are designed to be steered using the levers - you should be able to feather the brake pedals to give a slight power turn before they neutralize the track. The seals on the brake pistons are not very durable, so if used alot - they will eventually begin to lose holding pressure & hence braking efficiency - so if you continue to use the brake pedals to turn - you WILL be going inside the transmission well before you need to. Some machines I work on have gone between the 10-15000 hrs before needing transmission repairs - others even more! The engines with regular servicing & tappet adjustments go well past 20000 hrs. And yes, they are mono block - with no liners - as many modern engines are these days. Here, likely there too, most diesel fitters, are either CAT or Komatsu trained, so finding someone to do the big repair jobs & has CASE product knowledge for fault diagnosis, can be difficult. A few of the machines I work on have been modified to have decelerater pedals. I've never done the mod myself, but it shouldn't be too difficult to work out using a little nouse & if you are handy with a welder. One of my customers ran 3 of these models (father & 2 sons) - they usually worked on golf course construction - all fluent CASE operators - they would literally run rings around D5's & 6's - doing final trim work. I don't think any CAT powershift machines can give you the counter rotating option that the 1150 does. While not someting you would use regularly - when in tight situations, it is very handy. Like I said, if your a CAT guy, maybe best to stay one
It amazes me how much trouble people go though to get out of having electronics on a truck or machine. Dad started with case. If that machine is anything near as problematic as his where I will tell you the electronics would be the least of your worries. The other trouble with case (for us in pennsylvania) is groff tractor the local dealer is transitioning to being a john deere construction dealer so the support is just about dead on the local level. If your soul set on totally old school I'm sure a suitable Caterpillar can be found. May need some love yo be what your dreams are made of but nothing a bit of repair can't fix.
C-ant A- fford S-omething E-lse
Detroit 2 stroke--couldn't afford a Cummins or Cat when looking to buy.
When building my shop I borrowed, (demonstration) a then new Case 550E small dozer. Ran good and was very tight but I could not get used to it at all. Took it back and borrowed a D5B from a friend who after about and hour of watching me run his dozer, decided to do the task for me. Lot's better that way as he clearly knew what he was doing and very much "in touch" with that machine.
it is a 34 or 35 year old machine. As far as return on investment, when you sell it it will go at scrap price and no longer run. That's the way it is. You need to get all your value out of it as work. "Undercarriage cost?" Make some calls and see if you can get rails and sprockets and rollers. Nobody here is likely to have purchased any of that in the last few months, and that is about how long a price is good for. " it cost me 8 grand 3 years ago" means nothing these days. Price and availability are a fast moving target. I ran a B model 43 years ago. I steered with the levers.
I want to say his is either a 79, or 80 model and the prior owner was Caterpillar Tractor Co. It was one used at their proving grounds in Edwards, IL and he purchased it when they were done with it. Nice machine in those days.
Your bio info says you're 78. I'm not sure why or what you're here asking. If you own a bunch of other equipment, and can't make a judgement at this point of what you want and don't want, I'm not sure anyone's opinion here is going to help.
I hope I wasn’t seen as bashing case. Just a little lighthearted humor. At this point w the way things are going I can barely afford a tonka dozer. And btw god bless those old two stroke Detroit fuel converters. We wouldn’t be the country we are today w out them. And my hearing wouldn’t be the same w out them either.
Well. I guess you told me! According to your username, You should be running a crane instead of looking on this forum for opinions about heavy equipment.
I don't think C.O. is telling anyone anything--I think he puts it as a Ford/Chevy kind of idea. Most who have had Fords in their lives only buy Fords-don't change brands mid stream. Same with equipment.
A local construction outfit bought a military D8, similar to OP as far as age and hours. They poured a bunch of money into the machine replacing belts, hoses, and seals. They finally decided there was no way to make this a productive machine without complete replacement of every rubber part on the machine due to dry rot. They ended up parting out the machine and made good money on it as long as you didn't figure in the hours they spent fighting leaks and downtime.
Most military items that show low hours, die of neglect. I've seen a JD 4WD loader (JD644?) up for auction on the military auction site, and it indicated only a few hundred hours (hour meter and general appearance) - but all 4 tyres were dead flat, and they had been that way for a couple of years, at an estimate. Naturally, the tyres (which had nearly full depth tread) were destroyed. I cannot believe that the military would destroy so much good equipment simply by failing to maintain it when in storage, or under low use conditions. Yet, when in full time use, they're generally very good on maintenance and repair.
If that's the worst of it i still want one of them old 7s they been selling off lately
Crane operator is one of the most respected members on this forum. His comment is what everyone else was thinking but didn't bother to post. Not a good idea to disrespect a valuable member of this forum. Any machine that you've never run before and is different from what you're used to is going to seem strange. After reading your long winded negative review it's clear you're not a fan of the Case so why even bother considering it? Cummins 5.9's are legendary for long life. In fact they are one of the most common engines used when doing engine swaps because they are so legendary. There are people that prefer Case and saved boatloads of money over buying a Cat, JD or Komatsu.
The old Case 1150's were bulletproof if taken care of. I wouldn't be afraid of it at all.
Did I? Or did he? Or did he first and then I did him second? So it bothered you that my post was too long? Well, I apologize for writing too much. What kind of posts and questions do you prefer on this website? How can a poster ask what you prefer and post it in a way you'd approve? Was my post rude or offensive? Exactly as you stated in your last sentence, I am looking to save over buying a Cat, JD, or Komatsu if the opinions of other suggest so based on a valid and no conflict discussion. I'm here to see the opinions of others and learn the economics of the machine as well as parts availability. Thanks
To us that would make repairs or do maintenance/upkeep on these it is a great opportunity to get something nice with good savings. However, a guy that can't, or won't do the needed work that comes up can soon see negative numbers or time setbacks to their operation. Neither would I be. But that being said, I can maintain and repair it myself which is a lot less expensive overall than hiring everything done. The few of those I was around were very good dozers.
Yes, you totally disrespected crane operator. You told him to mind his own business. Crane operator was basically saying if you're 78 years old and have owned and run a bunch of equipment you would have the best opinion of what you like and/or prefer. Nobody else could tell you what YOU prefer or should prefer. It's not that your post was long but it was so negative of the Case it doesn't make any sense why you would even consider it.
Jeez, guys. It's Thanksgiving, settle down. I own a low hour 1150G LGP. Cut my teeth on a 1150C standard that had been repowered with a B-series, so essentially a 1150E. Didn't have the split radiator, so we never could get it to cool that great. The G will push circles around the C/E. Operating the G doesn't bother me, as long I'm always going in a straight line, or doing very light finish work. Moving larger quantities of dirt or snow is a challenge to say the least unless you can always push perfectly straight, or not worry about what direction you end up. Accelerator pedal gets cumbersome after a while, especially if your pushing more than 20-75 feet. Visibility is really quite good, no complaints there. If you will be the only operator, and you're not worried about fixing a few things here or there, it might be a viable option. If you're looking to get some heavier work done, I would stick with a Cat or Komatsu, you will be much happier. It really all boils down to what you will be happier with.
It's kind of like people who have always used one style of excavator controls and can't get used to anything different. If that's the case and the Case dozer is going to be increasingly frustrating to operate, it's probably best to look at machines you're more familiar operating.
I actually did get accustomed to the Case mc1150e after a few hours. The throttle pedal made me a little tired. The double lever forward and backwards made me wonder why there isn't just one forward and one reverse and if I could make a bridge plate adapter and make the linkage be one lever! I used my feet to steer and I'm not quite sure if that will tear it up or not. If it will, then I'd have to learn the jerky jerky diff steer style geared steering. I got accustomed to the blade control quickly. I could shape up pretty well. I was thinking if a person got on in the $30-40k range and the machine is new as far as no wear...surely it would pay for itself in a year or two if used 3 days a week for a couple of years? So it comes down to: -Will operators work for someone with an old Case machine that they have to run? -Will mechanics work on it willingly? (Of course I do most mechanic work unless it's internal transmission etc). -Can I go a Case dealer and buy every part reasonably and does the aftermarket vendor support it (example: Heavyquip etc..) It seems like a smaller than a d6 size 6 way blade dozer that isn't over width. The end bits are short on the military version. I suppose the civilian end bits stick out a few inches and I'm not sure the blade can be angled and still not over width. I'm definitely out in the new triple raised insurance price for overweight and overwidth permit. Unreal! The cab is ok for heat but most do no have a/c system installed. At that point it's almost better to have no glass around cab at all for heat as it kills visibility. A red dot would be sticking out the rear top of cab or on top...(hit by trees).
I think I read where using the foot pedals primarily for steering causes premature wear. There's likely operators who have run Case dozers in the past but if an operator wants a job they'll likely adjust to the Case.