Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Buying a dozer

Jakebreak ยท 2017-07-15 08:09

I was wondering what everybody's opinion is on a d5h dozer we're looking at buying a dozer and we're thinking a 4-5 size machine to do firebreaks some road work in the mountains and helping out to backfill ditches on jobs when it's needed I'm thinking a 6 way blade and rippers don't want anything to new with electronics

Replies52
  1. #1JS3002017-07-15 08:50

    I was told to stay away from the H series machines because engine parts were getting hard to find. This may or may not be true but would be worth looking into before purchasing. Also the older dozers seem to have tougher built bodies and don't get banged up as easy. Good luck

  2. #2Bluox2017-07-15 09:29

    D5H has a 3304 engine you can get new parts anywhere. Bob

  3. #3Shimmy12017-07-15 10:44

    Problem is most of these vintage tractors are getting so many hours on them. You might get lucky and find one with less than 10,000 hrs and been used relatively easy.

  4. #4DMiller2017-07-15 19:05

    I really get aggravated hearing 1980's/90's machines called vintage, makes me feel ancient!!

  5. #5Jakebreak2017-07-15 20:04

    thanks for your replies we figured a d6 would be nice but it might be a little to big for what we are wanting to do with it moving it is easy for us I have never ran a d5h only a 4 and a 6 and I loved them both shimmy your right about trying to find one for a low price with low hours on it but high hours don't scare me to bad as long as the machine has been taken care of hopefully I can find one with a good undercarriage on it we would probably only put a few hundred hours a year on it if that depending if we put it on a job and use it and I definitely don't want a cab

  6. #6Shimmy12017-07-15 20:52

    After I typed it, I thought about rewording it to say "tractors of that vintage", LOL. I certainly wasn't trying to call a D5H a vintage tractor, to me it has to be a "D" for most dozers to be considered vintage. Sorry for makin you feel old, DMiller.

  7. #7Shimmy12017-07-15 21:05

    Yeah, machines "of that vintage" (for you, DMiller)were not known for their comfort level. If the A/C works at all, they are still noisy and hot with the doors closed, you might as well be in the open air. It does get old eating dirt, though. Spent quite a few hours on a open station 7H. You were ready to be done at the end of the day. Just for the record, since I know some of you older guys get pissy when you hear us young punks complaining about A/C, I started operating in 1990, and did not get to run a machine with air until 2004. It took until 2010 for me to get a truck with air.

  8. #8crane operator2017-07-15 23:38

    You're in north dakota, are you sure you even need air? I hear you only get three days of summer, a spring morning, a fall afternoon and its winter the rest of the time....

  9. #9catman132017-07-16 01:11

    go with the d5h , i have a d5h xl series 2 and love it , good all a round machine

  10. #10Jakebreak2017-07-16 07:50

    What is the difference on a series 2 compared to a regular h I understand xl means extra long undercarriage

  11. #11old-iron-habit2017-07-16 09:18

    You say D series is vintage. My most modern machine is a very early D4D. I thought it was state of the art compared to the rest of the iron.

  12. #12DMiller2017-07-16 11:14

    You must have a yard as bad as mine!!

  13. #13Shimmy12017-07-16 14:42

    Ok, I'll try again. "Built before 1960." Does that work for everyone??

  14. #14Junkyard2017-07-16 15:59

    Just bigger with more stuff to tinker with. No Allis though.....

  15. #15DMiller2017-07-16 19:15

    Damn, Best projects are Allis, harder to fix with parts scarce!! As to shimmy1, young whipper snapper!!

  16. #16Junkyard2017-07-16 19:20

    Any old iron is a good project.

  17. #17DMiller2017-07-16 19:44

    Aint it the truth! You bought that Terex Euc yet??

  18. #18Jakebreak2017-07-16 21:57

    Man thats good stuff cabs don't bother me I just used to running open cabs for awhile I love it even when's it's hot or cold if any of you guys come across a d5 let me know been looking around on the internet today came across one in Washington but the grouser look really worn down and the tracks are dang near touching the tensioner ram on it I appreciate the advice and the conversation

  19. #19DMiller2017-07-17 07:12

    Around here a rails overhaul with DECENT aftermarket, replacing all the worn components and rebuilt idlers you are looking around $14,000 undercarriage for one of these. Does NOT include labor. Just throwing that in for a mindset of expenses to follow purchase.

  20. #20Jakebreak2017-07-17 07:58

    That's not to bad we have a shop and a mechanic we could do the undercarriage ourselves if we had to

  21. #21JS3002017-07-17 14:24

    There is a guy here in Tx that gets these dozers goes through them and then sells them. He can will do whatever the customer wants to one. Shipping would probably be high to CA though. I can get his # if needed

  22. #22Junkyard2017-07-17 14:37

    I've kind of pondered doing that myself. A few a year maybe. Keep track of what you do so you can show the customer.

  23. #23DMiller2017-07-17 15:26

    Would be a good machine if completely gone over but would be expensive. At least a few dozens of hours just inspecting ten the few weeks to go thru it, a real challenge.

  24. #24JS3002017-07-17 15:27

    Their shop is close to me and they stay pretty busy. Some how they have contacts around the country to get older dozers. I say older they pretty much only deal with Cat C series, Case G series, and Deere G series and older, I believe 100 hp and below. They don't do any hrdro tractors. Sometimes they have D4 or 5 H's. They fix all the leaks replace whats needed paint them and sell them with a warranty. Seems like a pretty good business. A friend of mine bought one this year. He picked one that hadn't been started on yet told them what he wanted done and agreed on a price. It was really nice when they finshed it.

  25. #25Junkyard2017-07-17 15:53

    That's almost exactly what I've been kicking around. There's a strong demand for that size around me. The source for fair a priced start could be a challenge. I considered Cat and a series or two that way if I got hosed on a Machine I'd have it for parts as I went along.

  26. #26JS3002017-07-17 18:31

    Junkyard, There is a certain price point for theses dozers from what I have seen. PM me if you want more info. That size dozer is easy to operate, hual, work on, etc. they also pay for themselves really quick and hold their value. The avg guy with a couple hundred acres can afford one and make them pay pretty easy. Theres a really nice looking D5H for sale in Atoka, Ok. I don't think that's too far from Junkyard.

  27. #27Jakebreak2017-07-17 19:57

    if you get a chance pm me the guys contact info on those dozers I wouldn't mind talking to him and see what he has then I can look at trucking if not I guess I will have to jump in the lowboy myself and have a road trip come on I seen that 5 in Oklahoma if I remember right it wasn't a bad looking machine I wonder if I send junkyard some beer and whiskey he might want to look at it for me

  28. #28Jakebreak2017-07-17 20:10

    I found a d5h in city of industry on machinery trader but I don't know how to post links for that on here I might go look at it

  29. #29DMiller2017-07-18 06:56

    Lot of the machines in CA are being destroyed to get more Tier 4 systems on service. CA state has a buyback program where the turned over machines are damaged AFTER the sale to prohibit re-use, that will make viable machines there top dollar as well cannot ship older purchased machines in according to my brother from Temecula.

  30. #30Jakebreak2017-07-18 08:17

    That sounds about right for commie California I saw on the news this morning that they just extended the cap and trade program for another ten years go figure I guess if I find something I will have to figure it out if it becomes a problem

  31. #31Jakebreak2017-07-18 19:44

    How hard would it be to switch a winch out on a dozer in place of rippers I looked at a d6 not sure if it was a d model or a little older it has a winch its been taken care of really well original owner

  32. #32DMiller2017-07-18 21:57

    Gonna have to contact the parts rep on that one, s/n with that. Could be easy, may be extensive with controls upgrade and mounts change.

  33. #33izuchukwu2017-07-27 13:21

    D5H is good. But depending on the kind of work you want to use it for

  34. #34Jakebreak2017-08-02 22:40

    I got the report from cat on that D5h I found haven't had a chance to look at it going on. Monday to look at it and run it it says the engine is good tranny good right side lift arm needs to be resealed right side track recoil spring needs a seal in it rails are 50% the pins are 20% and have never been turned. What would you guess how long I can get on those pins I'm thinking if it's not to much money and if I like the machine about having them turn the pins on the rails and get that recoil spring on the track tensioner resealed also would I get some life out of them I'm only looking at a few hundred hours a year on the machine

  35. #35Jakebreak2017-08-02 22:40

    I got the report from cat on that D5h I found haven't had a chance to look at it going on. Monday to look at it and run it it says the engine is good tranny good right side lift arm needs to be resealed right side track recoil spring needs a seal in it rails are 50% the pins are 20% and have never been turned. What would you guess how long I can get on those pins I'm thinking if it's not to much money and if I like the machine about having them turn the pins on the rails and get that recoil spring on the track tensioner resealed also would I get some life out of them I'm only looking at a few hundred hours a year on the machine

  36. #36Jakebreak2017-08-17 20:04

    we bought the d5h its getting the lift arm resealed and the track tensioner resealed it was in really good shape no blow by on the motor, tranny shifted good it held it in 2nd gear, it didn't get hot after pushing with it for about an hour hopefully it shows up with a week or two I got a bunch of work for it. According to cat on the undercarriage it still has quite a bit of life left in it before the pins need to be turned. how many people are running a transfer tank in the back of their pickups with a tool box I got a chest box now I'm looking at a tank and a cross bed box the problem I'm finding is I need something less than 30" wide cause of my goose neck hitch in the bed and I have a short bed truck the only thing I have found that would work is 40-50 gallon tank any thoughts or recommendations. thank you guys for all your help and answer on this for me I appreciate it

  37. #37DMiller2017-08-17 20:28

    Probably have to step up in trucks to get more tank room or eliminate the cross bed storage box.

  38. #38Jakebreak2017-08-17 21:05

    I like my short bed and the truck is paid for its a 02 7.3 4x4 with only 175k on it you cant beat that good ol ford diesel the best one they made and If I find one I'm going to get rid of my chest box and go to a cross box

  39. #39JS3002017-08-18 10:00

    Look at transferflow they make some nice combos that might fit but they are a little pricey. I'm having the same promblem with my SB pick up. I have a flatbed with a fuel tank on it but it gets old having to go back to get it if something needs fuel. Don't think I will buy another SB. Not enough room for tools and fuel if you want to hook up a gooseneck.

  40. #40DMiller2017-08-18 10:22

    Is why I own a '99 LB Ext cab SD Ford 7.3, what I cannot get in the bed goes in the back seat!! Have pulled gooseneck and fifth wheels since bought.

  41. #41Jakebreak2017-08-19 07:51

    they are pricey I have looked at a few online and at $2200 and up I don't think I can get one made cheaper than that my buddy at work said he has a transfer flow combo I could look at but he thinks it doesn't take and external pump he thinks its one of the ones that you hook up directly to your fuel tank so you just flip a switch on the go and it fills your truck up

  42. #42Jakebreak2017-08-19 07:55

    yes sir you cant beat the good ole 7.3 I guess I will have to talk the bosses into getting me a work truck that's setup for site work with a diesel tank lol

  43. #43DMiller2017-08-19 09:16

    If dragging a serious load on the Goose I would look into a class 7 single axle flatbed. Something along the lines of a business class FrtLnr or IHC even the smaller series Petes and KWs. I have worked my Ford to death having rebuilt the rear diff twice and it needs attention again at 340000 miles, smoked the 4R100 at 290000 misc other issues as was just using too little truck to do too much work.

  44. #44Jakebreak2017-08-19 20:09

    10-4 on that I'm not worried about moving this dozer around I have access to our heavy haul Kenworth with a Cozad and I have a class a commercial license I think what I'm going to do is just set a tank in the truck when I'm using the dozer for fuel and then just take it out when I'm not needing the diesel for the machine I appreciate your input and advice

  45. #45CM19952017-08-20 19:41

    That was a good year model. I have an '01 with almost 200K on the clock that daily goes to the job. My '13 6.7 has been great as well with 85K on the meter. Survived 5 - 6.0's in the fleet, still gives me nightmares.

  46. #46Jakebreak2017-08-20 19:48

    ouch on those 6.0 my brother has my 99 7.3 2wd truck in texas with only 170k on it and he has had offer of 15-20k to sell it cause everyone wants one you cant beat those trucks hows the 6.7 treating you cm

  47. #47CM19952017-08-21 08:53

    My 6.7 has been great Jakebreak. It is by far the strongest stock truck I have ever owned. Looking forward to the next generation with more HP and torque. Problem is I've read where you won't be able to order a MY 2018 until Nov. of this year.

  48. #48JS3002017-08-21 10:30

    Jakebreak another option for a tank is a sqaure 55 gallon. I have one we use from time to time. It will fit in the back corner of the truck bed and you can still hook up a trailer. Doesn't look the best but is fuctional and can easily be moved around. We have used it in the back of the mule to fuel up when it was wet and have also set it on the front corner of the gooseneck. Think it came from TSC.

  49. #49crane operator2017-08-21 13:20

    This tank says 43" x 31", fuel tank and tool box combo. I have a L shape tank, you may be able to just put your chest on top of a L shape tank, and not buy the tool box. This one is 75 gal, they have a 90 gallon deezee that's not much bigger, but its twice the price. https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...transfer-tank-black-steel-75-gal?cm_vc=IOPDP1

  50. #50Jakebreak2017-08-22 21:50

    not a bad looking tank but I only have 26" from front of bed to my goose neck its one of those hideaway goose necks I'm thinking I will just set the tank in the truck when I run the dozer and when I don't need it just take it out I have access to a forklift so it wont be a problem. CM that's good to here about that 6.7 I would be leery about the ford diesels especially after their run of 6.0 I'm just not to keen on wanting a new diesel with all the def stuff on it my brother in law has a new dodge with a cummins in it and he loves it its been a good truck for him

  51. #51Jakebreak2017-08-22 21:53

    thanks for the advice I found a 90 gallon one at the shop I will just wind up throwing it in the truck when I need it if I ever get a new truck down the road I will have to keep in mind in getting a long bed and get away from the short beds

  52. #52Jakebreak2017-09-10 19:09

    I finally got the dozer up to our property and put 5 hrs on it today fixing some roads up I couldn't be happier with it. It ran really well plenty of power and just the right size for what we need I got a bunch more work for it coming up this winter we just need some rain so I can get some moisture in the dirt