Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

buying a used backhoe

seph10 ยท 2005-07-19 15:49

I'm looking to buy a used backhoe,,first choice is a case,,,then john deere,,but I found a pretty good deal on a 89-90 ford 665c,,what do you guys think of ford backhoes?? also,,,found a case 580 k,,with 6100 hours on it,,a dealer took it on trade,and I think I can talk to the excavating co. that traded it,,what do you think???

Replies6
  1. #1cat3202005-07-19 20:54

    I really don't know to much about the ford never really cared for the way they where build as far as machine layout and such.The case I know about and they are a good machine .But with any one of them if they have been abused and the fuilids and filter not changed regularly they problems will occore in any machine.

  2. #2Phil2005-08-03 21:44

    I might check out the Case if I were you, lots of parts out there since there are so many of them. I don't think the K had any major weakness, although the E was highly regarded. Talking to the previous owner, or mechanic that worked on it, might tell you alot too.

  3. #3Steve Frazier2005-08-03 23:02

    Ford/New Holland is all my buddy has owned since he went in business. He's been happy with the service he's seen from them. Personally I think the controls are a bit behind the times, even for the year machine you mention. From that period I liked Deere the best, the controls are short throw and very precise compared to others.

  4. #4xkvator2005-08-04 15:00

    what year was the 580K?...i think it was 92 they made a change in the transaxle and had some bearing problems or ??? At 6100 hrs, it's probably taken care of if it's a 92 model i've had a few case machines...no problems... a friend who has a large excavating business likes JCB...he says the drivetrains hold up better.

  5. #5Elvis612010-11-09 16:33

    After changing hydraulic pump. The unit will not move. What could I have gone? This is a 580K

  6. #6davidd2010-11-10 15:03

    Hay Elvis, Welcome to the board but you should start your own thread. Then give as much info about your machine as possible and you should get some good info. Make, model , year, previous symptoms etc. David d.