Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Buying a used excavator

90plow ยท 2015-07-04 11:17

We have always used out small machines more frequently than our pc 120 but lately I've been trying to up productivity as well as expand into excavating for other contractors and homeowners. Our pc 120 is on decent shape but lately I've been getting tired of the constant worrying about over working our 30 year old 6,300 hour machine. To the point of this post. I want to buy a newer machine and spend under 40k. I've found a few but most are hammered. I'd like to post some machine I find on here and get some opinions. First up a 2000 Jd 120 seller admitted it needs new chains which concerns me as the hour meter only reads 1,800 hrs. What's the cost of replacing the chains and sprockets on a machine this size? Here's the link. http://m.ebay.com/itm/171828974032?nav=SEARCH

Replies16
  1. #1Shimmy12015-07-04 11:57

    First things first. See if the guy will take some pictures of the idlers and track frame. If the guide blocks are at the end of the frame or sticking out, then the chains are done. He doesn't appear to be a dealer, maybe the tracks are just loose? (Long shot, I know). I would venture a guess of around $2000 per chain, you doing the swap. Just a WAG though. I would maybe strongly consider going to check it out in person. IF it has had enough use to need new chain, if it has had any less than perfect preventative maintenance it might need a lot more than new track chains.

  2. #2Bosvark Kzn2015-07-04 15:28

    Looking at the photos, I think think the machine did a lot more than 1800 hrs. It's possible the hour meter were replaced at some stage or didn't work for a long time.

  3. #3ddigger2015-07-04 16:08

    At 6.300hrs you barely have yours broke in. I put 25.000hrs on my 95 Cat 330l and its still going strong, even though I now just keep it as a pet.

  4. #490plow2015-07-04 19:03

    I know mines not on the high side hours wise. It is slow though and I have recently been worried about having to replace a drive motor or other expensive part and being in the hole on a machine I no longer really want. Just looking to get a machine newer than mine with a little more life in it.

  5. #5movindirt2015-07-04 20:09

    I'll second that it probably has had another hour meter. It looks like the date on the air cleaner lid is 4/14/13 and 1,37x.x hours on it?

  6. #690plow2015-07-05 20:31

    This has higher hours but looks well taken care of. http://m.machinerytrader.com/Pictur...193&categoryId=1032&industryName=construction

  7. #7Bosvark Kzn2015-07-05 20:59

    This one looks good!

  8. #8Shimmy12015-07-05 22:19

    Has most definitely had a Ritchie Repaint. Not saying that's bad tho.......

  9. #990plow2015-07-07 21:39

    http://m.machinerytrader.com/Pictur...971&categoryId=1032&industryName=construction Sending my father to look at this one on Friday. 6,000 hours has a brand new computer I think he said it's an 2003 and he's asking $39,000. Getting nervous about the size of the 312 after reading some old posts on here comparing them to a pc150 size machine. I don't want my little single axle to be out matched with a machine that's just way to big.

  10. #10movindirt2015-07-07 22:34

    Ritchie Specs puts your 120 at 25k lbs, and a 312B and the CX130 both a 27k lbs, shouldn't be too big of a difference.

  11. #1190plow2015-07-07 22:52

    Yea I guess your right. I wish they were closer to my price range which is another hurdle I face.

  12. #1290plow2015-07-08 21:14

    Any thoughts on the case cx130 as a machine??

  13. #13JGibson2015-07-09 07:07

    I got to try a CX130C and it was one of the smoothest machines I've run. Not sure about the plain CX130's or CX130B but they seem like good machines.

  14. #1490plow2015-07-12 11:45

    Went to look at the cx 130 yesterday and put a deposit down. Can't wait to get it working!

  15. #15dixon7002015-07-12 13:06

    Congrats on the new purchase let us know how it works and post some pics in use.

  16. #16Landclearer2015-07-12 13:47

    Looking forward to seeing it in action. I ran a few Case excavators a few years ago and was impressed with them.