Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Buying advice – smaller TLB

okimn ยท 2020-09-30 10:01

Next year my wife & I are planning on doing a bunch of landscaping / construction / related work on our property, so we're looking at buying a used TLB vs. renting one. I figure this way we can work on projects on our own timetable, do things 'as they come up', and really, who doesn't need another toy? Plus I have a vacation property in Northern WI that could use some earth-moving work, and this would kill two birds with one stone. Something used in the Kubota BX25 size range is *still* not cheap, and I could (at least in my mind) get a much heavier duty older unit for less money. Right now I have a subcompact tractor with a FEL on it, but its capabilities are pretty limited in terms of lifting & digging. It's good for moving materials but that's about it, trying to get it to really dig through clay soil just isn't happening. Plus, we're going to have some excavating work to do for (most likely) a culvert running across our property, running buried water lines out to a yard hydrant, and whatever else we come up with but from what I've heard even if I could find the backhoe attachment for it the utility of it is minimal. Are the smaller backhoes you see on Craigslist or similar practical for someone who's going to use it for a year or two on a suburban property (1.5 acre lot) & then decide whether or not to keep it or get rid of it, or is something like that going to be so oversized for our needs that it'll be a hassle? I'm always up for a new toy, but it has to serve a purpose too. Aside from general wear & tear things (how does the engine run, machine shift/drive, is the loader & backhoe all slopped out, etc.) are there any things in particular I should be looking for? Part of the challenge seems to be in finding a smaller machine, I don't necessarily want a 'construction backhoe' sized piece of equipment, I'm hoping to keep it in the ~8000 lb. range max to make it towable. It seems like from a bit of digging there should be some smaller tractors that fit in this range. Really I'm just looking for advice for someone new to this world - any and all is appreciated! I'm no stranger to wrenching on things, as long as parts are available it's fixable. Is it feasible to work on something like this in a good sized residential garage? If I needed to pull it in for major repairs, generally how removable is the backhoe? Thanks in advance...

Replies11
  1. #1aighead2020-10-01 12:25

    I don't have lots of advice for you other than to say that I have a full sized New Holland lb75b backhoe and some projects are still tough or time consuming. I run it in the yard (6 acres) and helping neighbors. I do a lot of digging stumps and other debatably "light" landscaping work, notably pulling bushes out, moving fallen trees, getting rid of yard scrub (dumb honeysuckle!), moving dirt or rocks and mostly stuff like that. I did help a buddy dig a rather large trench a few months ago and what I assumed would be an easy, relatively quick job turned into 3 long days of digging, on a trench 4-6 feet deep and a few hundred feet long. I've not had experience with a smaller "yard" TLB (like the Kubota you mentioned) other than hearing several people that have used them say that they are often too small to get the real work done. I would imagine that means that you could take many more smaller bites with them but I'm not sure. For reference, until I popped a hydraulic line, I was digging out a stump, at the neighbors, from a tree that is probably a bit less than 2 feet across, and the hole will end up about 6 feet deep and 8 or 10 feet across, so I could get to and break up all the roots. Some of the roots are probably 6-10 inches around and it's taken a couple scrapes across them to break them up enough to get them loose. I would assume that kind of root would flip a smaller machine. I also pulled some yew bushes for the same neighbor, with the loader bucket and a strap/chain wrapped around the base of the bush, as I lifted the roots were strong enough to pull my machine up onto at least 2 (maybe 1!) wheel. While those bushes were pretty easy to get with the hoe side, some of them were also very close to the house and under the eves and gutters and I couldn't get a good hoe angle on them. I know this info isn't really what you are asking but I figured I'd toss out some real world applications. I'm also continually amazed at how much insane work these things can do. Maybe an option could be to buy a small one for general stuff but rent a big one for the bigger jobs? I rented a big one about a year prior to buying mine and in a very rainy week I had a big list of stuff I was able to accomplish while dodging rain drops. Oh, and I made a rut-ty mess of my yard.

  2. #2okimn2020-10-01 12:47

    Thanks for the perspective! That's also what I've heard about the BX-class machines, they just don't have the weight and/or power to get a lot of jobs done. I suppose it's a case of the right tool for the job, and using a compact or subcompact tractor is like trying to frame a house with a tack hammer. Possible, but not wise. I'm not in a position to buy anything until the spring, so I'm just reading & wishful-thinking-shopping right now. I'm hoping I can find something fairly clean and it seems like there are deals to be had, you just have to get on them. There's a Case 580CK locally-ish ( https://sheboygan.craigslist.org/hvo/d/cleveland-case-580-ck-loader-backhoe/7197388870.html ) that - for example - looks like it might not be the best buy with possible engine issues like that. Is parts availability for these older machines a big concern, or are they readily available? I don't want to be in the position of dropping $3500 on the machine & then having to drop another $3k in parts, where $6500 would have bought me a nicer machine from the start. Or, should I be looking at that as a diamond in the rough? I just don't know. Point me at an older Jeep and I can tell you if it's a good idea or not, give you a guess as to what it needs, etc. but I'm totally lost here & trying *not* to learn an expensive lesson.

  3. #3Tinkerer2020-10-01 13:41

    TLB or Jeep, t's all about condition. For part-time homeowner use I would go for an older machine in decent shape. Even tho they require sometimes frequent repairs that shouldn't be a problem. Take your time and a nice one will become available. If you live in Wisconsin I don't know if a machine without a cab is a good choice.

  4. #4aighead2020-10-01 14:11

    I'm absolutely not the guy to ask about maintenance stuffs. I've never had any real experience with this stuff until buying mine a year or two ago, and the maintenance makes me nervous, though I'm trying it when needed. There are a ton of extremely helpful people here and several that run older machines, seemingly, effectively. I will say on mine, as a home user, I've put relatively little additional hours on my backhoe, so would I worry about a decent running older or high houred machine? Maybe not so much. Please take anything I say with a grain of salt. I have my experiences but everyone else really knows what they are talking about. Also, welcome to HEF, this place is great!

  5. #5TnG2020-10-01 14:46

    I just bought my first big piece of equipment, a 580c. That machine is 40 years old. I am in the process of some repairs. Nothing I can't handle,but I've been a marine mechanic for 20+ years. The old machines are simple, most parts are available and very few are expensive. Key things to look for: hydraulic pump, cylinder condition, hoses ( they add up quick), engine, and transmission. If those are good, I'd say get the 580 size machine. I will be using mine on my 5 acres from landscaping to foundation work. An older machine WILL require work and LARGE tools. That will be another added expense if you don't already have those. Really just some more thoughts...

  6. #6JL Sargent2020-10-01 14:46

    Rent, rent, rent. I have rented, I have owned. Monthly rentals can be really cost effective and you can do a mountain of work with a full size backhoe in a month's time. I have rented bulldozers up to the Cat D6 size without a hitch. (spent a lot on fuel though). I do own a full size backhoe and it's a hell of a toy and I use it a lot here on the 60 acres we have, but I have considered selling and then renting only when I really have a need for one.

  7. #7Delmer2020-10-01 15:31

    I think you're on the right track with an 8,000# Kubota for the jobs you describe. You won't be taking out stumps with it, but it will do a good job and not tear everything up as much as a bigger older one. One thing to consider, get an even smaller mini excavator, and use the compact tractor to pull a trailer if you need to move anything. The mini excavator will be easier to dig with in tight spots, tear up the lawn even less, easier to trailer.

  8. #8Swetz2020-10-01 17:00

    okimm, I will start by saying I am not an expert, just a guy that owns a full size backhoe (NH675E) and a compact utility tractor - CUT (NH TC33D). You state that you will be doing "landscaping / construction / related work". You also talk about trenching for utilities, and culvert. My first question would be, because I do not know your soil type, how hard is your soil and are there a lot of large rocks? If the answer to that is that the soil isn't hard or filled with shale, and you do not have large rocks, the smaller TLB will work, albeit much slower than a full size TLB. Most CUTs have a front loader that will lift approximately 1000#. Some are a bit more. Mine is around 800#. I have to confess, it is incredible what the tractor can do. The CUT backhoes are also able to do considerable work. I think (don't quote me) my TC33D will lift 600#. Some will lift more. The backhoe has done everything from digging trenches for utilities to digging stumps out. If you are digging stumps, you find yourself digging a much larger diameter hole than it would take a full size TLB, but it can be done, except for the real big ones. I have dug out stumps that the tractor wouldn't lift, then backfilled and move the stump so it slowly gets to the ground level, then push away. My TC33D has the rear wheels filled. This makes a huge difference when using the loader. I recommend this, but I would use beet juice. When mine were done the dealer only had the calcium, and I see lots of rust forming around the valve stem. You need to wrap your head around the fact that ALL tractors are expensive to buy and own, or do not buy, rent. On the subject of $$, I have found the Kubota and John Deere CUTs are more expensive than some other brands (new and used). All of the CUTs are imported. The best ones are made in Japan, from what I have seen. So, yes, if you buy a Kubota, John Deere, New Holland, Massy Ferguson, etc., They are imported from Japan. I believe my TC33D is made by Shibaura, a Japanese company, which makes an outstanding little tractor. Massy also seems to be priced well and is a good little tractor All the above stated, if you are a hobbyist, and not trying to make a living, and your soil is not extreme, I feel that the CUT will probably work for you, and you can still transport it with a pickup (for your other property). Also remember, the bigger tractors have larger capacity transmissions, hydraulic tanks, and use more fuel...cost of ownership is more when you figure in the maintenance costs. If it were me, I think I would look for a CUT that is a little bigger than mine (say TC45D size), and find a local dealer that has a good rep and talk to him about your projects and see what advice he has. Find another top rated and do the same. I am not saying but new though. Personally I try to stay around the 2000 year (TC33 is 2000, TC21 is 1999, and my NH 675E is 1999). The technology was outstanding, and they are not loaded with computer stuff so you can fix them without special electronic equipment.

  9. #9milon2023-07-11 22:33

    Hello. Me and my wife are planning to purchase a house within the next few months(will be doing pre-qualification/pre-approval at the end of this month). Any advice/tips for a newbie? Thanks in advance

  10. #10Swetz2023-07-12 06:58

    Not sure what you are looking for. You need to figure out the use of a machine, budget, and if you are looking for new or used. If you will maintain, or if that will be done by the dealer. If it will be dealer, I would talk around to fine the best closest dealer...I do not think paint color matters as much as it once did. Many companies are selling machines that are manufactured by other companies and sprayed their color. If you intend to go larger, emissions equipment could be a factor in your decision too. Youtube, Tractor Time with Tim has a bunch of good videos up about buying a machine.

  11. #1163 caveman2023-07-16 09:46

    okimn, you asked for internet advice so here is mine. Those small machines are better than a wheel barrel and shovel but not much better. They can do the job but at a much slower rate and are a great toy or hobby type thing. I own and have access to all kinds of equipment and can plan dirt work and operate it ok but... It is hard to beat a good contractor to do the work for you. A good contractor will get done quick and right the first time and in the long run save you time and money. If you want your own equipment I would recommend you get a mini excavator and a skid loader. The little combination (backhoes) jobs just are not good at ether operations. Also you can resell a mini or compact loader much easier.