Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Buying guidance for a transfer tank? Need diesel on the farm in bulk

Cogniz ยท 2024-10-28 10:00

Tractor Supply and our Co-Op have steel options but I've seen some big aluminum tanks on auction, too. We need a better diesel option on the farm than back and forth to the co-op. So what should I be looking for in buying a transfer tank? I'm looking at storing 250-500 gallons max. Thanks everyone.

Replies2
  1. #1redneckracin2024-10-28 11:13

    Are you looking to haul it down the road? Or let it sit and use it from a semi-permanent location? I am pretty sure the cut off for placards is 119 gallons. I have a 105 gallon transfer tank with an electric tank and it works great. I also have a 275 gallon skid tank that sits at my place. They each have their place. My minimum order here is 100 gallons to get a bulk discount from one supplier and 150 from the other. So having both tanks available is very nice.

  2. #2Cogniz2024-10-28 13:07

    Sorry, should have added the intent. If the deal is good, I might go with a bigger tank and on farm delivery. But in my head this tank is on a trailer, with another smaller tank for non-ethanol gas. So my solution could go either way. I"m leaning more toward a trailer mount as I'm not dependent, or trapped, by delivery.