Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

buying used minio excavator, 8000-12000lb

cheathco ยท 2014-12-03 09:04

Been shopping for one with adv in craigs list 4 places near fayetteville ar. Got caught in a scam last sat, but think I will be ok. bobcat 430 and 331 (pretty much same as I can find) has come up a few times, one of real interest but has 12 in bucket and no thumb. I have found both in new and used. Question is how difficult to get them here and installed? I have zero experience with them. I also had call on a Takeuchi tb 45 but havent seen it, nor pix.

Replies8
  1. #1maddog2014-12-03 09:11

    Thumbs are easy to install IF you are a welder. You write you have zero experience with them(?) does "them" mean excavator or thumb/both?

  2. #2cheathco2014-12-03 09:44

    Both, i have had, have backhoes, small dozers and track loaders. The 430 in pix shows an attachment hole in outer boom i guess for hydr cyl, but thumb connector has to be welded on?

  3. #3pondo2014-12-03 14:01

    No welding for thumb. Bobcat changes the main bucket pin to incorporate the thumb. just cut nice cheque to local bobcat dealer approx $2000. But if you are going to use a hammer or auger might want to upgrade to e32 with dual hydraulics. Then u will also get hydraulic quick attach hitch....best money I ever spend! Change buckets from cab in seconds. ..not minutes pounding pins.

  4. #4cheathco2014-12-03 18:31

    I looked at the comparison vids, Nice features. All I have seen on mach trader are out of my price range tho. cheapest thumb I have found was little over a grand, guess would be a weld on. Im hoping to find a nice machine with a thumb and 24" bucket.

  5. #5pondo2014-12-03 19:23

    U still don't have to weld. Just buy some parts . Welding could screw up stick and the value of machine. Now for budget....mini ex do a huge amount of work for their size! But with everything being smaller...they wear out faster. Ie new tracks are over $2k plus install time u or some one else. Last 1000 to 100 hrs 8000hrs on big ex maybe ok, but 4000hr on mini is pushing it. Very quickly u could have a very lrg paper weight that's not worth fixing Jmho. Best wishes. Let us know what u do.

  6. #6cheathco2014-12-04 00:01

    Ok, I will not be using it for any comml work, just aroumnd my land. I probably havent put 300 hrs on my 480c b-hoe in the 8 yrs I have had it. Ill poat on here when I have the little bugger.

  7. #7maddog2014-12-04 07:57

    Cheathco: are you stuck with just Bobcat or are you looking at all machines in the weight range? When buying used and on a budget I have found that "brand" has little to do with the purchase, and condition is what is important. I also like to learn the history of the machine if possible. I am very mechanically inclined and have no problems understanding the difference between abused and used.

  8. #8cheathco2014-12-04 08:14

    No, I am looking at every brand in that catagory. I had an email about a Takeuchi that fit the need, but he backed off selling it, I have a Takeuchi TB45 which is heavier, , waiting to hear from seller. Initially travel;ed a long distance to look at a JD27D, But its too small. So far, response to my adv has been mostly Bcat