Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

By the time you read this it won’t be “new” any more…

digger242j ยท 2004-03-03 18:27

Since so many people seemed to get turned on by DK's opportunity to just hop onto a D8R and push 100,000 yards of dirt, I figured these pictures might be appreciated. The machine is on a job along Pittsburgh's Parkway West, near Campbell's Run Road (for those of you familiar with Pittsburgh). I'd been passing by there and seen it sitting there for a few days, not yet assembled--blade and arms sitting on the ground in different places, and the ripper tooth pointing toward the sky. Last week, as I went by, I saw it was almost together, and figured I'd better get a couple shots of it while I had the chance. I figured even those who've put lots of hours in on one over the years may *never* have seen one absolutely new from the factory. A couple of guys from Beckwith, Pittsburgh's Cat dealership, were putting heavier tracks on it. I appreciated their patience as I nosed around taking pictures while they tried to work--Thanks, fellas. They said, on that day, it had 6 hours on the meter. As you might be able to tell, none of it was from pushing dirt.

Replies11
  1. #1digger242j2004-03-03 18:29

    another...

  2. #2digger242j2004-03-03 18:30

    and another...

  3. #3digger242j2004-03-03 18:37

    Last one. Still had the plastic on the seat... Been by there this week again--somebody has spent the last few days scratching that pretty paint job. :crying

  4. #4badranman2004-03-03 20:42

    Cool...I'd love to drive that beast for a day, actually, I'd settle for 5 minutes! Pretty hard not to feel invincible in that thing.

  5. #5Steve Frazier2004-03-03 23:39

    My friend rented one just like that for a couple weeks, it wasn't brand new, but only a year old. I sat up in it, but didn't run it. Pretty impressive!

  6. #6Oregon Rob2004-03-04 15:42

    cool photos. Here is a link to an artical about the armored D9's the Army's using. http://cndyorks.gn.apc.org/caab/articles/kuwait-dig.htm

  7. #7BRL2004-03-04 20:35

    I'd probably pay for a 5 minute shift myself lol. Thanks for sharing digger242j!

  8. #8LaLaMan2005-04-16 13:01

    Whats the biggest dozer that can fit on a trailer without having to be disassembled? I would think the D6 will just make it for moving it on thw road, correct?

  9. #9Tigerotor77W2005-04-16 17:16

    Depends on the size of the trailer. (I know... smart@$$... beautiful day here, so I'm a little bit more rash than usual) There are some states where you can legally move a D8-class machine... though I'm not sure if a fully loaded D8T will do. You may have to remove the ripper or the blade (blade for width purposes). And there's a Komatsu loader in the second-to-last picture! (sorry, random observation.)

  10. #10digger242j2005-04-16 21:15

    The other day I saw a Daewoo 420 excavator being hauled down the road with the bucket and counterweight still installed. Daewoo's website says that's a 41.2 ton machine. Kinda had me wondering what the DOT would have to say about it...

  11. #112004F5502005-04-16 22:22

    The bigest you can move around here is a D9N or the now D9T. You need front and rear escorts, nothing has to be taken off but rops need to be flipped down or removed, about 15min. A D8R or D8T is pretty much a big D6 and is really easily to move, just load and have a permit and your all set.