Cat C-12 430 in 2000 KW dump. Oil cooler fails, engine overheats, cracks the head. I told the independent repair shop to go ahead and do an in-frame OH while the head is off since there's not a lot more labor involved anyway. Shop got it back together today. Has oil leak on bottom of turbocharger, looks like bad gasket on oil return line. Replaced gasket. Still leaks. Return line must be bad. Replaced line, with yet another new gasket. Still leaks. Shop swears they are not pinching the gasket. So they say it must be a bad turbocharger, leaking so it just APPEARS that the leak is at the return line connection. Want me to buy a new turbocharger! Any advice? For what it's worth, while the turbocharger was laying on the shop's floor last week I knelt down and tried to use the turbocharger diagnosis method I read in a JD dozer overhaul manual I happened to have, which basically says grasp both ends of the shaft, check for ease of spinning and fore and aft and up and down excessive free play. It felt real good to me, but I am no expert. Truck only has 400,000 miles, and the guy I bought it from said that the engine had been replaced by a dealer in the past. That is true because the engine s.n. does not match the VIN, per Kenworth dealer. Did they drop my turbocharger on the concrete floor and ding the connection surface? Why would it decide to start leaking now?
No replies yet.