Does anyone know how the camshaft gear is to to be removed from the cam on a 2008 Cat C7 in a Atlas Copco Compressor.I am doing timing cover reseal job and do not know the proper why cat wants you you to remove it .Their is only woodrift key in the to stop it from spinning on the cam no retaining bolt.Is the gear a press fit like a ring rear for a clutch?Please let me know.
The gear is pressed onto the cam, and is not designed to be removed for service. Cat wants you to remove the camshaft completely to reseal the front cover.
Hey waterdoc, in order to to remove the camshaft completely, do you have to remove the engine completely from the truck ?
Hey waterdoc, in order to remove the camshaft completely, do you have to take the whole engine off of the truck ?
You can do it in the truck take the hood off and radiator and front cover thenget followers out
I made a puller for the gear on the 3126 which I think is the same. Saves a pile of time. It's just 2 buttons with nuts on and they go in th holes in the gear. Takes about 6 hours to do a front cover on a bus or truck that way.
Wow been working at it for a while now? As mentioned you need to remove the hood and radiator. The cam will slide out. I have heard of people pulling the gear off and then pressing it back on and tack welding it as per @Mobiltech , But I worked for a Cat dealer and that was a strict no no.
There is no need to tack weld the gear on. It is a press fit. I worked at caterpillar when I did most of these front cover repairs on warranty. There is no problem doing it that way.