Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

C series timing pin part number

Slidey ยท 2016-11-15 07:59

Hey guys, does anyone have the part number for the spring loaded timing pin that pops into the flywheel when finding TDC on the c series engines, c27/32 and will the same one do the 3512/16 as well? I found this for a c7, will it work? http://www.atltimingpintools.com/atl-1r.html Thanks in advance

Replies8
  1. #1thepumpguysc2016-11-15 08:44

    I'm not sure it will work BUT.. $ 99.00 Sure is expensive for something that can be accomplished w/ the back end of a drill bit.. just my opinion..

  2. #2Slidey2016-11-15 09:02

    Have never turned over a 16cyl engine by hand with a 1/2' ratchet while trying to hold the bolt in place with the other hand? Its even worse on the 785 as you can't stand up straight while doing. The reason I want to get one is that according to sis you cannot put the bolt in the wrong hole but that is exactly what happened the other day to me on a dozer

  3. #3Nige2016-11-15 10:18

    I've never seen a pin used on a C27/C32, it's always one of the cover bolts (the long one) that engages into the threaded hole in the flywheel. 3512/3516 use the same procedure with a cover bolt. Are you using the roller-bearing turning tool..? It makes turning the engine so much easier.

  4. #4Mark2502016-11-15 15:37

    this is the part number for the spring loaded timing pin 136-4632 (about $340 dollars) will do 3300,3400,C15,C27 C32 and others plus there are adapters and pins to suit for different engines .if you want I can post pictures and adapter part numbers Mark

  5. #5Slidey2016-11-15 15:43

    Nige, I've only ever used the bolt but despite what it says on SIS it can go into th wrong hole if it's on the pi5s and that's what caught me out the other day. The place I'm currently working at has an air operated contraption to turn it over and it's magic but most places I've been just have the adaptor that goes into the hole vacated by the small plate held in by the long bolt Thanks for that part number Mark, I'll ask how much that is here but $340 is waaaay to much for me to stump up

  6. #6Zimbo2016-12-03 18:42

    Was the dozer a 10T? Which side did you time it on ? as the right hand side has a hole which used to have a speed sensor in it. This hole is bigger than the hole on the left which has the starter motor. Best way that I have found with the C27/32 in the dozers is to pin it in the larger hole but with an adapter out of a 3500 timing pin hole. Most times the plug by the starter motor for the pin is shagged as it's a small Allen key or *** tight. The newer Cat auto pins are black with knurled handle which is good as you can grip them with oily hands but can be lost easily due to the colour. Beware as some come standard with shorter pins which will keep you going on the turning tool for a bit.

  7. #7Zimbo2016-12-03 18:45

    MANN Studio Check Apexinds for cheaper timing pins.

  8. #8Slidey2016-12-05 03:29

    It was a 10T The hole used was the one with the threaded plug, 15/16 if I remember correctly. I'm getting a spurious one off eBay, should be handier than trying to hold the bolt in place