Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

C@t 211BLC advice please!

AtlasRob · 2009-03-26 16:02

As some may be aware I have a busmans holiday on Sundays and when time allows do volunteer work on a canal restoration project about 30mins drive from home, yes I drive the diggers when not at work also . The big machine is a Yumbo about 10t size that putting it frankly is no longer safe to use and in fact has not been moved for the past year as we had other priorities. Funding is by public donations, sponsored walks, profit from the boat trips (all crewed by volunteers) and some through the sale of property left by supporters in thier wills. I give you this information so you can understand how and why money is important. Money spent on machinery, tools etc whilst very important in the productivity stakes is looked on as money that should be spent on restoration. Now for the questions Tomorrow I hope to go and have a look at this C@t 211BLC that is for sale. I know very little about it other than the pictures from thier web site and the fact it runs, Oh and that its cheap It has a quick hitch, is piped for breaker, has a grapple bracket ( many know as a thumb) good running gear ( I'm told) and a C@t engine which I am informed makes it a later model as the earlier ones had a Mitsi power plant. I can work my way around all the usual checks, running gear, pins bushes, fluid levels and colours, cracks, weld repairs, new paint but are there any little tricks or pointers that any of you can offer so I can check for known issues ( that I dont know about) I believe and understand the original 2 series machines to have been quite a good piece of equipment and I feel this machine to be ideal for our needs. It will not be a prime mover by any means and will probably only clock up a couple of hundred hours a year. I will respond with up to date pics, promise. Heres where I play when free. http://www.weyandarun.co.uk/loxwoodbridge-11.php Note, the concrete road bridge, piling and bulk earthworks was done by contractors. The new lock was built by volunteers apart from the excavation and installation of the sheet piles.

Replies11
  1. #1312King2009-03-26 21:12

    Whats going up on top of the stick. looks like its been primered. Perhaps the stick broke at one time. I havent seen many of these so I can say good or bad. Looks pretty straight thow if that is the original paint.

  2. #2AtlasRob2009-03-27 16:21

    Looking at the dipper ram end I would agree with you. The repair whilst not pretty seems pretty sound, pity about the long pin Its a 1992 model supplied new to a UK purchaser and has had very little parts requirement from Cat and nothing on record to raise alarm ( compliments of local Cat dealer) :notworthy Good numbers and original Cat engine. I would say original paintwork. Machine started at first turn of the key, it was stone cold and had not been pre warmed before my arrival but had batteries on boost. It has water issues, the thermostat housing has been apart judging by the amount of rubber gasget seal oozing out and the header tank / rad cap area appears to have some repair work done to it. Rad needs a good clean We had a short flow of water from below the exhaust manifold that stopped after a minute and might have been rain water dislodged after moving the machine, but it became warm water a little later. I suspect the head gasket although there is no water in the oil. It is feasable for the water to escape to air rather than into the oil, its not mandatery upon failure for the head gasket to leak water to piston, or water to oil gallery is it? or am I being naive? If this engine has been cooked how bad could it be? I suspect no thermostat is installed due to the lack of temp guage movement in the time the machine was running although the rad hoses were getting hot. The machine was trapped in a corner and had been for quite a while but as a result it was impossible to give it a good workout. There is play in all the pins and bushes in all the usual places but with 16000+ hrs on the clock that is no suprise. Check valves on boom rams and no creep on them, the dipper arm creeps in very slowly but not out, bucket ram seems to hold but it was empty Do these machine not have a swing brake? I could only get about 20deg either side of straight due to space but the slew did not stop, I had to go the other way to stop it. I encountered this on the Atlas exc so was not too shocked just dont know if its norm. It seems to have electrical issues as no lights, horn or Quick hitch would function :Banghead all the pipes and cables and valve are there but just could not bring them all together at the right moment But swing brake switch did work No power to breaker circuit, pipes showed no sign of pressurization and no load on the pump when pedal activated, tried switch in both positions. Running gear seems satisfactory although the pads are well worn and have seen better days. I suspect the last few years this machine has been involved with demo/recycling due to the bracket ( 2 off) on the dipper arm and the bent track pads. Its up for £7750. Comments please, on engine, electrics, issues, go on I can handle it. Head gasket is £50 and I have spanners, very little spare time and no money but thats life all over. Whats this for?

  3. #3d4c24a2009-03-27 17:07

    slew ring hi rob it looks similar to a 205 cat ,which is an eder badged as cat my mate has one on the farm ,that has a pedal on the left for slew brake the weak link with his machine is the slew ring they seem to be a bit weak i think those are the heater controls in your last picture i know of a 1995 js130 with genuine 4500 hours sold for 7k recently and it was tidy,it may pay to look at a few dealers looking to move some trade ins good luck :drinkup graham

  4. #4AtlasRob2009-03-27 17:41

    Thanks Graham, you are quite right and I think I am getting too excited without looking a bit further and doing some more research. It is local which is convienient but not necessarily the best. I have seen a couple of similar js130 but they were asking around double that. I did wonder about heater controls, I found a fan switch

  5. #5Johnny English2009-03-27 18:54

    Euro auctions is on at leeds at end of April, could be as good place as any to snap up a bargain if your still looking then, all unreserved plant there for auction, usually loads of unsold trade ins go there

  6. #6Cmark2009-03-28 07:35

    Hey Rob That engine is a member of what is known as the "one point one" family. This includes the 3114, 3116 and 3126. the 11 and 12 part refers to the liters per cylinder, ie 1.1L or 1.2L and the last figure is the number of cylinders, ie 4 or 6. The early ones such as this had a MUI (Mechancal Unit Injector) fuel system, later models have a HEUI (Hydraulic Electronic Unit Injector) fuel sysem. Anyhoo to get to the point, special tooling is needed to set up the calibration and timing of the injectors (on these early models), so if you do decide to pull the head, factor in paying for a couple of hours of Finning's time to set up the fuel system again. Good luck.

  7. #7AtlasRob2009-03-28 16:22

    :notworthy THANK YOU! That is something I was not aware of. The more I think about it the less I like the idea . Its not so much the work that concerns me as the time and expense involved when spending other peoples hard earned and donated cash. The great thing about this forum is other members experience, it makes you look at things from a different angle.

  8. #8AtlasRob2009-03-28 16:28

    Thanks for that, I know there was one today, heavy input from A plant. I was not aware of the one at end of April, Its a long way but could work out well as I have a car to take to Dad on the Wolds, I was going to do it with the other half at Easter but I now see a plan developing for a long weekend and a train trip home. I think it would be too far to track a purchase

  9. #9Johnny English2009-03-28 17:35

    Yorkshire or Lincolnshire wolds?

  10. #10AtlasRob2009-03-28 17:58

    Yorkshire, Wetwang to be specific. I didnt know Lincs had any, I thought it was flat :drinkup

  11. #11Johnny English2009-03-28 18:05

    I live at the foot of the Lincolnshire wolds, grew up on a couple of family farms right on top. It is mainly flat, even the wolds aren't actually that hilly compared to wales, derbyshire etc. Their still steep enough for walking on though, had plenty of experience of that as a lad bush beating.