Looking at a Case W11D, any advise on what to look for or opinions would be appreciated.
Are you sure its not a W11B. I think B was the last unit before the new series came out. They were a sweet machine for its size. 70 HP case 4-390 engine and a one yard bucket, fast and with good breakout force almost 10,000 lbs and 4,200 on the lift while clearing a 10' sideboard on a dump truck. Turbocharger, cab unit, 4x1 bucket, extra weight package, suspension seat, were the main optional equipment. I think the mid 80's was the last built so your looking over twenty years old. They filled a void for contractors, cities, towns that wanted a small articulated machine.
My mistake it is a B. Machine I'm looking at is a former township unit, 3500 hrs on a working meter. Well maintained, garage kept. I haven't seen any major issues, not a leaker. Seems almost to good to be for real. I was wondering about any common problem areas to be aware of.
Never had any big issues, some had a clark and others a funk trans, some had brakes on only one axle and others on all four wheels, it all comes down to the service. Like you said 20 + year old machine, kept clean and garage kept. Other than oil samples and cutting the filters open, normal wear areas, cutting edge and loader pin and bushings. Center joint and steering cylinder pin and bushings. Control cables for the F/R and ranges. Brake adjustment ( machine has drum brakes). The big thing is the CDC engine with no sleeves, the W11 before the B ran the 207 case engine with wet sleeves.