Looking for a winch for 955L, anyone have any INFO or were to find a good used one? Also any tips on installing one, all replys appreciated.
Hiya toddcat. First up mate, your 955 has to have the rear pto. pto was actually an attachment on 955s later than the H and all 951,941, and ps D4Ds; ie they did not come standard with a rear pto shaft. First clue is there should be a small lever down by your left heel that disengages the main drive pinion. If theres no lever, look for a disconnected linkage etc. Most positive check is to remove the small cover on the rear main case for the pto shaft. You will need to drain the bevel gear oil first otherwise you will get wet ! Shine a torch in this hole, if no splined pto shaft then you will have to look or more likely make up your own hydraulic winch to run off the ripper or another hyd circuit. As for pto winchs most common ones I have seen were Hyster D4E or D4F winchs. HOWEVER they need a longer pto shaft than what was fitted as standard on D4s. But you may be able to make up a short double male splined shaft with a extra female coupler to lengthen a D4 shaft. Any other questions, fire away mate. Used to be a lot of 955s around in nz for woodlot logging with log forks and winchs; maybe a similar situation up in your pacific northwest. cheers merv
D6 Merv--- Thanks for the reply, my 955 L does not have a power take off shaft. I was hoping I could go with a hydraulic driven winch, but after looking at some on the internet they are quite expensive. I may have to do without for now until I can come across one at a good deal, if I could ever find that. Anyways thanks for the reply and I appreciate your help.
Have seen a few people make up there own subframes to adapt those Garwood or braden worm drive winchs onto machines with a hyd motor driving them. depends how much winching you have to do and how much power and/or speed you need. similar to the setups some people use on transporters for winching on immobile machinery. Yes the purpose made hydraulic winches by hyster and carco would be expensive. Also 955 will not have a high hyd pressure either, not sure wha;t but will be max of 2500, maybe only 2000psi like a 941.
D6 Merv--- Thanks for the info. Besides using a wench and pulling some trees out now and then, I got the unit stuck about 3 months ago and had to pay $500 for someone with a bigger unit to come out and Winch me out. Do not want to have to go through that again, Thought if I had a winch on my unit I could maybe keep that from happening again.
yeah know what you mean mate. have been toying with same idea of a hyd driven Garwood winch to mount on back of rippers on my D4E to solve same problem as yourself. problem is a winch is ok but you have to have something to hook onto to pull off too is still something that could be made up cheaply tho; 10000lb pull is usually enough to get you out if you stop early enough. last time I got stuck, I chained a post between both tracks at the rear and reversed out with the post acting like a big traction bar , you have to unchain it when it gets to the front of the machine tho ! well that or smash it !
Todd - I have this Carco c-12 for sale, someone mounted a hydraulic motor to it to use it on a home built tilt bed. I want $1200 for it, It has the hydraulic controls with it. I don't know the line pull rating, but the cable on it is 1/2".
Im in the same boat. I have been looking for a hyd winch to scab onto the ripper of my 175c. This unit has street pads and will some day get stuck. I don't have any other big yellows to get it out so I will have to rely on a winch of some sort. Besides maybe if I rig up a winch Ill never need it! Like when you buy a new snowplow? --->"southern guy with puzzled look" Anyway on looking at the prices of the bigger units and figuring what I would need. My plan is a somewhat smaller HYD winch, maybe 12-18K with a snatch block to double the power =24-36K. I may be wrong but I think on the flat, stuck ,that power would be enough for a 38K machine? Ive found with winching other stuck machines that you can sort of "break" the suction with a winch a little at a time VS just pulling with another larger machine. (Am I wrong)? Im only interested in using it to get unstuck, not for logs or attachments etc. If I could find a big 40K or similar for cheap of course I would go that way. I have found a few older units for $600-1000 that were BIG! but not rated. Maybe they were not all that strong but held a lot of cable, not sure. Owners didn't know either. I would sure like to hear about winching opinions past ordeals etc from anyone who has gotten big iron stuck. Didn't mean to hijack thread, it goes along somewhat. Many thanks....B
I've got a Gearmatic hydraulic winch on the back of my 977H. I don't know the model number of the winch but it holds about 150ft or so (just a guess) of 1 inch cable. If you already have a spare valve on your machine you're that much further ahead. Mine has an extra valve under the fuel tank/seat which I believe was an optional "4th Valve" if I'm not mistaken. I haven't gotten my machine stuck yet, but I have used the winch for logging and it works great for this! It pulls like crazy and I'm sure that if I anchored it to something really solid it would pull the tractor out of whatever predicament it was in! The only drawback on this particular winch is it doesn't freespool, so if you're working by yourself you have to lay a bunch of cable on the ground before dismounting the machine. If you're working with a choker setter no problem, just pay out the cable as they drag it to the tree/stuck iron. As for where to get one, perhaps try a truck wrecker to see if they have a hydraulic winch from a winch tractor, that should be relatively easy to rig up...
Do you still have the C-12 winch
things that dictate the line pull for any winch is internal gearing and input torque; which relates back to hyd psi pressure for a hyd winch, and of course gearing
Yair . . . I reckon winches are the classic demonstration of the quote that goes something like . . . "torque determines what you can do and horsepower determines the speed at which you do it". Through the gearing and reeving our slipway winch pulled 500 ton boats with a twenty hp electric motor. Cheers.
aye bang on the money scrub. geez what size of rope do you run on that thing on your slipway ??
Yair . . . D6Merv . The rope was 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" and was rigged (from memory) with eight parts that is four sheaves on the trolley and three and the keeper on the anchor. The sheaves were about two feet in diameter and arranged horizontal across the full width of the slip . . . may be able to find pictures if any one is interested Cheers.
Are we interested??? Geez, what a question! YES Andrew
Yair . . . Andrew_D . Okay mate, I'll have to dig the old photo boxes out and get some scanned. I'll start a new thread when it happens. It's strange you know. All that stuff happened in another life and shure, we took the odd picture for posterity but never realised it would be of interest to other folks . . . it was just work at the time. Cheers.
I'm interested too Scrub!!!
If anyone is still interested I have a D4E complete setup for a 955L or K. It includes the pto and controls. Thanks Phil [email protected]
Always interested in what you have for us ole boy!! Chum..