Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cali genius (true story)

DPete ยท 2016-06-30 14:43

Yesterday the waste oil guy came by to pick up used oil and filters, he informs me that the State of California has mandated separation of cartridge type oil filters from spin on's to be picked up in different barrels, that the cost of picking up cartridge type filters is $260.00 per barrel and spin on's $65.00 per barrel, because the cartridge filters have absorbent material they cost more to process. Growing increasingly tired of all the regulations I fired back " Just what the hell do the policy making idiots think is in the can of a spin on ?" What a joke!

Replies24
  1. #1Birken Vogt2016-06-30 16:39

    Don't give them any ideas, or the price will be $260 for both kinds and you will still have to separate them. I am glad I have not touched a cartridge filter in about 15 years, although I did have one unit in that had them, I did not need to mess with filters on it.

  2. #2lantraxco2016-06-30 16:46

    They make great fire starters for the shop stove... I suppose you need a catalytic convertor and WPF (wood particulate filter) on a stove pipe down there

  3. #3Truck Shop2016-06-30 18:47

    Detroit DD15 uses nothing but cartridge oil and fuel. We set them up in the filter drain tank for 48 hrs then in the dumpster they go. Burn the waste oils and diesel Truck Shop

  4. #4lantraxco2016-06-30 18:57

    Truth be told, the cartridge filters are hazardous waste. The metal cans get crushed to remove as much oil as possible, and the can gets recycled for steel... so into the furnace it goes where all the flammable hazardous material is conveniently incinerated while adding to the heat... one has to assume the steel scrap pays for most of the recycling cost? Maybe you could use a modern version of a mangle, or a nice cylinder press with holes at the bottom to reduce the cartridges to near nothing. Over a thousand filters to the barrel, yeah?

  5. #5Truck Shop2016-06-30 19:12

    Truth be told there is nothing that isn't hazardous waste in one way or another. It just depends on who has an ax to grind. Truck Shop

  6. #6walkerv2016-06-30 19:17

    I drain my spin ons for a day then run them thru a filter crusher and let them drain for another day and toss them into a barrel, when its time to take the shop scrap to the scrappers they go into the bin , I let my cartridge filters drain out for a few days and dumpster they go , I have tried to crush them before it either does nothing or makes a mess in the crusher. In NC small generators can throw oil filters in the trash we qualify as that according to our enviromental people.

  7. #7CM19952016-07-03 09:44

    The waste oil company picks up our metal filters for free and pays going rate for waste oil which isn't much but at least it doesn't cost to get rid of them. Same here in AL, we're small quantity generators. If we are audited by ADEM, we have the receipts for the filter and used oil pickups from the waste oil company.

  8. #8walkerv2016-07-04 15:52

    what company is picking up your oil ? In 6 months we went from free pick up for 300 gallons or more to 40 bucks then 60 bucks then 110 bucks to 160 bucks a pick up from safety clean just for the used oil, I told bosses we need a bigger tank If we are going to keep getting hammered like that or a real big tank and a waste oil heater .

  9. #9CM19952016-07-04 17:26

    It's a local company, the trucking company we share our yard with set it up. If they have started charging I haven't heard of it but if they do I'm sure I will. We dump our waste oil in the same tank as well as filters in the same drum. I've never asked for any proceeds from the oil sales even when oil was up, not enough to make a difference.

  10. #10CaptainAnalyzer2016-07-04 17:36

    We let them drain for a week or so, then dumpster. We also burn waste oil for heat. We will go through nearly 3,000gal of it during a 5 month Chicago winter. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #11DPete2016-07-04 18:43

    When crude was high I was getting paid a small amount like $40.00 for 300 gals of waste oil, this last pickup cost me $120 for 220 gals.

  12. #12Turbo218352016-07-09 20:24

    Whats ironic is any "special haz waste" I've ever sent out that contains oil, from say a gas station, ends up at the landfill. Its all about the paper trail, even though its been hauled off site, the company or person responsible, will always own it, even with it in a landfill.

  13. #13Bumpsteer2016-07-09 22:38

    How true. A former employer got nailed by the EPA, waste from a company with the same name at a toxic cleanup site. He had to prove his company didn't exist when the waste was put there.......guilty until proven innocent. Ed

  14. #14Turbo218352016-07-10 09:13

    There are only two ways I know of to completely end your ownership of any contamination. At least in regards to contaminated soils. 1 would be incineration, but there may be some question that you technically still own the ash. 2 would be an environmental company in the Ypsilanti Mi area. Depending on the contamination, they mix the soil with their super special secrete chemical formulation, which happens to be bleach for any volatile organic compounds, then they solidify the mess with Quick Lime. At which time they place in their own landfill. As part of their process they give some paperwork absolving you of ownership of the treated soils. The only true way to no longer own contamination is a company going out of business. Not being sold off to another. Not because of a bankruptcy restructuring. Completely gone. Even at that point, the company owner may be on the hook until he or she is dead and gone.

  15. #15DPete2016-07-10 11:41

    Not sure you can read this because of size, Like I said, what do they think is in the can?

  16. #16DPete2016-07-10 12:39

    Why would a bare cartridge be hazardous waste and the cartridge inside the can not be?

  17. #17Axle2016-07-10 13:48

    Wrap the cartridge in tinfoil and call it a spin on... Paint it orange if there is any question of its validity. =-)

  18. #18Birken Vogt2016-07-11 01:33

    Maybe if the larger shops cry loud enough this will get car makers to quit with the blasted cartridge filters from 1940 and return to spin-ons like worked fine for the last 50 years.

  19. #19JDOFMEMI2016-07-16 23:58

    Well, why am I not surprised that this originates in Kalifornia, land of fruits and nuts. We have let the nut jobs take over the asylum, and here is one of the many fine results.

  20. #20check2016-07-17 08:03

    That's it in a nutshell. The whole purpose of environmental cleanup companies is to move nasty stuff from point A to point B at a very high cost. Do not expect the media or the government to ever disclose much about point B. When I worked in the oilfield we payed environmental companies big bucks to haul off tanks of contaminated substances to dispose of. We used to simply inject them into our dead wells. I found out what the environmental companies do with the stuff. They inject it into dead wells elsewhere.

  21. #21Delmer2016-07-17 10:14

    Because the can is recyclable, so spin on filters get a "pass", just like waste oil burners are allowed with conditions. The cartridge has no recycling value, so it's hazardous waste.

  22. #22DPete2016-07-17 11:10

    Well said Jerry

  23. #23Truck Shop2016-07-17 18:39

    And here all this time I was told it was the land of milk and honey.

  24. #24hetkind2016-07-19 08:35

    There is the concept of cradle to grave tracking of hazardous waste to avoid things like Love Canal and Times Beach, Missouri. When I used to work in the environmental field, we would track the material until it reached the EPA certified TSD (treatment, storage and disposal) facility, and only once we got the manifest, back from them signed, did our responsibility end. Howard