Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Calibrating slope and grade control on 2024 D3

drnovice · 2024-09-15 12:28

All: I am new to dozers and just bought a new D3 with slope and grade assist. While both seem to operate as advertised, the grade control appears to be out of calibration. Although, the displayed grade matches when I do a static test on a level or hillside surface, when pushing light-fill the machine consistently "climbs" when set to 0. Is there an approved method to check the calibration? CAT service is not providing a lot of help, I assume because I am viewed as a "one and done" customer. That hurts as it was a brand new machine.

Replies10
  1. #1Nige2024-09-16 09:45

    Can you post a Serial Number please. I may be wrong but I suspect that you will need someone with Cat ET diagnostic software to do a full calibration.

  2. #2drnovice2024-09-16 10:03

    XKW04981CAT D3 - Small Track Type with 6-way blade The performance "may" be within spec, as it was presumably calibrated at the factory where the blade was installed. That said, it doesn't hold a good grade over 100 feet.

  3. #3Nige2024-09-16 10:17

    I wouldn't for a moment assume that was the case.......... I don't know for certain but it could just as easily be a job that falls to the selling dealer as part of the machine pre-delivery process. See the attachment. As I suspected it requires ET to do any and all calibrations. In your position I would be contacting (in order) your sales rep, sales manager, branch manager, and group manager until I got some satisfaction. If that does not produce the desired result ask them to give you a contact number for the Cat Area Rep and contact him/her directly. Nothing gets a dealer's attention more quickly than going over their head and complaining to the factory rep.

  4. #4drnovice2024-09-16 10:50

    Thanks, I have that document. While it looks like something I could do, it appears best that it be done by CAT with a laptop and the appropriate software. The one thing that gives me pause is: "Caterpillar recommends completing the machine inclination sensor calibration on hard, even, firm ground, or preferably concrete. In such case where a surface is not available, the machine achieves consistent, full grouser penetration in soft and loose material can lead to acceptable results. If concrete is not available, ensure that the track disturbance of the ground surface is minimized for best calibration results." I don't have a good surface where I can guarantee full grouser penetration or a concrete pad. I did position the machine on two surfaces (one nearly flat, the second about 10 degrees up) and then move it 180 degrees. The readings matched, which I found both reassuring and confusing because it doesn't appear to grade as it should.

  5. #5CM19952024-09-16 11:03

    What did the service dept tell you? Have they come out to look at the machine? Did you get a tech warranty?

  6. #6drnovice2024-09-16 11:08

    full 3-year warranty. Lots of promises, no action as of now on a service call. Everyone seems to want to help, all are good folk, I guess I am not a priority. I'll give my sales rep another call and follow up as you suggested if I can't get support. I am just trying not to be "unreasonable".

  7. #7Nige2024-09-16 11:12

    Almost at the top of the first page “Cat ET” is shown in a table as the required tooling. I have no experience of setting up a system like this one but if it was able to be calibrated from the keypad/instrument panel the procedure would normally say so. Maybe @CM1995 can shed some light. IIRC he has one or more machines in his fleet equipped with grade control. You’re not being unreasonable in my book. You’ve paid good money for a machine. The expectation is that it should work as designed.

  8. #8CM19952024-09-16 12:04

    Agreed. OP you bought a new machine for a reason - full support and warranty. Dealer needs to step up. We've used the standard 2D grade control a few times to build flat building pads. Since we are running GPS we don't use the feature very often. Not much help on the machine not holding the grade as we have not experienced that. Although we have had an issue with the sensor on the blade getting dirt and debris on the sensor that was affecting the automatics running GPS. It has a metal guard and the sensor is inside. It's not hard to take the guard off and clean the outside of the sensor of any debris. May or may not work but it's something easy you can do. We didn't think it would affect anything but it has happened to us twice.

  9. #9drnovice2024-09-16 12:15

    Thanks, I'll try cleaning the sensor. I have now reached out to my sales rep and tried to make it clear, as politely as possible, that I expect reasonable service. We shall see.

  10. #10CM19952024-09-16 12:21

    Oh yeah - Welcome to the Forums! Glad to have you.