Hello! My first real post. Just purchased a 2005 John Deere 317 skid steer with 1235 hrs. It has a Deutz 4024T engine. It will be stored outside. This unit will be used for personal use, and light business use. Due to high demand for skid steers in my neck of the woods, I purchased one from California, and had it shipped to me. It was in a rental fleet, and was regularly maintained. My first of probably many questions to come, is what do I need to look at doing to make this baby ready for the extreme cold in North Dakota? First thing is a block heater. What is the best type to install. See magnetic, see stick on pad, see screw in ones. What should I look for? What about engine oil? Should I look at switching out the engine oil for something lighter, or even synthetic? Same question for hydraulic oil? I am somewhat mechanically inclined, but may hire some work out. Just like to be informed. Thanks, Nodak
Well I would look for a block heater that fits in one of the freeze plug holes. We just use regular 15w40 here in Bismarck for all the services we do and don't seem to have very many problems.
The block heater is the key really. I have run down to minus 42 and as long as your plugged in and take time to warm up the hyd oil I have not a had any problems. You might try to find the biggest/best battery you can that will fit in your battery box. Also I believe that has a Deere motor and not a Duetz. Synthetic oil will certainly aid in getting it started.
proper warm up when its cold is the biggest aid you will ever have, keep it plugged in and let it warm up for 20 min or so on cold days. also might as well change all fluids and filters so you know its done and can start fresh with keeping track of that stuff. I run mobil delvac 15-40 in my diesels with great luck. and screw in block heater that replaces the freeze plug is the way to go, if you wanna put a pad style on the hyd tank it prob would hurt when temps get extreme cold and keeping some kind of cover on it would be beneficial, even if its a tarp, i hate leaving my machine outside at all, it lives in my garage
I have a 250 watt heating pad on the engine oil pan and a 750 watt block heater that in in a freeze plug in my perkins. The perkins would not start below 15*f , it just wouldnt crank fast enough. this past summer I had the starter rebuilt also but I think the best bang for your money will be a " in block heater" from zerostart , you just need to know exactly what motor you have and what size the freeze plug is before you buy it. If I plug it in cold it will fire right up as if it was a cold start in the summer , it only needs 30 min if its around zero to warm the motor up to around 70*F. The hydrolics need some time idleing to gey even just a little heat so dont fire it off and bang the trotttle wide open and go to work , give it 15 mins then work the bucket up and down with no load for a few mins then put some RPM to it. the return filters and pump cavitation is where the cold oil is a problem.
Thanks for the feedback! So am I correct that this is a water cooled engine, and not oil cooled then?
Freeze plug heater warms the water in the block and is a great aid, make sure glo plugs and other starting aid features are up to par. Never hurts to have a kerosene or diesel jet heater to aim at the motor when all else fails or ya forget to plug it in, what ever you do, don't just buy a case of starting fluid and say hell with it lol