I have a customer who feeds a shredding plant and keeps overloading the thing and plugging up the outflow. When I asked him about how he feeds it he told me he can't see into the maw so he loads it till stuff is sticking out the top. I was thinking that some type of camera system with a remote monitor would be ideal for this kind of work. I'm looking for ideas and suppliers and anyone who has experience with this type of situation.
How far from where the cab to where he loads? I’ve had good luck with the stuff I’ve gotten from rear view safety. Reasonably priced and last well. I’ve always gotten wired setups. Haven’t even looked to see if they have wireless if that’s what you need.
I got this one from amazon. Hooks up to my phone or iPad. I work alone all of the time and use it anytime I need a second set of eyes. Back up camera or whatever.
We use cab cams. http://thecabcam.com/index.html Have had quite a few over the years. and had very good experience with them. We have two wireless cameras mounted on augers and overhead grain bins. with displays in 4 trucks. you can switch to either camera easily. Or you can have 4 or more cameras on one display. Also have some older wired ones still in use. they must be 8-9 years old and still work. The new ones have a great picture in the dark also. I think we are using 5 different systems right now. All are cab cams They may not be the cheapest ones on the market but very good company to work with and a good reliable product.
I'd need the camera on the top of the feed hopper and the display in the cab of an excavator. The Swift Hitch looks like a promising solution. The four hour battery life would be a problem.
Wireless camera with wired power. At least I think that's the right model. http://thecabcam.com/CDW7M1C.html E: I missed Famerlund's post.
Is that’s the one you fixed the pump on?
The swift hitch one can be hard wired to 12 volts. The battery seems to last pretty good. I use it for all kinds of things. Like finding hydraulic leaks on excavators and log loaders. I have used it as a back up camera on a skid steer, where I was working steep ground.
The cab cams are not truly wireless. they need power to the camera (12v) but no wires to the display from camera.
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll be checking them out probably after we get some relief from all the snow that's been coming down.
Hey John! You guys got dumped on again? I haven’t talked to my family like three weeks now! We are having “Seattle’s” weather in Mobile today! Cool and drizzly - just the way I like it. And I’m NOT looking forward summer at all!!!
Might be a bit overkill for your customer John, but what about this..? www.provix.net/ They specialize in equipment for the mining industry so I'd assume they'd also perform in a shredding environment
R2D2?!
Thanks Nige, that's what he needs. I have to find out what he would pay now. I appreciate all the replies.
Provix do all sorts of types of cameras. I'm sure there will be one in the product line that will fill his needs. As an added plus for your customer they are located in Toronto.
The dollar judgement is the consideration now. Thanks for the info!
I’ve been looking for one of those to be able to line up final drives and similar tasks for working alone on equipment
I posted somewhere details about how we use GoPros linked up to an iPad for aligning the swing bearing on a large excavator. HeavyEquipmentForums
That’s an excellent solution I don’t have Go Pro money but I wonder if any of the clones can do the same. I’ll have to look into it more