Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Can 13 ton excavator lift and move a 20ft Shipping container !

Alfy101 ยท 2011-12-03 07:03

Has anyone tried or knows if a case 13 ton excavator without a bucket is capable of lifting and moving a 20ft Shipping container that weighs 2.4 ton ! I have to hire the machine in to do this and tried lifting the rear of the container with I think was an 18 ton which did it with ease so wondered if a 13 ton is capable of doing it as I need to move the container about 300 yards down a hill and up a small one ! Also does anyone know the differance in arm lengths from a 13 ton to an 18, Reason is a 13 ton is more practical to move around the land than the 18 ton but contianer must be moved !

Replies8
  1. #1masterwelder2011-12-03 08:21

    We have moved them with our 312BL without much trouble. They are bulky, but the weight was not a problem.

  2. #2AmericanLandMgt2011-12-03 11:36

    I've never actually dead lifted mine but I have the same setup you have and I can drag the container around from one end with no problem. It picks up one end so easily I can't imagine it having any trouble picking up the entire thing. Isn't the general rule that excacaters can lift one third of their weight? So a twelve ton machine can lift around four tons.

  3. #3CRAFT2011-12-03 14:04

    It's more where the centre of gravity lies ....... if it is like most all 20' cans they only weigh 5500 lbs ...you may have to take your bucket off (hopefully you have a quik attach system) because reach/ height may be an issue to do a dead weight lift

  4. #4Jam2011-12-03 15:33

    Our 312bl picks them up no bother. If your carefull you can slew them accross the tracks.

  5. #5cjplanthire2012-02-14 09:32

    shouldnt be a problem i move 40footers with a cat 312cl, a 20footer should be a clean lift

  6. #6CRAFT2012-02-14 11:02

    I'd think by now that it has been done by now ........hmmmmmm ..... maybe NOT ??? ......maybe there'll be a pic follow up

  7. #7uffex2012-02-14 12:45

    Lifting a 2+ ton container Not to be recommended take a look at the Case spec sheet any chance of lifting one end, then put it on rollers and drag it?

  8. #8mike694402012-02-14 18:08

    Most 12-14 T machines will lift 3 tons over the front or rear but your radius will be short and you most likely will not be able to lift it much more than a foot or two off ground. If you must guide it have it tied off by ropes so no one is near and do not lift over side. I doubt you could lift it high enough or out far enough to safely load on a flatbead truck.