Hi guys. I would love to be able to pull dead equipment up onto my rgn. (Non ground bearing, triaxle) and a have a 50,000 lb winch of like to mount, but where? Do I mount it to the goose neck? 1.detach 2. Drive to back of trailer 3. Back goose neck to back of trailer 4. Winch dead machine onto trailer Or mount it above the axles? 1. Detach 2. Drive To back of the trailer. 3 un hook hyd lines from goose neck 4. Hook lines to winch 5. Winch dead machine onto trailer In either scenario, what is to stop the trailer from being winched towards the dead machine as opposed to vice versa? And what's to say that the trailer, winch line and dead machine will all be in a straight line? I need some Tonka toys to run some tests. Haha. Has anyone ever seen a winch on an rgn? Thanks in advance. It's been years since I posted on here.
How about on the truck instead?
A rgn trailer on the ground will be hard to move, only a very stubborn machine will test that. Hook your winch to the truck as shown, lots of trucks like that. You will probably need some good wheel chocks or a Deadman to tie the truck off to doits doesn't move while winching
I do like the truck mount idea. But I don't think it'll work. Partially, because I have to share that space with the hydraulic tank. I'm sure I could reconfigure, and make it work. But the real issue would be the process it creates. The process of loading/ wincihng would be pretty clumsy. 1. Drop whole trailer. (Not terrible, but space is needed. Which may or may not be an issue. Also, I have to chain the gooseneck up to drop trailer or it sags and king pin catches on the truck frame.) 2. Use relatively light weight truck to winch out potentially much heavier/ more stubborn dead piece. 3. Rehook trailer and position near dead piece 4. Separate rgn 5 drop goose neck off truck. (Nearly impossible without support equipment) 6 Winch dead piece onto trailer 7. Re mount goose neck to truck (I can't get my head around how I would do this in an uncontrolled environment) 8 rehook goose neck to trailer The other option is at step 5 is to run the cable over the goose neck. Seems risky with both hyd lines, both brake lines and trailer electrical all right in that area. But, could be managed. I appreciate the responses, though.
Like this?
Do you have ramps on the trailer? Or, how does the winching process go once you disconnect the house Goose neck?
It's a rolling tail board so everything is skid loaded. The trailer is rgn but we don't ever do that, it's a manual rgn so the winch is needed to remove it as well. I was giving you an example that having a winch there is fine, an winching with a light truck can be fine, we do that all the time If your truck has a winch on it you can get more work too, but you do you and you should be happy.
I had a salvage company get a burnt 322 I had. He had the winch on the tail of a trailer like yours and backed the truck up to the rear of the trailer to power it. I don't know if he chained the trailer to the truck or not. He did pull the axles on the excavator so it rolled easy. That's all he did was haul broke equipment.