Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Can anyone recommend an easy to use drill bit sharpener?

HARDBITS ยท 2017-05-03 06:09

I would love to know if anyone can recommend a drill bit sharpener that is easy to use. Of particular interest is sharpening 135deg split point cobalt. I have not tried any but seems users reviews are so varied when it comes to ease of use.

Replies11
  1. #1Hobbytime2017-05-03 06:36

    I have one of the Drill Dr , sharpeners and it works very well and its easy if you can read and follow directions..sometimes people blame a tool for a poor operator..I spent a few days sharpening all those dull bits that sit in all the draws and shelves, probably a hundred or so in all sizes and it worked great with no failing of the sharpening unit..

  2. #2HARDBITS2017-05-03 06:42

    I agree sometimes reading instructions is too much for some when it could make their life easier... Have read good reports about the Drill Dr, only negative I read was someone saying it was too complicated to set up, but guess you can't cater for everyone.

  3. #3Hobbytime2017-05-03 06:47

    well I will refer to my first post about reading directions...if you can, it is an easy unit to use, if not, just buy new bits and give the old ones to someone that can read directions..LOL

  4. #4HARDBITS2017-05-03 06:48

    Brilliant

  5. #592U 34062017-05-03 10:42

    I've used the Drill Dr. I didn't like it at first but now that I've figured it out it works good. I still do the majority of my sharpening at work old school with a bench grinder.

  6. #6Rob Gunn2017-05-03 11:42

    Take a look at this attached video that may help. With a little practice you will be able to do what needs to be done. Start out with a bigger drill lice maybe 1/2" so you can see what your doing. Or ask around town if there are any old retired tool-makers that are looking for beer money?

  7. #7Birken Vogt2017-05-03 11:49

    I've been threatening to get a Drill Dr. for years now. With a bench grinder I think it is easy to sharpen large bits but small bits are the challenge because I can't see the tiny angles that well and don't want to get my face that close anyway. And also it is harder to manipulate the bit. Do you find the Drill Dr. works better on the small ones than by hand?

  8. #8Hobbytime2017-05-03 13:00

    you said it the best...bigger bits are easier to sharpen on a grinding wheel, and the smaller are a snap with the drill dr, but the drill dr lets you put pilot points and different angles on the bits too, that a grinding wheel alone cannot..

  9. #9FarmWrench2017-05-03 20:23

    I've had a 750 Drill Dr. For 10+ years.? It also does carbide hammer drillbits. Easy to use. I fill a cup with dull before I fire it up.

  10. #10DIYDAVE2017-05-03 20:42

    I recommend the Drill doctor for novices. mine came with a video. My eyes ain't good enough to do anything under about 1/8", so I usually buy any smaller than that. I also have the grinder mounted gadget, its pretty good, for the little $ it costed me, found it in a box lot of stuff from an auction... Here's a video, on the drill doctor:

  11. #11ol'stonebreaker2017-05-03 22:07

    I had a drill dr for about 10 yrs and it got so it wouldn't sharpen right. Called the factory and they said if you leave it in the open the grinder dust, etc collects on it and over time wears the cams down. Ordered a new one and made a rack so it hangs on the side of a cabinet and has a slightly oily grease rag over it for dust protection. The new one also makes split points. Mike