I was working out of town a few weeks ago. I was looking for a computer keyboard for my laptop in a storage room at the shop. I found an old newspaper clipping dating back to 1967. The truck looks like a early 1960s Kenworth. I'm wondering if there is anyone here that could tell me about the truck. What engine options would have been available at the time. What would the trucks max speed be. Towing that rigging with 9 axles. I notice the truck's tires are larger than the low-beds. The low-bed tires are probably close in size to 24.5" that are used today. It could be an off highway or oil field truck. V12-71 Detroit Diesels were popular in off highway logging trucks out here on the west coast in the late 1960s. NH220 Cummins were a common engine then too. Arrow Transfer is still in business today. Thanks! Terry
Probably 12.00x22's on the old A-Car, cannot see the grill but appears to have a solid exposed radiator tank. Most of the heavy haulers had deep reduction differentials, so low in fact they could barely make 55mph unloaded. Most of these were logging era departures. Definitely Hendrickson suspension, biggest they made in the 'Old Days' was 44,000, frame rails have had some sort of top flange bracing installed. Setting a Joe Dog behind the truck spread weight out pretty well.
Not to disagree DM but that's a KW with Big Six suspension. You can tell by the top of cab and right door. Late fifties early sixties, KW stopped production on that cab and door design in 63. Could have early 335 Cummins. Truck Shop
Fenders and Hood are wrong though as well the radiator: https://i.pinimg.com/736x/fd/33/48/fd3348d6d5c823ca6d065a30d49054c6--semi-trucks-big-trucks.jpg
Kenworth built many varieties of off road and oil field trucks. A neighbor of my brother worked for Kenworth from 1938 to 1973 in the heavy duty off road division as a engineer. I spent several hours looking at his collection of memorabilia from all those years at Kenworth. He had pics of many trucks and designs most of us have probably never seen. Kenworth built many like that one pictured above with angled fenders and radiator shells like that. Truck Shop
I'm betting the truck in the OP is a Kenworth too. It does have the pre '64 cab. I'm going to say the tires on the truck are 14,00x 24's on the large Budd pattern with 1 3/4' hex nuts and 15/16" squares on the inner nuts. Probably running 9 to 1 rear gearing or close to that Not good for much over 45 MPH without overdrive. (drove an old KW logger pulling a water tank)
Thanks, have learned some more even at my Old age!!
This one looks a lot like old beast I drove hauling water to a drill rig in the late 70's. It did have a full Kenworth hood but the same round top fenders, it was orange with Crown Zellerbach markings. I think it was a '48 or '49, had a 220 that was stamped 1963 with a 4x3 trans setup and honest Timken worm drives and NO power steering. The tank it pulled was ex military with a 3" king pin and must have been setup for the 10 ton 6x6's because it sat level on the old KW. It was later sold to a company that put a set of Tulsa winches and heavy gin poles on it I think it's still out there somewhere.
http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/pix/trucks/hank_rabe/2005/nov06/kenworthhydrovernon3.jpg Found another one just like the early photo, trailer and all!
Wow, that should pack a pretty good load. Funny related story. Once due to a personnel shortage, I had to be the rear steer guy on a smaller, but similar trailer. The truck driver was an idiot and drove like he was in a pickup and expected me to take up his slack. After the second tight corner I dynamited the brakes and rode off with the pilot car driver. He just couldn't understand it was a team effort and his actions set up what I had to do in the rear. (nobody else would work with him either)
On the same page as that KW was Hayes and Pacific trucks, look just like the KW but with the exposed radiator. http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/hayes04.html
I've been the tillerman on some dual lane moves. It takes a couple turns before you know if it's going to be a good trip or a loooong trip. I've also been the one up front as well. I've had good hands steering me and some I think I'd have been better off with the remote in one hand and the steering wheel in the other!!
We had no remote. Had to make a backup move with this guy before we loaded, I told him "just steer the jeep and I will do the rest." as soon as the deck on the main went one way, he froze and screwed up the whole thing. I was half an inch of dragging him out of the cab and pounding on him. But I put on my nice face and just called him stupid.
Been there myself! We had an old transformer trailer that I think Fred Flintstone used back in the day. Nice cozy platform to ride along on. I don't think there was a square or straight piece of steel left on it. Tower was so worn out on it it always dog tracked based on the crown in the road. One thing about it, you could load just about anything you wanted on it and it would carry it. It had been strapped and re-arched so many times. It was strictly a rail head to transformer pad, it worked really slick to jack-n-slide off of. Ah those were the days!
In the lower 48 Hayes was considered a Canadian Kenworth. Hayes and Pacific used the KW cab. The forestry forum on here has tons of photos of all three. Truck Shop
I've seen plenty of Hayes trucks down here, But I've also seen trucks with "Kenworth of Canada" emblems. The same thing?
PACCAR may have closed those Canadian operations but the heart of those beasts lives on in the C500 KW. Western Star makes a version in their 5900 chassis. Too bad those old standard companies have all but died out as Hayes and Pacific. Kind of liked Brockways too.