It was made for the Military and I am told it went to Vietnam.It has a Manufacture plate from a company that does not return any hits on Google. It is used to grade a five mile dirt access road into our community. I got here 12 years ago and it was already here. We pass the hat for fuel money and someone always steeped up to drive it. Well our last driver is too old now and no one is stepping up. I am 67 and I only took it out today because I am disgusted with the condition of the road. The problem is the brake cylinders leak. How do I get brake kits if I don't have Make and Model? People have been driving this for 12 years with no brakes. where do I even go for parts? Any help will be appreciated....Thanks.
Definitely an old girl! What name is on the manufacture plate? The front wheels remind me of a Galeon grader. Anyway, back to the brakes, all I could suggest would be to strip the cylinders down and hope that the seals are a simple cup type, in which case an auto parts store should be able to source the correct items, or at least something that will work. Better still would be a company that specialises in brakes.
Take the brake system apart and go to a good parts house. They should be able to match up the parts. Im sure it is wagner or bendix supplied brake system.
How to rejuvenate master and slave cylinders in old equipment! All kinds of old equipment with hydraulic brakes “and even hydraulic clutch systems” will have a master or slave/wheel cylinder start leaking sometime. A lot of equipment it takes many hours plus, a fair amount of dollars to repair the system. Many times the only thing wrong is the seals get dried out; Brake Fluid doesn’t have the additives to maintain these seals. Brake Fluid is between 0 and 5 weight in viscosity, with the ability to withstand high heat without breaking down. Well there is an alternative to using Brake Fluid in your old equipment. I’ve tested this alternative in a couple pieces of equipment; the last is my 1953 Caterpillar 12 grader. The grader had a complete brake job just 15 years ago and only about 500 hours of use over the years, so the brake system isn’t worn out, just dried out. It had one brake cylinder leaking, the alternative fluid, fixed this leak, in less than two weeks, and it still works great. Are you ready for the alternative fluid??? I’ve been using 5-15 multiviscosity engine oil. Specially formulated for high mileage engines “over 75,000 miles”. I’m using Valvaline brand but most oil manufactures are making the same type and putting additives into the oil which clean and rejuvenate seals. What is the down side? There are really two downsides; one, the fluid has more viscosity than standard Brake Fluid. These means your pedal comes back a little slower than it would have with Brake Fluid. The second down side; it will not stand up to the high heat that Brake Fluid will. If you have old equipment which you’re using your brakes enough to get the brakes hot, the engine oil will degrade sooner that Brake Fluid and put more trash into your system. So for your old equipment brake systems using hydraulic fluid, you may consider switching to high mileage engine oil. Happy Braking! Paul the Buggyman
It's powered by a Detroit Diesel may be a Adams, not a Gallion may be Wabco. A brake job on that would be a lot of heavy work, just trying to pull those rear wheels is more than likely a bit more work than you can handle
Looks like a Wabco... I don't know of anyone who still makes parts. You might have better luck finding a parts machine and robbing off of it.
I think Minn-par does Wabco parts, if that is what it is. I've never worked w/ a small Wabco, but I don't think it's a Galion. You really don't need brakes with a blade under you, it'll stop you better than the brakes on a brand new one.
My guess is that its a Letourneau Westinghouse, I ran them quite a bit in the USAF back in the late 70's early 80's . WE had 2 or three of them and a Allis Chalmers M100 all Knucklebusters. ALthough truthfully th eey weren't so hard on the knuckles as on the palms of your hands and wrists when they kicked back occasionally. The mechanisms would wear and either be hard to hold in or the brakes would wear and the circle would drop on one side or the other. Other than that I always liked running them. Steve
http://www.google.com/imgres?q=leto...bnh=164&tbnw=300&start=0&ndsp=21&tx=175&ty=54
Wabco= Westinghouse Air Brake co
Adams motor grader . Hello Rocrem , I think it is a similar machine as the Adams motor grader , i post a picture of an old Adams of a Dutch combination on Curacao , the photo coms from the site of Huub van Dijk , www.bouwmachinesvantoen.nl
WABCO 440....the Marines had a bunch of them.
Brake supplie in evansville indiana would probably have anything you need pull the parts and they should have a number cast or stamped into it, but pulling those drums off the rear is going to be a big job people use to loosen that big nut a round or two and run the machine untill the hub loosened on the shaft then pull which every one down that loosened up first and fix the brakes but sometimes you had to really run it awile before it loosened up its either that or fix up a press and adapter and rosebud to get it off
LOL, most of the tires are mounted the wrong way on the rims. The two on the left rear tandem seem to be OK, and the other four are running backwards. Maybe it was different in Nam. I never made it over there, thank God. Don't reckon it makes a hoot about motor grader tire orientation in a place like that. It was probably there with the Navy SeeBees who were out front building roads and LZs. Buddy of mine who was there said you had a better chance of getting hurt by broken-off bamboo shoots coming through the rear brush screen when backing up a dozer than you had of being shot at. Glad I missed it, and my hat is off to those who served there.