OK so I came into this thing? a generator YES, BUt there are NO name tags or model numbers or?? on it and I have NO idea what it is, as far as what brand or make or?? I know its been sitting where it is in these pictures now for about 20+ yrs I have NO idea IF it ran when it was parked there, or not? I will be removing it on Monday, and NOT sure if its something to take to the scrap yard, or try and get running? as I have NO idea what its possible value is, both as is, or IF it was to get running?? SO< can anyone shed any light on what brand, make/model it might be and then any possible values??
I wouldn't scrap it that thing is awesome! LOL The enging looks like a Chrysler industrial to me?
I'd sure be interested in what's under that panel in the last pic. And if you can read anything off of the big tag on that panel or either of the tags on the sides. Use the non chlorinated brake cleaner and a rag or toothbrush to scrub the paint off if it has stamped writing underneath. My guess is a welder generator. Originally a skid, but somebody tacked on a tongue and hitch. If you take it to the scrap yard you'd be lucky to get $100 as is, strip the copper out for little more if you feel like it. Could probably sell it for $300 as is, closer to $1,000 running and welding with tires holding air. Edit: sure looks like a Hobart, but I don't see any pictures that long, most are 4 cylinder Willeys with the generator stack sticking out the end.
thanks guys for the feedback/suggestions I got this thing and a bunch of other farm tools at an estate closing last Friday I now have 30 days to remove all the items I bought, this being one I THINK there is a about 30+ tire.wheels there, so I THINK I can get new tires well tires and wheels that hold air under it, so that's an easy fix I HOPE its been stored under a roof for the past 20+ yrs that I have been a part of this farm(kinda managed it, and actually had HOPED to buy the whole farm and leave it where it is??) But I now have to remove it, and again a LOT of other things SO, I doubt I am going to get to rebuilding it or getting it running any time soon Monday I will be at the farm and will be either moving this, or can at least try and get better pictures and look for the name tags/numbers and such as you suggested Once I get that, IF any of you's have any interest in it, I guess I would be willing to sell it, BUt I doubt due to distance, you's would want it LOL SO< odds are it will end up getting stuck some where else and sitting for a long time, unless I figure out what it is, and its an easy fix to get up and running, but time will be tight for working on it, as I have a lot of more important projects to do, and will be again getting about 50+ items in the next 30 days BUT if you's don't mind, once I get better info and pic's\ to be able to help me get a better idea on what it is and its value based on maybe a model or?? again would be very greatful
Those look like standard 14.5" mobile home wheels so it should be easy to find replacements that hold air. I'm sure we can figure out what it is, one search turned up dozens of photos of units with that same style sheet metal, cap and lifting eye. They were all shorter 4 cyl Hobarts with the generator end sticking out though, none quite like this. Smokstak is a great place to go for generator wisdom, not sure how many old Hobart experts there are over there, but they're amazing in what they know and will dig up. Value depends on who's bidding. There's a huge range of what old stuff sells for...Sorry, I'm not interested in a drive at the moment, otherwise I'd be looking at it in person.
Sure looks like Hobart. I have seen some advertised with a straight 6 engine, IIRC 400 amp units.
I was thinking the same thing......by the age of it I will also wager the genset is DC only. FWIW, those old flathead Chryslers are an excellent engine. Ed
Delmer, thanks I did join on smokestack a about a yr ago or so, when I bought this thing, and I did get a little idea's but not many as no one seemed to know what it was? and or value really I was going to try and get some better pictures and then move it when I placed a tread there, but then got busy, and then , the farm ended up in a law suit/settlement, which just ended last Friday so, it got all put on hold, as I couldnt;' do anything with it, even though it was mine?, I had to stay off farm for over a yr more or less till things got settled Starting Monday I will have access again to farm and can finally get better pic's and such, and well, also have to remove it from the farm s well I hate seeing things like this go to waste, and also, it sucks to me that even as is, it at least sat under a roof, something that once I remove it, I won't have room to place it under a roof again, so its going to end up under a tarp, or out in the weather SO< am trying to NOW get more info, so I can tell someone what it is, and maybe sell it or??, so it doesn't get any worse from rain on.getting in it? Last time I drive through WI, I hit a darn deer with my truck at 70 mph, SO< I too, don't have any plans of heading your way or would deliver if I could LOL as I used to run out that way pretty often, a few times a tyr any ways, but haven't had to since I lost my job a few yrs back now!
I don't I would junk it quite yet. If it is a 400 amp Hobart that runs, you will be able to get some great welds out of it, especially if you need to rebuild a bucket or undercarriage.
I'll agree on the Chrysler Industrial, looks just like the engine in the old Yale fork truck where I worked. Would have to do some digging but believe I rebuilt that one around 30 years ago. Only problem it has these days is an exhaust manifold gasket at the rear of the manifold, been like that for a couple years! Bosses keep saying the 1955 Yale is going to be replaced this year, been hearing that "story" for the last 10 or more years!
thanks again guys, what I will do, again is come Monday, I will get as many good pictures I can get and post some more for you's to look over I will also try my best to get some numbers off what ever I can find on it,. so you's can maybe , get me better idea's on what it really is. I don;t own anything with thick metal for a need for a welder of this size IF its one and works , and to be honest have a buddy that has BIG welding gear, and if I ever really needed something like that, I would maybe just have him do it, as I am NOT the best welder i=out there, so, for a case of beer I can get him to do a lot of work , as long as I am NOT in a hurry LOL Heck, maybe he might even want this thing, BUT he has all new er things that work great so?? scrapping it will be the last thing I want to do, but if it ends up sitting in a field getting worse, its an option I don't want, but?? personally MUCH rather see it find a home where someone will want it SO< once I know what it is I can ask about with more ability to tell folks what it is, to try and find it a good home then? gets tricky trying to sell or explain what your trying to sell or?? ?? when even you don't know what it is LOL SO thanks again, and will get more pic's either Monday or Tuesday, morning pending how long I am at the form Monday!
OK so here are some updated info and pic's seems my eye's must have been bad the day I was looking it over last time<< As I found a name tag on the rt side of motor and can even ONCE out of the shade of garage, see it said name of maker on faded print on outside cover ITS a Hobart welder, cannot see a model number on the tag, think its too faded or?? again MY eye's ain't the best! IT might be a model # GR 315, , and this is MAYBE< as don't see it listing MODEL on tag, so?? and says serial number is DW68026, IF that helps anyone tell me more about it?? any info would be great to have BUt info I got on it, or maybe I should say the story I got , was/is , is it RAN when parked, many moons ago, owner got a bigger one on tank tracks he liked better and parked this one, then , he got OLD< and sold tracked one and this one just sat I been on this farm since late 90's and it was parked before I got there? SO< anyone have any better idea of value in an AS is state and then IF it was to run?? here are some new pic's
a few more pic's ITS NOW In a field, out from under the roof it lived on unless I can find a home, did cover it with a tarp, but no longer under a real roof! and the one tire came off the wheel while moving it, SO< needs two new tires and one new wheel, as wheel got damaged when it came off and was tow a little across some rough ground to get to a trailer?
300 Amp Hobart, sweet... dunno if she'd ever make music again, but what a treat to see. Can you make out what it says on the engine plate there under the manifolds?
will be there tomorrow , and try and see what it says, and get a pic or two of it Love to find it a better home too, as I have a crap load of things now , on a farm I need to remove and find homes for??, finally after 17 months of legal crap, got access to all my things on a farm I managed, and HAD plans to buy, but after owner died unexpectedly,. I lost my chance to buy, due to a greedy family member! SO< now after 15+ yrs of stocvk piling my things there, need to remove all by end of month?? so, a busy bee I am next few weeks , hauling things all over, trying to find homes with roofs for the better items at least, and selling a bunch I don't have good places for???
I bought a 200A Hobart with a Willys Hurricane F head engine when I was around 12, I learned to weld with it and learned a few things keeping it running as well! Good times That definitely looks like a Chrysler engine judging by the oil filter setup. Cool find!:cool2
I am pretty sure its a chrysler motor too, had a guy stop buy to help with with something else and he looked at it,s aid he greew up using welders like that, and IF he didn't have about 4-5 of like old one's now , he would buy it off me in a heart beat, BUT no place to put it he said>> SO< I have some Idea now what it is BUT sicne my settlement just happened like a few days back, I now have about 100+ thinsg to move , and then find homes for, as I had a LOT of my things on a farm I had plans to buy(was a rent to won deal that went south) SO< now have to remove it all SO< going to TRY and sell this thing SO as it DID run when it was parked last? thanks guys for all the help and time and info, its very much appreciated and its located at zip code 18222 for now, MIGHT soon be at 18220, but there only a few miles apart LOL
A traditional but powerful gen set design. seems like long history hidden behind its design and manufacturing.
just a follow up here, I forgot to add But I did sell this welder back in early Sept(sorry late replying here) and the guy has it up and running sold it for $250.00, and he was super happy to get it he told me, AFTER he paid me , he said he would have paid more if I asked LOL But I didn't care, was a nice guy, and he planned to make it run again, so a win win to me But it did sell and it does work NOT all sure what he had to do to get her running again, but when I talked to him last he said, he has been using it about once a week also told me he had to tell his wife he had it for yrs and just started using it, as she limits what he can add to his collection of THINGS LOL
It's a part of game i guess, and you can not run from it while running a business. may be survival of the fittest.
can someone give me a good manufacturer in Delhi?
Someone suggested me BLA Etech as the quality industrial manufacturer in Delhi. Kindly give some feedback.