I put a new hydraulic pump in my 580K. Everything went well, until I was reinstalling the lines to the oil cooler, and one of the lines started to cross thread. Is it possible to repair the damaged threads on the fitting with a rethreading die? Or can the old fitting be removed, and a new one be rebrazed on? Thanks. John.
depending on how bad it is I would say yes .the JIC fittings are based on the unified national fine thread base (UNF) and is a common thread type for bolts and nuts Mark
Might be able to chase them with a thread file or triangle needle file can probably be saved with some patience
Thanks. I found out that its a 7/8-14 NF/UNF. The rethreading die will be here tomorrow. Ill give it a shot.
I was able to fix the damaged threads on the oil cooler. Thanks everyone for the help.
While we're talking about JIC fittings. Does any one know that Cat and maybe some one else makes "gaskets" to salvage damaged fittings? They a thin copper cone shaped things that slip over the tapered end of the fitting and will compress and seal them if there is some small nicks in the sealing area of the fittings. Yes most fittings are best to be replaced with new but in a pinch when an odd or difficult to replace fitting is seeping they can be a life saver. If there is any interest I could do some digging and see if I still have the information with the sizes and part numbers.
These are the best: http://www.flaretite.com/flaretite.php How was the cruise kshansen?