Anyone care to explain exactly how I can air up trailer brakes with shop air? I am wondering if I can buy a glad hand, hook my shop air line to it and release the brakes. I don't have a semi available and want to spin dayton type wheel to tighten lug wedges and true wheel. Do I have to use 2 glad hands (service and emergency) or just one.
Hook up to the red (emergency)one. If your shop air is over 135 psi, you're going to want to regulate it, or have a valve and shut it off when the brakes are released.
Thanks shimmy! Only 125 psi.
You should be good to go. My adapters have valves so I can just shut the air off when I have enough, and uncouple the hose so I can use it somewhere else.
Ahem... make sure you block some wheels *before* you air it up? LOL. On the old emergency air trailers you had to air them up before you backed under them if you didn't want to chase them a ways.
Ah, the good old trailer-chasing syndrome.....
LOL, back when the trailers all had emergency air systems, and all the trucks had auxiliaries, when you heard the driver jamming the brownie upshifting in reverse you stuck your head out the door to see if he got the pin hooked before he ran out of gravel lot and hit the ditch, LOL. Good times! Of course I never did that... after the first time :tong
I guess we all learned that one. It was a bugger with the pole trailer when it got knocked off the stand. Lucky the log loader was fairly close.
I plumbed a 1/4turn ball valve directly in to one of the tanks on an old KW that I have. I put the male air fitting on it. just hook up the hose and open valve. plus you can makeup a hose to plug into it for air out in the field. No need to block wheels the parking brakes stay set. until you push the knob in. Been using it since 1993. Ha. I missed the part about being a trailer. disregard last transmission.
What's funny is the old emergency air trailers when you aired them up the brakes would set under air pressure... maxis are just the opposite. Kinda like cows i suppose, best to have a glance underneath, see what you've got before milking...
Hey, don't forget your safety glasses, leather gloves, and steel toes! SMH
Interesting .....