Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Can I haul a Cat 306 in a 16×8′ 21k dump trailer?

rustycanuck81 ยท 2025-03-06 22:45

Just wondering if anyone has ever done it?

Replies16
  1. #1DM&RDBulldog2025-03-07 14:10

    Not that exact machine but a similar one in lenght and there is not enough space to fold the machine up and balance it for safe travels.

  2. #2rustycanuck812025-03-07 18:57

    I'm wondering if anyone has, just picked the boom up a bit so the stick is over the front and chained it all down so it can't drop

  3. #3MG842025-03-07 19:18

    What are you planning on towing it with? Is the dump trailer gooseneck or pintle hitch?

  4. #4rustycanuck812025-03-07 19:26

    Not sure on the trailer yet, trying to see if it's feasible or not. Pulling with new GMC 2500 at4 duramax

  5. #5MG842025-03-07 19:40

    That much weight, especially in a short trailer, is a death sentence behind a 3/4 ton truck, I don't care what the mfg tow rating is. That is a load for a class 6-7 medium duty truck and pintle hitch trailer, not a pickup.

  6. #6DM&RDBulldog2025-03-07 20:15

    From the info you've shared im going to advise against this. The machine is too big dimension wise for the trailer and total gross weight is more than a 2500 should be towing especially when the load cant be balanced and is going to end up tongue or tail heavy. Not to mention you're also going to be on the edge of your trailer payload if not over.

  7. #7KSSS2025-03-07 20:54

    If you had a gooseneck 24k dump trailer, and it would fit, and you would need a 3500 DRW ideally. Then maybe. Those 306's are heavy. Pulling a tag trailer with that kind of weight in it, even if physically could fit, would be way over the GVW of any tag dump trailer I am aware of. You would also be over the recommended tag trailer weight for a GM 2500 which I think is 18K.

  8. #8John V2025-03-07 21:05

    2500 max gooseneck rating is about 18500#. Not going to be able to do it legally, and it would be very uncomfortable doing it illegally.

  9. #9CM19952025-03-07 21:09

    Hell no! A SRW 3/4 ton truck has no business pulling a trailer with a 306 behind it.

  10. #10KSSS2025-03-07 22:10

    It is actually 22K with a gooseneck and a crew cab 2500, this is a 2025 model. But the numbers have not changed much since 2020

  11. #11rustycanuck812025-03-07 22:52

    So better to get a longer tri axle equipment hauler and a pintle hitch...

  12. #12MG842025-03-08 08:35

    Tandem axle deckover equipment trailer and a class 6 truck. You aren't legally going to be able to haul a 306 without a class A CDL. For reference this Kubota U48-5 is a 11,500lb machine, the 306 is considerably larger and weighs 16,000lbs. IH 4700 with air brakes + 22K pintle hitch trailer, this is about the minimum to haul what you want legally and safely:

  13. #13rustycanuck812025-03-08 08:48

    Thanks. Might just go with a 305.5 at 11.9k lbs then and know I'm good.

  14. #14MG842025-03-08 09:14

    Something in the 10-11K lb range is the absolute max I'd tow with a srw truck. On rare occasions I tow that U48 on my 15K equipment trailer behind my 2019 F250. The truck and trailer are rated for the weight but you must drive with an abundance of caution. It also isn't doing the truck or trailer any favors longevity wise, certainly not something I'd like to do on a weekly or even monthly basis.

  15. #15CM19952025-03-08 09:52

    No you get a bigger truck or a smaller machine. I have an '18 305E that I pull on a tilt trailer behind my '22 350 SRW and it's the max the truck needs. The truck has all the power in the world it's the stopping.. The trailer needs brakes on both axles and be in good working condition.

  16. #16DDoug2025-03-08 10:16

    This ^^^ And remember the only thing running those trailer brakes is a single piece of 12 ga wire.....