Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Can I lift the bucket on my 977l with the hook on the orops

James Phelps ยท 2018-10-14 20:33

1976 977l with general purpose bucket and my starter is spinning but not engaging or disengaging. I have limited resources and I am wondering if I can raise the bucket by using a chain hoist anchored to the loop on top of the canopy. The starter is barely touching the flywheel , it has happened before and I got away with it by switching the disconnect on and off a couple of times. I banged on the starter but it still won't retract. Any input is appreciated.

Replies8
  1. #1Bluox2018-10-14 21:05

    Roll the engine over a bit and see if the starter will engage ,, if it starts lift bucket and engage safety stops. Good luck Bob

  2. #2bam19682018-10-14 21:48

    I don't recall seeing a loop on the OROPS but I can't imagine anything up there that would be heavy enough lift the bucket esp at that angle. Even if you were able to lift it I sure wouldn't want to stick my head in there to work on it while suspended with a chain hoist. I know working around those loader arms is a real pain in the ***. I would try what Bluox said and if that doesn't work I would probably drop the belly pan and go in from the bottom.

  3. #3Ronsii2018-10-14 23:32

    What about a hydraulic jack under the bucket(dig a hole) then inch it up with a lot of blocking, might take a while but would be a lot safer than something that 'might work'

  4. #4Welder Dave2018-10-15 00:42

    The ROPS is likely designed for 1 1/2 times the weight of the machine if it's designed the same way a D10 ROPS is designed. I think using a chain hoist or come-a-long could work, possibly with the assistance of a jack as long as you blocked the bucket up in stages. Wrap a lifting sling around the ROPS if you have to. Having a helper would be a great asset. Pull the loader lift control when hoisting the lift arms and put it back in neutral when doing the blocking. I'd guess you only need to get the arms up about half way. I have a 931B which is much smaller, and especially hard to get at, but I had the same problem when the starter went on the fritz. When I had to pull the engine out because of no oil pressure, I took the bucket off and used my skid steer to lift the loader arms. If it's possible to get the bucket off would make it a lot easier.

  5. #5bam19682018-10-15 13:21

    I guess I was referring to the 'loop' on the ROPS when I said I couldn't picture one being heavy enough to lift the loader. Although I do agree with Ronsaii and Welder Dave that blocking and jacking with some help of a chain hoist would work as well. I know it can suck to do it in the field but I still think dropping the belly pan would be the way I would go.

  6. #6Welder Dave2018-10-15 22:44

    Might not be able to get at it from the belly pan, especially if you have to take it out.

  7. #7Bluox2018-10-16 10:34

    The starter can be removed from below but it is usually taken out from above. In fact you don't have to raise the bucket but if you take the rod end pin out and lower lift cylinder you can get the starter out, it's almost as big a fight as with the bucket up. Good luck Bob

  8. #8bunkclimber2018-11-07 11:06

    I have a 1970 11K 977 and have done the starter replacement job from above(outside,in February,no less)-with the loader arms down..not easy,but you can do it. The loops on the ROPS are for lifting the ROPS off the machine only,not intended for side loading to extreme levels like raising the h-frame with a straight on attack angle..Get a forklift or another loader to assist. You could do it with a jack and blocks/cribbing..it might take a while.If you HAVE to use the ROPS for a winch point,as said before,go all the way around the ROPS with a strap,and make sure the strap or chain is good for at least 15Klbs capacity in a basket configuration..best of luck,be safe