Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Can I pull a RD7 to see if the big motor is stuck

Doug Briggs · 2024-02-19 15:27

My RD7 has a stuck pony motor, which I will remove and repair, can I pull it or how else can I see if the big motor turns it has a front mount hyd pump

Replies11
  1. #156wrench2024-02-20 10:56

    Can you reach in and grab a fan blade and attemp to turn it if the fan belt is tight enough?

  2. #2Dave Neubert2024-02-20 14:44

    If you got something that will pull it you can put the transmission in a high gear and release the clutch then engage the clutch once rolling

  3. #3Doug Briggs2024-02-20 15:10

    If I pull it do I have to worry about hurting anything in the injection system ?

  4. #4Nige2024-02-20 15:15

    If you have something big enough you can probably even start it by towing.

  5. #5epirbalex2024-02-20 15:51

    This one started on the run down the little hill after being parked there for years last week . Few hours were spent preparing for the Great Run Down .

  6. #6Dave Neubert2024-02-20 17:10

    no you should be ok just feather the clutch to see if motor spins

  7. #7Doug Briggs2024-03-07 14:42

    How do I get the 2 bolts out that hold the pony motor clutch housing to the diesel block when I don't have a top cover on the clutch housing and I can't get a socket in past the starting motor clutch ?

  8. #8Old Magnet2024-03-07 17:04

    That's strange, the early clutch housings had the three top bolts exposed, the later ones had two bolts accessible by removing the cover, third bolt is exposed.

  9. #9Doug Briggs2024-03-07 17:25

    ok mine has 3 exposed I have removed 13 from the pony to the block and 2 on the drive housing end and it still doesn't want to come off I haven't pried very hard for fear of hurting something maybe I need to get a little rougher

  10. #10Old Magnet2024-03-07 18:29

    Make sure you get all the bolts... Takes some juggling to clear the flywheel

  11. #11Doug Briggs2024-06-03 11:12

    Got my pony motor freed up, where would I find rings and gaskets ?