I have a mid 80s excavator. Engine blown on top of a mountain. 2 questions 1) can I tow it with my JD450 down to where I can work on it? 2) if the answer is yes should I remove the track drive chains (would leaving them on damage the drive motors or main hydrau pump?) I'm a gold miner not a mechanic so I need to ask the experts. I'm just a Dutch digger Thanks!
A 450 is a little light for a 690. You best be really sure of the path you are taking and the brakes and equipment on that little dozer. The 690A is 36000 pounds and that is 2.5 times the dozer weight. If it got away that would be worse than a bad day, it could take you over the bank. It's not like a pull can where you can drop the can down. It won't move unless you pull the chains or release the brakes somehow. After that nothing is stopping it on a steep slope. Is this what you have? link below. 690A
I assume you are talking about a Deere 690C. See screenshot below from the 690C operators manual. .
his is probably an A from the mid 80's? He was talking about drive chains.
Yea based on all this I think I'll just replace the engine where it's at. Thanks tons
Yea I think mid 80s
Probably the safest bet. I'd want to have as much weight as it is to tow it loose like that, when you describe it as a "mountain top" Ideally you'd have two rigs, one pulling and the other tailing when you got to the downhills.
It's not super steep and no where to go off a cliff but it's super fine silty road and can be slicker than ice after frosts.. And we are getting them most nights Dave
We are in very steep mountainous terrain with cliffs and huge drop offs so can relate to your situation. I sure wouldn’t want to try moving that 690 with a small dozer! The mountains tend to be very “unforgiving” Is it possible to built a level working area (big enough for a service truck) adjacent to the Excavator? If really muddy/greasy then spread tailings? I can usually do all my own repairs/welding etc on site; but in the past when a large repair was needed we found an excellent old school local mechanic with a 4x4 1 ton Dodge service truck. A typical service truck would have never been able to make it into the site….
Might have to walk in another little hoe and pull it, and get it down off the mountain however possible. The crane trucks are usually such heavy pigs that they would have a hard time with that silt grease.