Thank you
1970, 22267 - 24825
Thank you very much
FYI that would be about equivalent to the UK 68A 2000 series tractors
Good morning. Feel kind of stupid, but I just re looked at the picture of the serial number. It's 28559. Thank you
Still Antique
I'm going to guess like you. Thanks for the helpful info.
1972, 27320 - 29880
Thank you again. I really appreciate it
And would anyone in their right mind spend almost new cost for a 53 year old dozer say back in the 70's? Like $40,000. that it seems everyone wants now. I bet not.
I think a lot of people are wanting to go back to simplicity. As well as if you're not a really huge road contractor, just can't afford the new stuff. This tractor I'm looking at is a really nice x counting machine. All the track guards are on it, etc. They kept up on it well. I can get it for 25k.
And if its not just for a hobby or ? It can also be a very expensive mistake in some cases, 20 years ago I saw many that were used and abused and needed very expensive repairs. I know about every area on them that can have huge issues. I would hate to spend the same money they wanted for them 20 years ago and have to come up with the many thousands of $ that it could need to fix it, as well as the parts issues with them since Cat no longer makes the parts for them, maybe gaskets and seals and a few other things. If your not a machinist the special tools could be an issue as well.
This is true. The only thing that really scares me are final drives. It does have documented work on the final drives from Caterpillar. And they do not leak at all which is the first good sign. I have been through all of the areas on them. And yes you are correct, it can get expensive very fast. I guess sometimes you got to gamble! This would be something we would not use daily by any means. So we certainly couldn't justify buying a newer high drive to sit at the pit.
You can remove the final fill plugs to see if they're overfull. Denotes failed duocone seals. After that, you can pull the filters and look for gear or pump material in them.
Yes good advice. I've had several order cats with final drives filled by leaking through the pinions
Matt R….I’ve ran several D8H/K’s over the years as profitable alternatives to D8R/T tractors that are used on an as and when basis.Some of my D8’s have spent up to 10 years in pits sometimes only clocking up 5/600 hours a year.You can make money out of them with abit of luck on your side. However,I’d recommend you perhaps buy a couple of them if you’ve got abit of work for them. Running two old D8H’s can be a headache,but only running one on a job is a nightmare
I really don't have a ton lined up. I would use it at my own gravel pits mostly. And then I would keep my eyes out for a few possible jobs for it. But it would be a tractor that is affordable and won't kill you if it sits. I've had a few H and Ks before. Sold them quite a few years back
Hi Matt, when you get it back and running get a couple of pictures and put up here please mate, if you get the chance. Cheers
Will do. Not 100% sure I'm going to buy it yet. If I do it'll be this spring.
I looked at a D8H a few months ago... wanted 40 for it... dont know what he got for it.... but it sold right after I looked at it. I thought it was to high... especially after it warmed up and it wouldnt turn right anymore.
Yeah crazy nut prices for old junk, no new parts, service etc. That would be like paying 40K for a 2U back in 1990 or so. In some places don't old machines need a repower to be compliant?
Difference is though a 48A is a huge production capability leap forward over a 2U. While a D8T there is not that massive a production leap over a 48A. Yes I know the 8T is faster and better and easier to operate, repair etc and so on. The 8T is also probably a million dollars to buy.
Coming from a county it was probably well looked after. The county I'm in had a couple late 60's direct drive D8H's and scrapers they pulled all their life. No blades installed. They used one to improve the road to my property. Undercarriage was like new and it ran great. I think the pony motor needed some work though. Would only run on 1 speed if I recall. Cat dealer would only give $10K trade in for tractor and scraper complete so they kept them. They were sold at auction several years ago but don't know what they brought. The undercarriage on the one I saw was easily worth 10K. I'm guessing it was replaced years ago and they didn't have many more roads to build. They also had a 627 scraper from about 1970 that ran pretty good. In their yard was a D4D but I don't know much about it. I do know they took good care of their machined though.
48A ? Wasn't that a D7? 46A is D8H I missed a D9H kept is good condition (likely a dealer rebuild some year ago) that went for 25K, over a year ago.