I'm looking at one near me at a road commission auction. Someone ran it hot and it has engine issues. The finals have been documented to be rebuilt and have no leaks. The rest of the machine was in good operating order but it has been sitting for many years. I have a 7e that is in really nice shape but needs dead shafts and some other components for the final drives on both sides. I'm thinking I can get this machine for scrap price. Somewhere between 3 and 4,000. My thoughts are to strip the finals out of it for the parts I need, and sell the rest for scrap. But I would like to confirm for the dead shafts and other components are the same before I purchase. Nige or someone else if you can help me that would be great. Thank you
Can you "decode" the information in the thread title.? It appears as though auto-correct has changed some of the words........ Either way I can't understand it.
I'm trying to figure out how to edit it right now. I can't find the edit button
I'm trying to figure out how to edit it right now.
Doesn't look like I can edit the title. I was wondering if the final drive components are the same between those two serial numbers. I will need the dead shafts and all of the hardware out on the end where it attaches to the track frame
48a12653 and 48a 9167
I'll take a look but meantime here is a question for you. Which machine is in better shape overall, yours or the auction machine.? Would it be better to install your engine into the auction machine rather than pulling track frames and disassembling finals.? Pulling dead shafts is a challenge in itself. There is no information online regarding the 48A machine. All I can tell you is that 48A9167 & 12653 are both in the same Parts Manual that covers all machine S/N from 48A 6393-Up
Mine is in by far better shape. The other one I think saw more salt than mine. Whether pushing it or just being transferred on the highway. Up here a lot of salt is used as deicer. So the other one, pretty much every bolt looks like a nightmare. But I'm just after the finals. My machine is in very nice shape
Well I can add anything apart from what I posted above regarding the two machines both using the same Parts Manual. Maybe someone like @Old Magnet has access to more information.?
There is a major shift in parts @ s/n 48A12569-up. Dead axles are the same, outer cases are the same, big 52 tooth gear is the same but pinion gears change. Hubs are different but whole assembly may interchange, that I don't know for sure. Best to get the 48A6393-up parts book and compare.
This is the one you need. I can see a couple of paper versions on eBay but they are asking MORE than new price, over $200. A download from Cat Publications is $124. Even a brand new paper copy is only $146.
Hope the donor parts will work or the assemblies can be swapped. It would suck to find a good parts machine but the parts are not suitable for your serial number.
For sure. And I don't have a lot of time. The bidding is today at 1:00
Again sorry about that jumbled up title everybody. It won't allow me to change it. The bidding is today on that machine at 1:00. I'm not going to bid much more than scrap price. As long as the dead shafts are the same and a few other components like the outer track frame bearing I guess I'm good
Old magnet, I only have to 1:00 today. Can you tell me by chance if the outer track frame bearing assembly is the same as well? I need dead shafts and the outer track frame bearing assemblies mostly
Yes, outer track frame bearing assembly is the same.