Spent all week getting the 1/4 mile flat track dried out and groomed for Sat. because 15-20 guys were coming out with micro sprint cars and mini stock cars. Had a mechanic friend come out to install new fuel pumps in the water truck. Got it running great on Thu. Built up the road leading to the flat track and it was in pretty good shape. Spent a couple hours with the land plane on Fri. smoothing the track and then proceeded to put 3 loads of water on the track to let it soak in overnight. Forecast called for a 60% chance of 2-4mm. No big deal. Showed up Sat. about 9:40 and was horrified. Texted one of the guys organizing it and said it's super wet. They were coming between 10:30 and 11:00. He said they were on the way and can get rid of a lot water. A lot of water is an understatement. Trying to dry it for Sun. wasn't really an option with more rain forecast late in the afternoon. The track was almost perfect when I left Fri. about 9:30. The lead guy in the group was stopped on the driveway and it was slimy to walk on the new road. They discussed it a bit and decided to head out. I feel bad that they drove out and it was too wet. I'm about an hour away and didn't get nearly as much rain. While I was on the county road talking with one of the guys as they were leaving the guy in the lead truck put it in 4 wheel drive and drove down the new road and turned around to come back out. I had it sloped for drainage but it was just saturated. Now it is a total mess with ruts that will hold water. Didn't want to say anything but I don't understand why he couldn't have waited for me to move my truck so he could drive ahead and back just the trailer into the new road to get turned around? Only would have messed up about 30' of the new road at the highest end. I think they missed some zero's in the forecast. Talked to a neighbor and he said it just poured for about an hour around midnight with lots of thunder and lightning. I'm doing basically everything by myself and just wondering if it's worth all the hassle. Beyond frustrating! What do you do or say in a case like this.
A lot of people are just looking for an excuse to use 4x4. I have had exactly that experience several times, makes you want to kick them squarely in the ...
I agree, it's like guys that figure they can go anywhere in the winter. Lots of equipment and/or vehicles to pull him out but that would have made an even bigger mess. I don't know if he figured it was the easiest way to turn around or wasn't happy I couldn't let them know sooner the track was too wet. These guys are trying the track out because they might be interested in making it their home track. If it would have been just some random guy I think I would have said something. They did have about an hour notice where they could have changed plans before driving all the way out.
Lull's on a jobsite... Don't even get me started.
Sounds like the road out here, perfectly hard with some ruts that move as each rain season hits never getting deeper. Come a new neighbor who decides to plow it before rain storm, not once but several times and never packing it down. Now my jacked up Subaru even with 2.5" lift and larger tires bottoms out in areas and we have parts of the road washing out. Might not lost money/customers like you which I understand your frustration, but we are losing out road all the way now. He asked what about winter and told me I put my fence to close to the road he might damage with his tractor plowing snow. Not my fault of where the road and easements go, need to move the road where it's designated to go. Thankfully he doesn't live out here only got to deal with his BS once a weekend, but I think the new toy/house lust is wearing off he isn't coming out on Thursdays anymore for the weekend and he has skipped a couple weekends. He won't last long hopefully.
Probably a mistake to get me started on the subject of idiots with driver's licenses. The a holes who only drive in the center of a private road: They wear sags in the wheel tracks that collect water. Water makes puddles that evolve into potholes. A 15' wide road raised above the ditches will last a long time if you drive with two wheels in the center. This places the other two wheels at the edge of the road where no groove will form. Idiots who brag "I spun all the way up the hill, but made it in two wheel drive! Idiots who floor the accelerator on the way up the hill making washboards. And my biggest bitch of all: Sons who pull half into a parking space, leaving half their vehicle blocking traffic. My driveway includes a75' diameter space in front of a four bay garage. between trees are 8 spaces big enough for 10 wheelers with trailers. Two sons, three of their buddies all do it. Andy, one of the extra sons with a big duallie pickup just parks like he's the only one who will ever use the driveway, dead center. I gave him Hell once about it. He responded: "Have you ever been satisfied where anybody parked?" "No, nobody has ever parked in a parking space!"