Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

can you do any real work case 850k series 2

wolf911 ยท 2015-06-08 20:17

I have to put in about 400 Ft of road, bury a couple of rock piles, put culvert in, shave down a hill to get dirt to build up road, level a spot to build house and garage, and bury an old mobile trailer 14 x 60(not for me but my brother). I have maybe a 1000 hours running a D6N building roads (rough and finish)on the pipeline a few yrs ago. My question is can this type of work be done with a case 850k 2007 dozer as this is not far from the property and I have to rent. I know I could do it easily with a D6 but I really don't know about this Case 850k since I have no real world experience with this machine. Of coarse the guy renting it says it can do it but I rather hear from people who have worked with this machine. If I have to I can probably get a D6 from farther away. Thanks for any input. It looks like this Forum is more geared towards the hardware of dozers but if you own one or work on your own machines I'm certain someone has some good advice.

Replies12
  1. #1Scrub Puller2015-06-08 21:50

    Yair . . . wolf911 Mate that is one of those how long is a piece of string questions, I have no doubt the Case will do it, but the six would do it quicker . . . if you knew what you were doing on the Case you might outwork a newbie on the six. Cheers.

  2. #2td25c2015-06-08 22:39

    No experience with one but the Case 850K looks like a capable machine in the rite hands . http://www.machinerytrader.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=10398391

  3. #3sheepfoot2015-06-08 22:56

    The 850 will do it, just takes a little longer, and planning to make every pass count.

  4. #4Garrie Denny2015-06-09 01:02

    Scrub. the length of any piece of string is easy. Its the distance between both end when pulled taught in a straight line:drinkup

  5. #5Shimmy12015-06-09 02:32

    Scrub always has valuable insight. A few years ago I was outworking a guy on a D51 with a D39. I emphasize WAS until the boss man watched for a while and proceeded to switch us. Having ran an 1150C for a great many hours, I would place an 850K very close to a 5M/N. My 2 cents worth.

  6. #6LT-x72015-06-09 11:51

    On paper a 850k compares much closer to a D5k. The 5M/N's are about 5,000 pounds heavier I believe.... I have no doubt the 850k will do what you are asking of it, but some of the tasks you mention doesn't sound like a dozer is the ideal machine. Digging holes for rocks, trailers and culverts sounds like hoe work to me. I completely understand using what you have to complete a job, but if you have to rent anyway you might consider renting more than one machine. You may also need a machine to compact while constructing the road and pad for the house and garage. No idea about your part of the county, but around here something like this would need to pass a compaction test before the inspector will sign it off.

  7. #7wolf9112015-06-09 13:18

    Thanks for the inputs. Found a d6n not much further away. Figured the cost with delivery and machine and the difference is $52 hr for the case and 74 hr for the cat. Yea a hoe might be better for burying but ill have to use what I have rented to get it done. No inspections around here. **** can't even get these guys to call you back unless your building a shopping mall. Only one thing yet can I get my insurance to cover the liability insurance the rental place wants. Anyone ever do that?

  8. #8ih1002015-06-09 13:36

    Couldn't help chuckling at the first reply quoting you, Scrub. I should have guessed no-one would reply and admit to having been the guy who was out worked.

  9. #9LT-x72015-06-09 14:12

    Are you talking about a home owners insurance policy, or a commercial liability policy, or something else entirely?

  10. #10wolf9112015-06-09 15:05

    the rental guy said ask home insurance guy about it. have called yet. if they don't do it who would cover something like that

  11. #11LT-x72015-06-09 15:15

    I have no clue if home owners ins offers coverage on something like this. The renal companies I deal with want to see a 1 million dollar general liability policy, for the larger pieces of equipment.

  12. #12mowingman2015-06-09 17:30

    Most rental companies offer insurance at extra cost, in the form of a "Loss/Damage Waiver". In fact the rental companies I get large equipment from, require either proof of insurance, or, you must pay them additional for the waiver.