Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Can you swap sides on PTO output on 5speed Clarke transmission in GMC truck?

69zfarmer ยท 2009-11-29 11:04

I bought another parts truck yesterday for the transmission it is the same year 1987 and series GMC7000 as my dump truck and i am praying it is good.The first problem is the PTO it comes out of the right side of the trans. i need it on the left side.Can they be reversed?If not maybe i can use my old one.Did they use the same size disc brakes and calipers on all 1987 GMC 7000's?My dump truck is rated for alot more GVWR than the parts truck.My dump truck rearend is alot bigger than parts truck.

Replies3
  1. #1td25c2009-11-29 19:27

    Hi,69zfarmer.You should be able to mount the pto on the left side if both trannys are the same.I would advise using the pto off the original 5 speed just because pto's come in differant gear ratios and the pto from the parts truck may turn faster or slower or it may be the same speed.When installing a pto pay close attention to the "backlash" in the gears after you tourque it down on the tranny,always want a little play between the pto gear & tranny gear.Some set up easy with two or three gaskets to shim it and some need a steel spacer plate to make it work.I dont like to stack gaskets very thick on a pto as they wont stay tight on the tranny and use "locktite" on the studs and the metal fold over type retainers under the nuts.

  2. #269zfarmer2009-11-30 18:36

    Thanks 25c,when i get PTO mounted on trans.and put PTO in gear i should be able to feel a little slack on the PTO output shaft when i turn it back and forth with my fingers.Is this correct?

  3. #3td25c2009-11-30 19:32

    Yep ,thats the idea 69zfarmer.some pto's you can remove the shifter cover on the pto and reach in and feel the pto gear that contacts the tranny gear.The last one I set up was on one of my winch trucks and it was a real "humm dinger" to set up.It was a tulsa 2 speed reversing pto so it had counershafts & reverse idlers in it .Point being it had some play in it going though all its gears and no inspection cover.I ended up using a dial indicater to measure the play in the pto itself then I measured it again after I got it installed to make sure I had some play pto drive gear & the tranny gear.