Not super log related, but..... I know we have a lot of Canadian and PWN members floating around and may deal with this time to time. Curious if anybody on here has dealt with bringing a heavy duty on-road truck from Canada into the US, or more specifically sourcing a replacement US EPA Label if one is missing? Truck is a 1997, nothing crazy, has a plain jane C12 Cat in it but no EPA Label. Worth the hassle, total pain in the butt or not a big deal to get a new one?
We had to get engine cert tags for volvos to place by the machine serial tag. It was a big bunch of horsecrap and they were built in America but the tags had to come from Sweden. I don't know if Cat is any better at this, but it sucked for us.
EPA are the rule makers. Importing Vehicles and Engines into the United States | US EPA This site describes EPA emission regulations and requirements for importing motor vehicles, motor vehicle engines, heavy-duty on-highway engines, recreational vehicles, and nonroad engines. www.epa.gov 2011. Caterpillar did not put labels(and emissions equipment) on the engines even when the engines were new. Caterpillar to Pay $2.55 Million for Sales of Engines With Improper Emissions Controls | Transport Topics Caterpillar Inc. will pay $2.55 million to the federal and California governments to settle claims it sold engines without proper emissions controls and violated emissions control reporting and engine labeling regulations, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency said. www.ttnews.com The re-reman stuff. https://www.cat.com/en_US/articles/cat-truck-engine-articles/c-12-c13-engines.html
If it were Cummins powered-would have to be recertified by Cummins.
Find a valve cover at a junkyard with a tag, drive to Canada and bolt on the tagged valve cover. The article from “ttnews” linked above about the cat lawsuit, that lawsuit had nothing to do with engine labels.
Someone always is cooking a angle. Lets see If I do this I won't have to pay any tax.
Do ya blame 'em?
Absolutely
I bought a log truck from a dealer in Canada. Series 60 not a single tag anywhere on the motor or truck about emissions. The computer was also wiped clean of any related info. So I don't know if it's needed or not. Been a few years ago and the EPA hasn't come knocking at the door.