I just bought a factory built heavy spec Freightliner classic. It is a 2000 freightliner tri axle truck and a fontaine 50 tri axle trailer. 14k front axle on the truck. I haven't sat down to do the math yet. Curious if one of ya'll have similar setup and know off the top of your head What is the approximate weight I can scale legally? It's a sleeper truck, double framed front bumper to tail. sleeper truck with wet kit and extended frame.
That is going differ from state to state. I would guess your lightweight is going to be 46ish? For example in Wyoming I am licensed for 98000 and I can scale a 55k load without buying weight if I have it loaded correctly. My tare is 41k with 7 axles / three axle trailer. In Idaho anything over 80 is going to require a permit and as I recall Utah is the same. Montana is more along the lines of Wyoming if you register enough on your cab card. I don't get out of the Intermountain west much so I'm not familiar with other states. What area will you be running?
That sounds like a real deal, Freightshaker money maker. A rig like that can haul the mail. With six in the hole, ready to pull. Are you going to pull state to state? Putting miles on the road? Loading up, dropping off, picking up your next load? Welcome to the HEF. Great to have you and your Freightliner. I used to drive a red Kenworth. With Caterpillar Power. Rolling coal by the hour. She could pull 11.5k gallons of the fresh. Straight from the rack. Everyday, all day. I have a picture of her somewhere. Painted in custom Inlet Petro lipstick Red and She would knock them dead. I’d polish her chrome between loads.
mainly arkansas southern missouri unless the money makes me go elsewhere. it's got a 600 hp Cat and a 13. It really probably needs an 18 but it's low geared so it does well.
I'm more of a KW guy, but I like a classic for leg room and they've always been good trucks for me. i'm not sure yet where it will end up, but for now it's staying pretty close to arkansas.
Welcome to the Forums arkie! Glad to have you. Is this setup to move your equipment, other folks equipment or both?
Size/Weight limits - Alabama DimensionNational NetworkState and Other Supplemental HighwaysWidth:8' 6"8' 6"Height:13' 6"13' 6"Length:National NetworkState and Other Supplemental HighwaysBus45'45'Articulated bus60'60'Straight Trucks40'40'Straight truck and trailer57'57'Tractor-semitrailer combinationsNo limitNo limit Except... jjkellercompliancenetwork.com
Thank you very much. probably both honestly. We have a tow company here and it's a natural progression to heavy haul since we're hauling heavy most of the time anyway.
96k on any interstate in the country, as long as you're long enough, and have the permit if needed. 12k steer 42k on truck pusher/drivers 42k trailer If you're long enough, you might get 98k.
At 75' with a 53' 3 axle trailer 3 axle tractor with drop. 12 steer 43 on drives and drop as a group 43 on trailer with 60" axle spread group Equals 98K, but depending on tractor wheel base and distance from center of rear drive axle to center of drop axle it could carry 100K. Also depends on trailer kingpin setting. So much of this depends on tare weight--and just how much extra iron carried, such as chains and binders, dunnage. In certain areas there are 4 lanes that won't allow it, so learning all the rules in a 500 mile radius will help by looking DOT rules for those routes. * This Coronado below is a double frame with a 13,000 lb drop. It was just able to carry 98, with a 9' 8" drop axle spread. *
I was assuming 8' spreads on tridems, 10' spreads do carry 43, but most guys aren't capable of dialing in their axle weights that close. I figured 96k was a idiot-proof answer. Obviously with 8' spreads it's still close.
Minimum distance for a drop axle is 9' 6" from center of rear axle to center of drop to be able to carry 43,000 as drive axle/drop axle group. Some years back 5 new T800's arrived with wrong diameter fuel tanks and drop axles set at 9' 4", all 5 were rejected. Not hard to figure how much net can haul, Jeff one of the old drivers was able several times to make 58,000 and some major change.