Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CARB to Force Extended Emissions Warranty

Birken Vogt · 2018-05-10 13:16

https://www.arb.ca.gov/regact/2018/hdwarranty18/notice.pdf?utm_medium=email&utm_source=govdelivery I suppose this is because they hear in every state emissions workshop how bad this junk is for the small operator. I feel conflicted about it. On one hand I want the government out of everybody's business. On the other hand, manufacturers probably had a hand in this debacle and they made their bed, now they can lie in it.

Replies26
  1. #1John C.2018-05-10 21:06

    That is an ugly mess to try and read through. As far as I can see the real issue is how much the consumers will be strapped when buying a new truck to pay for the "required" extra warranty.

  2. #2crane operator2018-05-11 08:24

    But if you read it, they don't think it will cost the consumers any more $, because they will save that expense in what they will save in repair costs? Exactly how bad are some of these "warranty" problems. I hear horror stories of 20-30,000 stacks of bills for individual trucks, but I don't know anyone personally. So let me get this straight, I buy a truck, 380 days in it throws the motor due to dpf, scr, or some other "emissions" problem, because Calif wants 17 less asthma complaints at the local hospital. I have a $20,000 repair bill. CARB wants that to now be a "warranty" item, and can force the manuf. to offer that warranty. so the price just jumped $40,000 on all trucks sold in Calif. Is there no one in the room who will raise their hand and say "maybe we won't have the $20,000 repair bills in the first place, if we don't try to get unobtainable emmisions". If I was a manuf. I think I would just not build anything for calif. Now I did read that toward the end that any "hybrid" are exempt. Could you then try to do some sort of regen braking elect. drive motors, (diesel over electric) and be totally emmisions exempt? Or would that only be if they have a "battery storage system" I think I could make a pretty small "battery" . The whole thing just reads like a bureacracy with way too much time on its hands and no concept of what anything costs.

  3. #3Birken Vogt2018-05-11 10:53

    1. Wonderful point. 15 years ago everything was still mostly mechanical and did not smoke hardly at all. What have we gained now? 2. Fortunately or unfortunately, for the time being, there are not separate California standards. They have just required accelerated replacement of engines (therefore trucks most of the time) to the current federal standards. If it was not for this program I suspect the market for these junkers may have crashed after 2007/2010 when people would decide to rebuild engines instead of replace trucks. But since California mandated a huge market for them, the manufacturers got a boost and they kind of took over the market. 3. You got that right.

  4. #4Wes J2018-05-11 11:34

    What does the warranty cover? Is it the emissions gear, or anything connected to it? Unfortunately, there have been some huge turds sold since the emissions laws kicked in. Guys with twin cam ISX, Maxxforce 13, Cat "bridge", Mercedes MBE, etc engines are driving liability time bombs. Resale value on trucks with those engines is horrible. No warranty is going to change that. Those engines will still be junk. But, it is getting a bit better. They are starting to figure out the emissions equipment. But, it's taking a long time, and fuel economy is still not back to where it was in the old days. But the trade off is that power output has gone way up.

  5. #5Birken Vogt2018-05-11 11:53

    "any part that causes the illumination of the heavy-duty on-board diagnostics system’s malfunction indicator light"

  6. #6DMiller2018-05-13 15:02

    Was behind a new or newer SCR school bus the other day, it went into a DEF regen about four times as I could tell, smoked like was on fire then calmed back down. That at speed on I44 in St. Louis. I have witnessed what I had suspected were DEF SCR regens in the recent past on fairly new trucks coming out of yards where they had been spotting and picking trailers. Looked worse as to emission in blue black and grey smoke then back to somewhat clean for around five miles. Stank to high heaven so I am supposing the systems do not deliver as they were 'expected' to.

  7. #7DMiller2018-05-13 15:07

    Fuel economy is not coming back, the first result of Sulphur removal is BTU loss in the fuel, then they removed more and are now in a 'Reformulation' stage with #2 fuels. Have a cousin works at Roxana IL refinery.

  8. #8RZucker2018-05-13 15:20

    A few years ago I replaced a turbo on a Cat C12 , the turbine impellor had to be fished out of the pipe and had dumped a fair amount of oil in the exhaust... The first regen resulted in 6' flames out the stacks. OOPSIE.

  9. #9DMiller2018-05-13 16:08

    Can be funny and I know not funny to the one who is working on it!! That old B series Bulldog I had on the dyno at Mack St. Louis. I was running it, was building 285hp on an older END 673(transplant) had just put a tune on, was a curious knob affair on the dash on a cable control. Being I was young, and Consistently curious while the engine was building a little heat I reached over and pulled slightly, met a little resistance so thought may be a vent or something as had no PTO, pulled harder. WHAM!! The engine went ballistic, spitting out over 380hp, tach was well above where I would limit and I let go then backed off the dyno controls. Well I was sitting there regaining composure and heart rate when the foreman jumped on the side of the cab, hollered to "BACK IT OUT, NOW!!" Got the roll stopped, I jumped out, and started cutting the tie down loose, could hear the popping and crackling, got it backed out where in thirty minutes the STL FD was on site putting out the exhaust hood fire. Herb the foreman was in the yard when I pulled the handle, some form of rack/governor stinger/over ride, and said the fire coming out the old 4" exhaust straight stack was "Spectacular" although it did set fire to the exhaust hood.

  10. #10RZucker2018-05-13 17:23

    Yeah, it wasn't funny at the time... I yelled at the guys "DO NOT SHUT IT DOWN" the flames burned out fairly quickly. 2-3 minutes tops. And it's standard procedure to do a forced regen outside. I've seen some nasty stuff from the pipes before.

  11. #11John C.2018-05-13 20:49

    Use to see that on Detroit V8s that had chucked engine oil into the mufflers. Put the things back together and watched the smoke roll for minutes at the least.

  12. #12td25c2018-05-13 21:11

    After a feller has to pay more for the new truck regulation then go's to build a new home ...... He will pay for solar if he wants it or not . https://nypost.com/2018/05/10/california-to-require-solar-panels-on-all-new-homes-by-2020/ This plan will work out great as long as everyone has deep pockets with cash . California is an awesome state with great people . Problem is they got a few real dandy's at the top makin rule 's & regulations that conflict with common sense ...... You cat's need to kick them fellers to the curb .

  13. #13td25c2018-05-13 21:20

    The GMC wrecker will do that for a few miles down the road & then clear up . LOL !

  14. #14DMiller2018-05-13 21:27

    Remember the old 318T engines, The old 8v71 Turbocharged some at 300 others at 350hp. Middle of August, cold start on a 100 degree day and could swear someone lit off a mosquito fogger! Would oil and unburnt fuel smoke like a forest fire! Would not clear up for the first ten miles.

  15. #15td25c2018-05-13 21:43

    # 2 Grove crane " white smokes" when she first fires until it warms up . Engine runs great just smokes a little when cold . Hope the Ford 302 engine don't smoke that bad with the 6-71 on top of it .

  16. #16RZucker2018-05-13 22:27

    I've run old FFC 335 Cummins engines that did the same thing. Saying it's only a Detroit issue doesn't get it. Some of those old Cummins engines needed ether on a 70 degree day too. Let's not forget 1600 series Cats with glowplugs too, they did the same thing 'til they warmed up too.

  17. #17td25c2018-05-13 22:43

    Yep , We set the Fiat-Allis dozer up with an 855 Cummins CPL 449 . She's a " white smoker " when cold . Ass kicker when warm . Another one that won't meet some regulation ... I have an idea ...... Send the CARB boy's out to Hawaii & have them regulate the volcano ...... https://globalnews.ca/news/4204824/hawaii-hilauea-volcano-eruption-west-coast/ " We are government officials Volcano and you will do what we tell you " . LOL !

  18. #18RZucker2018-05-13 23:54

    When the volcano wont comply... their heads will explode/implode.

  19. #19DMiller2018-05-14 06:40

    All the old decompressed feed them more fuel engines did that!! I do remember! The early 400 Cummins SC engines were some really bad smokers. A lot of low compression engines in the early days too as my old Allis farm tractor or the old two lunger Deeres also smoked Horribly on a cold start mid August. 3208s or the earlier 1160 precursor with only two rings slobbered and tended to be stubborn starters. Remember the IH DVs? The old guys will remember the ALCo locomotives, had one customer with a towboat we serviced ran Alton to Hannibal/Quincy with it on short load tows, had twin Alcos that looked like a WWII movie set with the ships 'Laying a Smoke Screen'!

  20. #20245dlc2018-05-17 18:29

    Really all the manufacturers and dealerships should gang up and launch a class action law suit against CARB, we finally got a bypass for our Mark 9 Kobelco with the Fix It Again Tony Iveco lump. But I think it still has EGR which is never good for an engine. DEF is about one of the dumbest idea's for a country where we can see temperatures in the far north pushing -60C and temps in the south as low as -45C.

  21. #21Birken Vogt2018-05-17 19:30

    I think the manufacturers were at least somewhat complicit in this because the CARB forced replacement program came about the same time. So lots of people had to buy new trucks here for no good reason, the accelerated replacement schedule was really accelerated. At the same time the construction market tanked, so they put off the equipment part of the program for many years but I guess it is now underway. The regulators at CARB do not have any idea how bad this stuff really is, they sit behind a desk. They probably think it is like buying a 2005 car was over a 1995 car, it is still a car with some slightly different catalyst and whatnot. They don't know or care about the spaghetti mess we have today vs the good trucks of 2005. I think the manufacturers were arrogant about the technology improvements they thought they could produce as well. It led to Cat and International feeling some real pain (in the truck sector anyway) and who knows what else behind closed doors. Serves them right, they had the weight to fight this and instead they went along with the government and against their customers.

  22. #22td25c2018-05-17 20:40

    Or stop selling the product in California . Product won't comply with the state we just won't sell it here anymore . Remember hearing about Smith & Wesson doing that on hand guns few years back . https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/jan/22/smith-wesson-stop-selling-guns-california-due-micr/ Did that actually go down ? Cant buy a new Smith & Wesson hand gun in CA today ? They try to pull the same stuff with agriculture . Have several customers that deal big in the poultry business . " California don't like the way we produce poultry & eggs " in Indiana ..... That's cool ! Stop eating it .

  23. #23245dlc2018-05-18 18:03

    I don't see how that would work when Tier 4 is actually an International problem, the Europeans, I think Aussie's, and of course us Canadian's have to struggle with it.

  24. #24td25c2018-05-18 23:19

    Understand that 245dlc . We are working on a tier 6 engine in the company car now . Got some kind of smog pump on top of it to comply with new regulations . It has something to do with exhaust emissions & air pressure . At least I'm doing my part to help clean up the air .

  25. #25hvy 1ton2018-05-18 23:32

    As far as i know Australia, New Zealand, and Brasil are all still on tier II/III stuff. Some days I start thinking learning Portuguese wouldn't be that hard.

  26. #26DMiller2018-05-19 14:08

    LOL!!! Tier 6!! HAHAHAHA!!! Sweet smallblock Ford that Huffer is sitting on, any specs? BTW, gonna be a bear to change a rotor bug in after full install!