Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cargo securement

Grader4me · 2010-06-19 07:39

In the cargo securement standard 10 regulations it states that all securement devices (chains included) has to be marked with a Working Load Limit (WLL). This came into effect Jan. 1, 2010. We have until Jan. 1, 2011 (grace period) to comply. We have been in contact with our chain suppler and they know nothing of it. They will soon have to be educated I guess..lol This is going to cost our department big time as all new chains will have to be purchased. I was talking to an officer at the scales and he told me that all trucks coming over the scales, the drivers are being told about this one year grace period. My question..is this being pushed in the U.S.?

Replies28
  1. #1muzy2010-06-19 09:09

    I always thought it was the law? wll on hooks and bomers, g70 stamped on chain links. If the g70 is not readable, the chain would be worn out. Tie down straps have tag sewen in and usualy a red thead over the length indicating that they are DOT, or TC compliante. muzy

  2. #2mitch5042010-06-19 11:01

    Hey G4me, I haven't seen or heard of this being pushed in SC, but in the US things like enforcement are so different from state to state. There is a big push to standardize things across all states and I see where that is good for the guys that run interstate (because it drives me crazy when we go out of state) but I don't like it because my state uses more common sense than others; and we all know government won't settle on common sense. Any chains used in overhead lifting have to be marked G80 or G100 but it's usually with a tag at one end.

  3. #3Tiny2010-06-19 12:15

    G4 , It's been that way here a good while.Along with a chain rating chart Heres some light reading.lol http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/truck/vehicle/cs-policy.htm

  4. #4Grader4me2010-06-19 20:42

    I'm talking about the WLL stamped or tagged on the securement chain. We have 3/8 grade 70 chain. National Safety Code Standard 10 Part 1, Division 3, Section 11 (4) states: “On and after January 1, 2010, a person shall not use a tiedown or a component of a tiedown to secure cargo to a vehicle unless it is marked by the manufacturer with respect to its working load limit.” Transition and Educational Period  Implementation of the requirement to use tiedowns which are rated and marked with a Working Load Limit will be phased in over a twelve month period ending on December 31, 2010 On and after January 1, 2011, each of the minimum number of tiedowns required under NSC 10 must be rated and marked with a Working Load Limit .

  5. #5Tiny2010-06-19 21:07

    Another thing to keep in mind is the attachment point needs to be rated also,Most stake pockets I have seen are not rated for much more than 5,000 lbs each. My boss bought 1/2 chains and thought he was cool but......

  6. #6mitch5042010-06-19 21:16

    If the chain is stamped G30,G43,G70 or G80 doesn't that say it has met the minimum working load limit for that size chain at that Grade?

  7. #7Grader4me2010-06-19 21:20

    Thats not what I'm reading into it Mitch..has to be marked with a WLL...just like the binders etc..I wish someone would prove me wrong though...

  8. #8Grader4me2010-06-19 21:26

    Hummm..attachment points don't need to be rated in good old Canada...not yet anyway..

  9. #9Tiny2010-06-19 21:36

    Here the G 70 is the same as the working load limit and all we need.....Not sure the D.O.T. cops would know what anything else means.

  10. #10Grader4me2010-06-20 05:55

    I know the graded chain will give you the maximum WLL, and can't see for the life of me why they would want it marked with a WLL as well. Now...I'm also hearing rumors that this might be changed in the regulations, as the U.S. is putting the pressure on. I certainly hope so. Just a rumor though..

  11. #11stock2010-06-29 09:44

    Take note of this Got an email about this today...... Runaway digger fatality 'avoidable' A Sherriff investigating the death of 24 year old beautician killed when a run-away wheel loader struck the car she was travelling in has called for compulsory training of truck driver on securing loads before they can transport goods and the registering of chains used when transporting heavy loads. In his Determination, Sheriff David Sutherland said the accident in July 2006 'could so easily have been avoided'. The Michigan L190 wheel loader was being taken to a quarry in Kindeace when it rolled off the low loader and struck the car in which Christina Fraser was travelling on the A9 at the Tomich junction near Invergordon. The Fatal Accident Enquiry was told the 30t machine had a defective park brake and was secured by two chains with a braking strain of 4.5t or 5t. Sherriff Sutherland said the accident could have been avoided if transport company Munro & Sons (Highland) had: • Carried out a full risk assessment, and ascertained the weight of the machine prior to transportation • Provided sufficient and suitable restraints including chocks and chains with a sufficient braking strain. • Had a proper system of inspection of chains and kept records of each chain's safe working load • Instructed its employees on the correct methods of load restraint and ensured their understanding the principles espoused in the Code of Practice When the machine was been offered for sale Serimax Limited (formerly Umax Lid) it had a defective park brake, but this was masked by an unusual interlock system which operated the foundation brakes when the engine was running. The vendor had also previously filled the rear tyres with water to increase the machine's weight. When the transporting vehicle started heading uphill, the defective park brake meant the wheel loader's full weight was restrained by the chains which broke and allowed the machine to run down the hill. Munro & Sons (Highland) had pleaded guilty to Health and Safety offences and its initial fine of £3,750 was subsequently increased to £30,000 on Appeal, and its Operators Licence was revoked. Sherriff Sutherland said each load should be weighed before being moved and expressed concern about the level of driver training in so far as it applied to securing loads - especially heavy loads such as machinery. He also called for the compulsory testing and registering of chains and other load restraint equipment as happens when they are used for lifting.

  12. #12heavylift2010-06-29 13:24

    maybe they will want them marked with tags... same as lifting chains or chokers...

  13. #13muzy2010-06-29 15:03

    Secured with 2 chains? Even if they were 1/2 inch the trucker did not have a clue. That machen would need 6 3/8 g70. But with fluid in wheels.... your gusse is as good as mine. Pretty sad,pretty sad. Yup mistakes are made everyday, this is huge did this driver not have any comensense training. I just want to cuss. muzy

  14. #14mitch5042010-06-29 19:13

    I hate people like that truckdriver. They do something like that and then everything gets worse for those of us who'd use four straps on their riding mower without the regs when government and the public overreact.

  15. #15stumpjumper832010-07-30 21:36

    yeah, and she was probably tailgating the semi so close, in another inch she would have been getting a free ride.

  16. #16Randy882010-08-06 07:17

    Here the chain binders need WLL but the chains need a stamp of the strength like G70 or 30 or whatever and they use the lowest amount in the equation say for example you have a 5500 lb binder and a G30 chain then its only rated at the lower g30 chian and it takes more of them, they have been talking about going to all G70's but not as of yet. You can go with a higher grade chain but guys I've been talkng to have been having problems with them snapping off. The old soft chains will stretch as will the G70's but those G80's or G100 just snap they claim. The hook on the end also needs a rating on it or its red tagged and needs to be taken off the load.

  17. #17Tiny2010-08-26 19:27

    Pics of decals for some more info

  18. #18jake12342010-12-05 10:11

    Hello , I am looking for suggestions on proper blocking on a beam trailer..thanks

  19. #19Tiny2010-12-05 10:49

    What are you hauling? Btw Welcome to The Heavy Equipment Forum and we Like picture's

  20. #20jake12342010-12-07 20:02

    Heavy Equipment. i have hauled on a regular RGN but this is going to be a first with a beam. i have helped and watched machines being loaded on a beam.

  21. #21Grader4me2011-05-26 17:40

    When checking around the different divisions to ensure that their securement chains were stamped with a grade, I noticed alot of these chains had differing codes stamped on them. A mixture of numbers and letters. None of them had "G70" for example stamped on them. I can't seem to find anything on the internet to find out what these codes mean. I'm just curious I guess..lol I emailed management a few months ago explaining that we needed to start buying securement chain with the grade stamped on them. Guess what?..none was purchased..so right now our chain supplier is doing a good business...lol. Another question...as you know Rollers are classified as "powered mobile equipment"..in your part of the world does a Roller have to be registered and have a license plate?

  22. #22Randy882011-05-27 06:19

    Here in the states hooks are stamped with the g70 and the chains I've been using or buying have been stamped every few links with the g70 or just 70 but the problem is after you use them a while and from wear and tear the stamping is no longer readable not that it was great to start with, most of my chains are no longer able to be read but as of yet the dot has been going by the hooks and to see the chain is not stretched or had repairs done on it with those weld in links and things like that. As to where to buy them from with the stamping on, I ordered mine through a chain supplier a few years back and as of yet nobody seems to worry about not being able to read the stamping on the links themselves, the dot must have enough things to find wrong at the moment and isn't really worried about those things. I've asked at meetings the dot puts on and the things they were most concerned with in my area anyhow is to first off even have chains and binders period which surprisingly is still done all the time to drive off and not have a single chain or binder on the load and second to have enough to cover the load weight and then they want to make sure you have at least a grade 70 stamp on the hook and the chain isn't stretched or had those weld links put in them, none I've talked to have been worried about the stamping on the links themselves but that goes by area and office I'm sure, what we are told in one state isn't the case the next. I'd think most any chain supplier should be able to get the stamped chain and hooks, as to what the numbers are for other than a G I'd have no idea unless its for lifting only purpose or overhead use those are supposed to have something different on them but I'm not sure what, I try to avoid those criteria as much as possible and just worry about load securement instead. Sorry I wasn't much help.

  23. #23Grader4me2011-05-28 16:26

    Good information Randy88..thanks for sharing. I know that 2010 was the "grace period" to start getting the proper securement chains. In our province CVE officers at the scales was just warning those that never had the grade stamped on the chains. This year its fines. I notice the 3/8 chain that we are now getting is gold color and stamped with L7. I presume this means Grade 70. All the other numbers and letters I don't have a clue what they mean either. Called CVE on that to...they don't have a clue..

  24. #24Randy882011-05-29 04:26

    "They don't have a clue" that statement covers a lot and sums it up pretty nicely, read it and laughed for a while. The gold color wears off after some use and being in the elements, and will look like any other chain before long. If you figure it out let us know and if you get an answer from CVE, I'd say post that too but that could take decades for that to happen. Look at the bright side, in my state they put a ban on texting while driving and the other day I met the first dot officer and he didn't pay any attention to me when I met him because he was texting while driving and the next one was on his cell phone, about every state trooper I've met lately has had a cell phone to his ear while driving, some days I just gotta wonder first off how come they get paid to talk on a cell phone or text while working and second just how safe are those that govern safety issues?

  25. #25Grader4me2011-05-29 06:59

    Yeah, the new law comes into effect here on June 6th. No more useing hand held devices while driving. We are into a bit of a situation with public safety right now to..we always had to have the rented rollers registered and plated as they work on the highways. Rental companies are saying that this is no longer required. I contacted public safety and everyone has a differing opinion as none of them are on the same page. Fustrating to say the least as if they don't know how in hell are we supposed to know? Supposed to be straigtened out this week..lol This is off topic but thought I would throw it in. Back to securement chains...I'm not sure what would happen when the stamped grade wears off the chains..cross that bridge when we come to it...lol On edit....I'm now seeing lots of gold colored chains around the different divisions...keeping the stockrooms busy..and our chain suppliers are smiling...lol

  26. #26Tiny2011-05-29 11:03

    I'm betting they will say the chain is worn out ...Buy new

  27. #27Grader4me2011-05-29 19:07

    Yeah, you're probably right Tiny...

  28. #28JDOFMEMI2011-05-29 22:35

    I buy only grade 100 chain for mine. I have had too many grade 70 and even grade 80 chains deform and even break to do any less for anything but a very light load. Any grade 70 I had is relegated to the small trailers behind a pick up. Even the grade 100 will stretch some under load, but I feel very secure with it. Also, make sure the binders are rated as well as the chain and hooks. I have mostly overhead lifting rated hooks, as they have the pad that spreads the load so it does not deform the chain, or worse yet, pull through the trailer. I have not looked at the condition of the stampings, but I look closely every time I get one out to use for stretched or deformed links. It just doesn't pay to skimp on good chain. The grade 100 cost 1/2 again as much, but 1 lost load would pay for a whole truckload of chain, so why cut corners on such an important item.