Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Carson Trailers

Palmer78 ยท 2009-04-19 02:08

I was wondering if anyone has opinions on Carson equipment trailers. Today I looked at a used 9995 lb 16' trailer with pull out ramps. I am not a trailer expert but some things just didn't look right on that trailer such as: 1) Couldn't read the faded weight sticker ( I'm used to seeing stamped metal tags) 2) Brakes on the right side of the trailer didn't have any wires connected to them. Are they supposed to? 3) The frame is not one piece from the tongue to the rear. The frame for the deck is welded onto the tongue frame wich I don't really like. 4) The 2 5/16" coupler looks like probably the cheapest you can get. I see similar ones sold at Harbor Freight. 5) Overall quality looked like it could have been better. A lot of the cut steel looked rough and could have been cleaned up a little better. 6) Owner said the rear of the trailer was slightly bent from loading without setting the rear jacks to stabilize it. It was very hard to notice but it was there. I'm sure the trailer would work fine for towing my 8000 lb mini excavator but I'm thinking I could probably find something better for the money. Does anyone have any opinions about the quality of this trailer?

Replies8
  1. #1Dwan Hall2009-04-19 08:00

    I would pass on any trailer I had questions about it's safety. Why would you put your toys at risk on something that may brake going down the road or may not brake for that mater. (pun intended)

  2. #2Bob Horrell2009-04-19 19:26

    Carson is a local Southern California trailer manufacturer. I have seen a number of them and have not been impressed. I certainly wouldn't haul 8,000lbs on one.

  3. #3Palmer782009-04-19 22:34

    And one other thing. I don't remember seeing any D-rings or any tie down points at all on this trailer.

  4. #4Steve Frazier2009-04-19 23:28

    Palmer, it sounds to me like you've answered your own question in the first post.......if it looks like a duck.....

  5. #5Chaz Murray2009-04-20 15:32

    I have never been impressed with Carson trailers. They are cheaply built and you get what you pay for! I bought a PJ Car Trailer in 1999 and have put it through the wringer. Its had everything on it from cars, rock crawlers, boats, sheets of steel, fork lifts and over all just beat up and so far the worst that has happened so far was bent a fender when a friend borrowed it and clipped a rock when it was loaded up at the Rubicon Trail. I have been very happy with the quality of it for the price. Now given my trailer is only a GVWR of 7000lbs but the 10,000lb trailers were not that much more money. I know what everyone is prob. thinking...we own Murray Trailer and build trailers for a living but for what they sell them for it was not worth my time to do it myself...at least for this small of a trailer. If money were no object I would have picked up a Featherlight aluminum trailer...but kind of hard to justify spending 2-3x for the same size trailer

  6. #6Bob Horrell2009-04-20 23:24

    Chaz, I have a 2000 PJ equipment trailer. It is a well built, tough trailer. I have towed it many miles on rough dirt roads, which usually trash lesser built trailers, and it is holding up well. The I beams are substantial, the welds are excellent, and it tows like it isn't there. I would definitely buy another. I find myself looking at other equipment trailers and comparing to the PJ. I seldom find another built as well.

  7. #7Dualie2009-04-27 03:07

    Carson trailers for the most part are cheep and dirty. you get what you pay for. I have a little Walton 14K tilt deck that's now 15 years old. has had everything from cars to forklifts, skidstears, a load of welders, and decent farm tractors. Other than new tires every 5-6 years its been a great trailer. IF money was no object I would have featherlike buid me one of those aluminum gooseneck flats they have with air ride. But since that aint an option the little Walton works **** for what I do. I have put 16K on the trailer that's rated for 14K and figure it to way 3K. 3 tons over loaded the trailer never complained one bit.

  8. #8Palmer782009-04-28 00:18

    I ended up buying a well used Zieman 1165 trailer with a 9999lb GVWR. It appears to be a simple, ruggedly built trailer, and other than needing a paint job, having banged up fenders and needing to bend part of a ramp back straight it appears to be in good working condition. The only things I don't like about this trailer is that it is narrow. Only 71 inches of deck width but has about 81 inches between the fenders. It only comes with load range D tires too.