Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

case 1080 excavator final drive pillow block bearing

O'Mahony ยท 2013-09-15 07:30

I have an old 1080 Case excavator and lost the inside pillow block bearing on the output shaft of the final drive.I have been looking for a new one but it does not seem to be available from Case or any where else that I can find.Does anybody have any ideas?

Replies3
  1. #1sheepfoot2013-09-15 12:25

    bearings The 1080 machine used bearings on the drives supporting the sprocket axle, the biggest difference was the 1/8 pipe plug fitting drilled between the bolt spacing on the bearing blocks, that you grease from the track frames, older units you had to reach up between the track and grease, but was changed for better service life with the outside fittings put on the frame so people would grease and plurge the dirt out. A lot of people just would not grease them due to not knowing or it's fitting location (real pain with out a long grease gun hose). Getting back to the bearing the outside nut end, is a S242158 and sells for about $1,489.75, you can search and find some for around $750.00. The inside bearing is a rebuild type, S97173 retainer is $356.04, (2) S235140 seals at $33.01 each, S97820 bearing at $428.24, S95495 spacer at $176.75, (3) S235141 seal at $43.68 each, main housing S516597 is $1075.84, parts priced a Messick's site on line and others, may take some of these numbers and run them again to find some better prices. Now if you take your time and can get it off the shaft you may be able to save your retainer/spacer/housing. It can take some force to move that sprocket sometimes, and may have to split the trans case and burn the bearing off to remove the shaft from the bull gear to be able to remove that inner block bearing on a press. I have bought 40D/40E drott used bearings before for parts, but you have to drill the hole for the grease hose or go back to reaching inside to grease them without hooking the two lines up. The 1080B/1280B machines did away with this setup on the final drives, and later replaced by the delta series 125/170/220 case poclains and the 88 series 688/888/1088 case poclains

  2. #2O'Mahony2013-09-15 13:16

    thanks sheepfoot for the information-I have been searching around for these bearings through Case and internet and have not had any luck for about the last month.I will check with Messicks and let you know how I make out.I have a friend who is a machinest who was going to help me make something else work,but I like to keep things stock.Thanks again for your time.

  3. #3O'Mahony2013-09-17 18:51

    I tried Messicks and did not have alot of luck.Still searching.