I recently bought the machine and it has a few issues. First the alternator pulley is shot. Eas fix remove it, get it tested and install new pulley. It also took out the belt. Another obvious fix just replace it. Second it needs batteries. I'm gonna replace them again no issues here. Once I have that done I can test all the functions and make sure it drives and operates as it should. Not taking any chances running it long without water pump or fan. Third it has no service/working brakes. I have done nothing to look into this yet. Forth it has no parking brake. The entire parking brake actuator is missing. This part is no longer available from case or badger. This I would like to find used. Fifth the crowd cylinder needs rebuilt as it is leaking bad. Might need some crome work and repacked. Sixth the left rear tire leaks at the oring. Need to remove it and have the local tire shop fix it. Seventh the slides for the digmor hydraulic extendable dipper wear slides are missing or badly worn. Case doesn't have it in the parts or repair manuals. I also called a local case dealer and they can't find anything on it. First I need to get the batteries in and belt on so I can run the machine so it can be loaded on a trailer and brought home. Once it's here both brake issues are first priority. Any help of insight you have on finding parts or working on this machine is greatly appreciated Thanks Dill
I have found the parking brake air chamber. Part number s217432 for 300 new. I was waiting to hear back from some vendors on used ones. Would it be foolish to even try one if new is only 300?
I would buy the new one.
I have been busy and progress has been slow. Last weekend I was able to get the alternator replaced and the new belt put on. I also installed new batteries. Now I just have to get it hauled home to start working on the brakes. Hopefully that will be in the next week or 2.
Hi... lets see if I can help you out When you say you don't have digging brakes, have you aired up the machine? 1085B uses an air over hydraulic system. All of the hydraulic brake components are supplied by Rockwell. The air side can pretty much be found aftermarket. The crowd cylinder seals are available aftermarket (BTW the crowd and hoist cylinders are identical) I have only seen one Digmore boom with that much wear, I believe the customer had the wear shoes custom made. Good luck with your new purchase, they are actually a pretty basic machine.
I have not actually started to diagnose the brakes yet. The previous owner assumed the brake shoes are seized due to sitting. He owned it for 3 years and never looked into it. From what I can see from the manual I have to pull the planetarys off to remove the drums to get the shoes free again. If that is actually the problem. Thanks for the information old timer!
The brake chambers may be purchased for about $80.00. Any truck repair shop or even NAPA can match it up with one on their shelves.
Tinkerer I was wondering about that myself. I was gonna look into it when I got the machine home. I can't match it up as my machine has it removed all together. Does anyone know the stroke of the factory chamber. I can get a 30/30 short or long stroke for less then 40 bucks.
I didn't know the stroke of my two (Case OEM) chambers either. I just took one of them to local truck repair shop and I had a shop foreman and a parts man eager to help me. The parts guy was old like me. He took one look at it and said I can get a new one just like it for $800.00 or I can you sell one I have on the shelf for $75.00. I think it was a 30/30 chamber he sold me.
I do know I looked at our I believe it was bendix book at work and I believe I saw something very similar to oem. I would rather go the 30/30 route as they can be found anywhere any time. Thanks again For your time and information. You say you have 2 of these machines how do you like them?
A quick look at the parts book showed this Then I found this --->
Tinkerer I found the same thing. It's in my second post. I believe I'm going the 30/30 route.
the machine made it home yesterday
Drove it around today a little to remove the grading bucket and another issue popped up. It doesn't go into reverse all the time. When it engages it seems to be fine but some times nothing happens.
Hi Dillpickle The trans is mechanical shift. likely cable adjustment needed, but I have also seen the shifter forks worn out. Have somebody in the cab shift it and look at where the forks attach at the swivel area. set of forks in the upper and lower. Also the shifter tubes that run thru the center can sieze up. Once you see how it works it's simple. Congrats, nice looking machine! Hope this helps