Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 1150 Track Loader

979 ยท 2013-03-29 20:20

Hi guys! I just got my leaking (on the drive shaft seal) torque converter out and opened up. Need to replace all lip seals on the torque converter housing and replace the bearings. The input bearing was starting to get just a little bit sloppy so I may as well do them all. The question is... how would I tell if the torque converter is starting to go bad? Is there any way to check it while it is out? The machine did struggle to push heavy piles of dirt. I'm not sure what kind of pressure it made normally but I noticed today that the gauge line was plugged. Although I do not see anything abnormal, I'v never had one apart before, so any advice is appreciated.

Replies3
  1. #1sheepfoot2013-03-29 23:04

    At this point all you can do is a good inspection, replace all bearings and seals. I would start at the pilot hub to crankshaft for fit along with flex plates then move to the housing for the turbine looking for cracks. Next take a good look at the turbine and guide wheel for rub marks, heavy wear, damage from other failures. Next the turbine impeller cover for damage along with a close inspection of the gear pump drive inner bushing bearing for heavy wear and surface groves. The carrier also will need to be looked at for wear from sealing rings and bushing wear reff gear pump drive bushing. All parts need to be cleaned good along with the reg and bypass relief valves before putting unit back together. Keep your relief valve parts, springs and shims together, you will need a starting point during start up so you can check your pressures. Due to the age a seal kit and bearings may be all you need, but look good at the carrier and drive bushing also. Their are several places that can build and test your unit off the machine if needed. Ask more if needed!

  2. #29792013-03-31 19:03

    Thanks, now just need to find parts and get it back together!

  3. #3PD Mech Steve2013-04-03 10:24

    1150 Converter Typically when a converter goes bad its usually bearings or thrust washers that fail. This leads to the turbine scrubbing the inside and usually major damage. If there's no damage to your turbine or other internal components you should be fine with new brg's and seals. If you need parts, I'd be glad to quote you. Good luck. Steve. www.pdmechanical.com