Hello all, recently the torque converter on our 1150c case bulldozer started throwing fluid from the top inspection plate above the rear of the motor. Since we also needed to change the ring gear on the flywheel we removed the motor and converter housing together. After teardown we found a long maybe 4-5" crack stemming from one of the perimeter bolt holes on the housing. We had the weld routed and welded at a shop that deals with cases and turbines. All internal components, bearings, seals were replaced. After reassembly the machine ran great for roughly an hour and began to throw fluid from the same area. I assume the crack may have reopened next to the weld but before i remove it and tear it down again i thought id ask if anyone has any input as to other things to check. If you fill the machine with fluid to its proper level it will push fine and shows above 300psi on the converter gauge untill it loses enough fluid. Thanks all for any ideas.
Does the convertor housing have a scavenge pump or just a gravity drain check to see if there is a screen. that needs cleaned the oil has to return to the trans either by pump or by gravity. If the housing gets too much oil in it it will throw it out
I have seen lots cracks in those housings over the years - but never one 4-5"long! They are usually caused by careless assemblers that have not cleaned out the threaded holes for the 5/16" bolts. Either way, I've never seen a successful repair to one of those housings, I would be looking for a good used one.
I know this is an old post but I had that housing welder and the machine still leaked. Put this dozer back on the back burner as I had other projects to attend to. I attached picture of the crack. It was welded by a reputable shop that welds pump cases for plants. They didn’t know the material it was made out of though. We rebuilt it before installing also. It’s still slingling the fluid out of the top inspection plate. Any other ideas before I pull this heavy thing out again lol
It looks like the bolt was over torqued and cracked the rotating housing. You will need to replace the housing.